What's new

That Windsor feeling! My journey with the Windsor from Above The Tie.

I am loving my new RazoRock Stainless Steel Lupo .72, and I plan not to buy another razor for a long time
(I am also lucky enough to regularly enjoy my Timeless Bronze SB, Timeless Aluminum, and Rockwell 6C) .....
but these gorgeous photos and wonderful narrative about the Windsor have me suffering from RAD again !!!

same here, had I not owned the Atlas these images here would make me pull the trigger on the Windsor indeed :D

Thank you! :001_smile

I see we have some things and preferences in common. 😎
Also have a Futur here, which I also used at those settings. But at some point my R41 had become my daily razor, which now finally is the Windsor SSH1.
With the Futur and R41 the Feather was my favourite blade and otherwise I used ASP in these and other razors, both I used simply out of habit. With the Windsor I thought I should be open to other blades and I'm glad I tried some. I have stellar shaves with the Perma Sharp, in fact the first shave with it in the SSH1 was a revelation and a massive surprise. Efficient and sharp similar to the Feather but so unbelievably more tender in comparison. I think I used the term 'like an oil-coated Feather' before as a description. And I had wonderful shaves with the GSB in my Windsor. Both have become my favourites now, I will have to see, if I will choose one for this and the other for that Windsor (Pro) configuration or if I will go simply with the Perma Sharp alone. Both blades were also more constant and longer usable than the Feather and the ASP for me.

I know you speak of the copper plates for the older razors from ATT and I wondered if I should pick these also. I could use them with my Windsor head, though this is slightly wider, but my config here is just such a dream match, that I ordered also copper baseplates from Above The Tie, but the ones for the Windsor. Just because the mixed metal looks so sexy and I think I will like their additional weight also. They arrived this morning.

Many thanks for your support here once again! :thumbup1:
I didn't want to pass along hear-say, so I'm glad you dropped by! And @musicman1951 , yes, you can use your handles!

Nice! I had a look at the Atlas H1 also, but then finally settled with the Windsor set. I understood (read on the web), that your H1 is slightly more aggressive, which wouldn't be an issue for, in fact I always appreciate such shaving. However as efficient as my Windsor SSH1 does the job, I'm on cloud nine on that end. Thank you for dropping by! 🌞

--

Here's a new picture to show the polished bottom of the base plate of the Windsor Pro Kronos SB90. It is bead blasted on it's top side as well as the underside of the beautiful polished top cap is. All areas that contact the blade have that smooth satin finish that you can notice when you look through the rinse slots:

View attachment 1236991
Never tried Perma Sharp. Will order, thanks for the feedback :0)

Wow beautiful pic :thumbup1::w00t:
same here, had I not owned the Atlas these images here would make me pull the trigger on the Windsor indeed :D

Thank you very much, fellows! 👊

Stunning photo!

Thank you so much, S.! Glad you like it! 🌞

I am loving my new RazoRock Stainless Steel Lupo .72, and I plan not to buy another razor for a long time
(I am also lucky enough to regularly enjoy my Timeless Bronze SB, Timeless Aluminum, and Rockwell 6C) .....
but these gorgeous photos and wonderful narrative about the Windsor have me suffering from RAD again !!!

Thx for your kind words, mate! You're absolutely good & great with your fine collection of amazing razors, but well ... you know, not having one from Above The Tie is like having some Grateful Dead records, but not their first album. :wink2:

Never tried Perma Sharp. Will order, thanks for the feedback :0)

Thank _you_! I get at least four brilliant shaves out of a Perma Sharp and then it's still good. Hope you'll like it! :)

The remaining stock of the Classic and Windsor lines are selling out fast.
I got a Windsor head in Scratch&Dent for a good price, with a further 15% off.

Super! I ordered additional copper plates for my Windsor from their current sales section. 😎

Hello. My error, the copper base plates I purchased were CM1,CR1 & Ch1. And as you said, very sexy with Windsor. I recently ordered the Alum. Windsor pro. just for the fun of having various combination in material and color.
Always beautiful pics & refined taste

My dearest thanks! So cool you got a Windsor Pro on top, I would bet you will like it. And, ah, the copper plates! Mine arrived and here's my classic Windsor with one of them. Because of ... you know why! 🍻

210315_14046-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Shavemac_Rover2BST.jpg

And a special note to @Tirvine : I didn't tag you then, but my prior picture from Monday was meant as a Guerlain-fist bump to you. 👊:biggrin1:

Last edited:

Thx for your kind words, mate! You're absolutely good & great with your fine collection of amazing razors, but well ... you know, not having one from Above The Tie is like having some Grateful Dead records, but not their first album. :wink2:

Thank _you_! I get at least four brilliant shaves out of a Perma Sharp and then it's still good. Hope you'll like it! :)

Super! I ordered additional copper plates for my Windsor from their current sales section. 😎

My dearest thanks! So cool you got a Windsor Pro on top, I would bet you will like it. And, ah, the copper plates! Mine arrived and here's my classic Windsor with one of them. Because of ... you know why! 🍻

View attachment 1237772

And a special note to @Tirvine : I didn't tag you then, but my prior picture from Monday was meant as a Guerlain-fist bump to you. 👊:biggrin1:
Again, amazing photo. Great subject matter of course!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

View attachment 1237772

It was duly noted. Lovely photography!

