What's new

That Windsor feeling! My journey with the Windsor from Above The Tie.

I think Simpson's Best is always nice, but once you learned how much more dense they pack their Super Badgers it's just no question for a face latherer - at least for me. And Manchurian, man, Manchurian is just the straightest tool for the job.
Apart from the Shavemac Rover I had shown here and some old brushes not really worth mentioning, I have only Chubbys (or is it Chubbies?), which I had shown here: #186
Don't know about Silvertip in other Simpson brushes, but my Chubby 2 Slvertip is a supersoft, superdense majesty. 😎

I'm keeping my finger's crossed for you, that you will find one! 🌞

As we here don't know, which parts Above The Tie will restock, probably you just want to drop them a line about their plans.
Also - just an idea - maybe it's worth asking them, if the SSR1 plate will do the job just the same as the R1. Blade gap is the same, but I don't know about the angle and exposure and what of these is defined via the top cap. However, the SSR1 plate will be slightly wider as the Windsor covers the sides of the blades.
And there's also the option, to shim down your H1 plate, see this thread: Modifying Safety Razor Aggressiveness & Efficiency with Blade, Shims, Reverse Shims, and Tape Strips

But hey, if you are like me, I know you will want the real thing. :wink2:

Totally agree as you know from my earlier reports here and I couldn't have said it any better. 🥂

Friends, thank you so much for sharing this, I really love how you like your Windsor Pro! Congratulations on this great razor! 🎆🤟✨

Here's to celebrate the Windsor Pro:

View attachment 1245487
Today I used the Windsor Pro aluminum with the CM1 plate, It gave me the efficiency of CR1 plate when used with Windsor Pro SS! I thought would keep the CM1 in the box to complete the collection, but hey, it works for me now. I have the Captain in manchurian and Emperor 2. Think will get a Chubby 2 in super sometime. For now, I think I have to use my other Simpson small collection.

I think Muhle stand fits well ATT Windsor Pro
That stand looks fantastic! How well does it hold the razor? Also does the top of the cap hit the stand? The Windsor is a great great razor and I've found the m and r copper plates work best for me. Coming from a Rockwell to this is night and day. Found my angle and I doubt I'll need to but another razor.

Seriously falling in love with the R1 geometry on my Classic Atlas, cant wait for the stainless R2 to arrive haha.

IMG_9126.jpg

That stand looks fantastic! How well does it hold the razor? Also does the top of the cap hit the stand? The Windsor is a great great razor and I've found the m and r copper plates work best for me. Coming from a Rockwell to this is night and day. Found my angle and I doubt I'll need to but another razor.
Hello. The Muhle stand hold Windsor perfectly. It holds the razor in a different angle, its a change. For me, the CR1 and CH1 works fine for me. The CM1 was a bit mild for me and needed more passes. But when I put the CM1 with the Alum. Pro, it became more efficient for me (more like the R). Here are some photos with the stand.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpeg
    Pic 1.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Pic2.jpeg
    Pic2.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Pic3.jpeg
    Pic3.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 29
Hello. The Muhle stand hold Windsor perfectly. It holds the razor in a different angle, its a change. For me, the CR1 and CH1 works fine for me. The CM1 was a bit mild for me and needed more passes. But when I put the CM1 with the Alum. Pro, it became more efficient for me (more like the R). Here are some photos with the stand.
Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to do that. I see that stand in my future,probably after the bathroom remodel. The CM1 works best when I shave about every 48 hours. The CR1 is better when it's been a few days,can't imagine using the CH1. Still in all a great razor.

Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to do that. I see that stand in my future,probably after the bathroom remodel. The CM1 works best when I shave about every 48 hours. The CR1 is better when it's been a few days,can't imagine using the CH1. Still in all a great razor.
It's my pleasure, hope the remodeling will be up to your satisfaction. Indeed, it is a great razor, enjoy

Nice, that's a polished version of the ATT I have, I have that copper plate, but with the brushed matte stainless steel cap and handle

Nice, that's a polished version of the ATT I have, I have that copper plate, but with the brushed matte stainless steel cap and handle
It is a Windsor Pro, and it comes polished. Wanted to get the Windsor, but found myself ok with the Pro. The copper plates fits well and is a pleasure to the eye

The Windsor is a great great razor and I've found the m and r copper plates work best for me. Coming from a Rockwell to this is night and day. Found my angle and I doubt I'll need to but another razor.

