What's new

The Ammo Shortage

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Gun shows are currently attracting record numbers of people who are desperate to get what they need only to discover insane prices.

Many of these vendors are only doing this as a part-time gig and as secondary income. As a rule they will not lower their prices because while it's cash flow it's not profitable.

And then there are these idiots:

The shows I have been going to the guns have been fairly priced. Nothing really below MSRP but nothing really above either. There are a few vendors who try to gouge you but as long as you do your research you will be fine.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Too short on time to reload, just gotten out corrosive combloc 7.62x25mm ammo.

🤔 Forgot how much fun that round is to shoot, and it will help stretch the other ammo.

Got a text from a former brother in law, did I have any 38 or 45 to spare? 😕 I reload those, and just don't have factory ammo. Felt bad. He's on wait lists, and I know he has enough SD ammo, so.

AA

Crazy to think just a few years ago I was buying Norma .308 ammo from Midway for $139/200rds.

Hell, I thought the brass itself was worth that since I reload. (Norma is the best brass going not named Lapua.)

I could probably sell each of those boxes for $400 right now ...

Thats not "gouging," that's supply and demand. No one is going to accept a lower price for an item than someone will pay. No one.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My only experience with Norma brass was with some .308. One of the selling points was that it was already prepped, but the overall case length was way short.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This will make some folks mad and some folks furious but price gouging doesn't exist. It's a human construct.

This was PERFECTLY presented. Well worth the time. Analogous to my opinion of term limits: we get the Guvmint we DESERVE. If you want change, run for office.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have figured out the ammo shortage. It was all in Ft. Worth this past weekend at the Premier Gun Show. I have never seen so many vendors with tables packed full of ammo. No guns just ammo. Multiply that by lord knows how many shows across the US. It really pissed me off, no wonder the common man cannot buy any.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have figured out the ammo shortage. It was all in Ft. Worth this past weekend at the Premier Gun Show. I have never seen so many vendors with tables packed full of ammo. No guns just ammo. Multiply that by lord knows how many shows across the US. It really pissed me off, no wonder the common man cannot buy any.
What were the prices like?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Not quite :lol:... I "might" have seen just short of a half a million rounds of 9mm at a place I "might" have visited recently. Apparently they go thru about 40,000 rounds a month for proofing.

Last edited:
Academy now sells only 2 boxes..... and all they had 855 ($13) nd M8 ($24).... one each..... They had nothing else....but this was better than before.
ND the loco Wallies had some 308... now I think 4 of 20g and they will not sell any more. The good days of stoping at W before going to the range for some ammo are gone (4eva).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saw *two* lonely boxes of shotgun shells, one 12 and one 20, at wally.

Of course they were soon gone.

AA

"Price Gouging": a high-demand item you want that someone else has for sale at a price you're not willing to pay because you fooled around when you should have stocked up when it cost less when demand was lower.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Our Scheels store has more boxes of .28 and .16 gauge than .20, .12 and pistol ammo put together. When is the last time anyone saw that. :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There was an article in the last AR issue about the ammo shortage.

Zent, John. 2021. "America's Ammo Shortage: When Will It End?" American Rifleman, March 2021, pp 50-52.

They are saying it's due to people hoarding, new shooters, and panic buying, and the ammo makers are running at full speed. No idea of when things will get back to normal. Looks like it's the new toilet paper.

Glad I found a couple of boxes of .45 ACP a few weeks ago. All set on that and other calibers now. I just can't go burn it up a lot.

Top Bottom