Hear, hear! Congratulations, Sir! 🍾

Seriously falling in love with the R1 geometry on my Classic Atlas, cant wait for the stainless R2 to arrive haha.

Fwiw, in the meantime @Above The Tie has confirmed, that the SSR1 baseplate would do the job just as the R1 plate would have done in your classic and that blade angle and exposure are regulated via the top cap as I had assumed. The only difference would be the width and of course the rinse slots.

The quality of production is sooo good, a pure joy to use, surely Windsor line is equally masterfully produced.

It's as good as it gets and I can hardly imagine, that there would be differences between both lines. I assume that Above The Tie has the same partner doing both series.

yes, from what I read that is most likely the case. I think I might alternate between H1 and R2 (when it arrives), I love the blade feel of both, but the H1 Classic aggressiveness is sometimes too much to get the job done, buffing my chin with it for example is not the most practical solution on daily basis. R1 seems to have equal blade feel - which I love, the feedback just feels so precise - but is way less aggressive while still giving a very efficient, smooth shave that last hours. to be honest, if I ever buy another razor it will be for the fun of it, not because I "need" one, these two plates seem to be all I would ever need. The quality of production is sooo good, a pure joy to use, surely Windsor line is equally masterfully produced.
Today I used the Windsor Pro aluminum with the CM1 plate, It gave me the efficiency of CR1 plate when used with Windsor Pro SS! I thought would keep the CM1 in the box to complete the collection, but hey, it works for me now.

Ain't it just great that all the plates are interchangeable across all their razors apart from only probably cosmetics. I must definitely try my Windsor bases with the Pro-cap some day.
And because of this and though I don't need anything else, for the fun I will add upcoming plates to my Windsors. :biggrin1:

The Muhle stand hold Windsor perfectly.

It looks great! I had thoughts about adding a second stand from ATT, but I will keep it with the one for my bathroom and for my den, I plan to make a nice board from wood that holds my Windsors and also has slots for the plates. ... someday. :wink:

I think the matte Windsor also look extremely nice with the copper plate ( as shown here #1 ). The mixed look with the polished Windsor just has that extra glamour-wow. 🕶

Hear, hear! Congratulations, Sir! 🍾

Fwiw, in the meantime @Above The Tie has confirmed, that the SSR1 baseplate would do the job just as the R1 plate would have done in your classic and that blade angle and exposure are regulated via the top cap as I had assumed. The only difference would be the width and of course the rinse slots.

It's as good as it gets and I can hardly imagine, that there would be differences between both lines. I assume that Above The Tie has the same partner doing both series.

Ain't it just great that all the plates are interchangeable across all their razors apart from only probably cosmetics. I must definitely try my Windsor bases with the Pro-cap some day.
And because of this and though I don't need anything else, for the fun I will add upcoming plates to my Windsors. :biggrin1:

It looks great! I had thoughts about adding a second stand from ATT, but I will keep it with the one for my bathroom and for my den, I plan to make a nice board from wood that holds my Windsors and also has slots for the plates. ... someday. :wink:

I think the matte Windsor also look extremely nice with the copper plate ( as shown here #1 ). The mixed look with the polished Windsor just has that extra glamour-wow. 🕶
A wooden shelf, that's a great idea. looking forward for more pictures

Although efficient, the aluminum was too light for me too. Adding a copper or stainless base plate to it gives some heft.
Exactly that, it looks kind of cool, blue in steel, but the lightness of it is somewhat annoying and off putting, the full setup just feels better while moving on the face, it is literally cutting with its own weight. Or maybe its just in my head, but still, it annoys me haha

I love my Windsor Pro aluminum. It shaves smooth but very close, I like the blade gap which allows for more angles. It has just the right amount of blade feel. I might as well sell the rest of my razors. ATT hit the sweet spot with this razor. If you don't have a Calypso SB90, you have to get one. You won't be sorry.

ATT Windsor Pro.JPG

It has just the right amount of blade feel. I might as well sell the rest of my razors. ATT hit the sweet spot with this razor.

This is what makes the Classic so perfect for me haha, indeed we all like different things. And I do get great smooth shaves from both H and R plates, but that sweet sweet espresso of the blade feel... nothing like feeling that Feather on my skin!

Top Bottom