View attachment 1237772

Dear friend, a superb picture. You capture the beauty of each item!
I received my Windsor Pro aluminum, it gives an excellent shave. It is light, but surprisingly very efficient. putting a copper or stainless base plate changes the balance and weight of the head in a positive way too. So having the possibility of matching different colors and various shaving settings is just wonderful. With the 25% discount on ATT aluminum, I think it is a Great deal to grab both Windsor Pro's. Fantastic shaves. I added the Captain's choice shaving bowl to my order and very happy with it.

First shave today with my Windsor SSR1. Great shave indeed. It took off 5 days growth with little effort. I'm very happy with it I must say. Very smooth and comfortable and not at all a scary razor. It will sit well next to my Timeless .68, Game Changer .68OC and EJ 3ONE6. I'm glad I bought the USA made Windsor before they sell out. :thumbup1:

@J.Atique & @Dave-the-rave :
Thank you for being here with me and sharing your thoughts and findings! 🌞

Regarding your experiences with the Windsor Pro and the SSR1, well both are just stellar razors. While I'm evaluating - aka experiencing, it will stay with me together with my classic Windsors anyway - the Windsor Pro I went back to the SSR1 this morning.
The SSR1 is a mild shaving machine for my usual habits, but I was just amazed again, how efficient it does the job. I haven't made up my mind yet, if I would describe the Windsor Pro more as a milder SSH1 or rather a more efficient SSR1. Both would be correct, but for now I would emphasize the latter.
However the differences are as sophisticated as the machines themselves are and I must really say, that the Windsor SSR1 and SSH1 as well as the Windsor Pro taught me a new lesson about fine shaving, my morning routines have never been that good.

Ah, and as Mühle has just introduced a Stainless Steel version of the R41, I want to add, that I'm glad it's not January anymore. Until then I would have instantly ordered that new R41 edition as it was my daily favourite choice. For years I wished Mühle would make a solid R41. But then my Windsor set arrived and you know how things went since then. When I learned about the news from Mühle, something unexpected happened here:
For a second my reflex woke up and wanted to buy it, but in the next second it went poof and was gone. As mentioned before, the SSH1 has totally replaced the R41 for me and ... yeah, I definitely consider the SSH1 as superior. So happy!

Here's a family picture. :biggrin1:

210319_14050-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Windsor_Pro-family_f.jpg

Last edited:
M

member 119848

Sir, if you´re not already a professional photographer then you should become one.
I have never seen photos that compliment razors so well.

And the photos with the Guerlain bottles... it makes me want to pull the trigger on a Windsor, but makes me thirsty as well. I know they´re colognes but feels like whiskey! lol

@Fabi , ich danke dir sehr herzlich for your warmhearted as well as funny appreciation! 🥂

No photo-pro here, I'm just doing for fun and wellness ... like some kind of meditation.

Here's a new one, it was meant to showcase primarily the brush, but somehow the beautiful Windsor Pro sneaked into the scene:

210322_14064-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Simpson-Chubby3SIV.jpg

Note: The handle is a replacement which Shavemac kindly made to restore my broken Chubby 3's one and save the knot. Dimensions are the same, the upper section and the engraving differ minimally from the original, but it needs a Simpson aficionado to note this.
The custom 2-band Silvertip Rover Bernd "Mr. Shavemac" Blos did for me with the same order I had shown above in #44

@Fabi , thx, again! 🌞

Here's a slightly different set-up and this time it was the Windsor SSH1 with a copper base that miraculously managed to slip into the scene.

Yeah, Tabac is Champions League! My favourite soap is MWF, but almost everyone knows Tabac and I wanted to show the size of the Chubby 3 Super so I placed it on the lid from the Tabac bowl. :001_smile

210322_14061-AboveTheTie-Windsor-Pro_Simpson-Chubby3SIV.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@Fabi , thx, again! 🌞

Here's a slightly different set-up and this time it was the Windsor SSH1 with a copper base that miraculously managed to slip into the scene.

Yeah, Tabac is Champions League! My favourite soap is MWF, but almost everyone knows Tabac and I wanted to show the size of the Chubby 3 Super so I placed it on the lid from the Tabac bowl. :001_smile

View attachment 1240796

Love the Mixed Metal ATT razors! 😍

And the Chubby 3 Super ain't too bad either. :)

@J.Atique & @Dave-the-rave :
Thank you for being here with me and sharing your thoughts and findings! 🌞

Regarding your experiences with the Windsor Pro and the SSR1, well both are just stellar razors. While I'm evaluating - aka experiencing, it will stay with me together with my classic Windsors anyway - the Windsor Pro I went back to the SSR1 this morning.
The SSR1 is a mild shaving machine for my usual habits, but I was just amazed again, how efficient it does the job. I haven't made up my mind yet, if I would describe the Windsor Pro more as a milder SSH1 or rather a more efficient SSR1. Both would be correct, but for now I would emphasize the latter.
However the differences are as sophisticated as the machines themselves are and I must really say, that the Windsor SSR1 and SSH1 as well as the Windsor Pro taught me a new lesson about fine shaving, my morning routines have never been that good.

Ah, and as Mühle has just introduced a Stainless Steel version of the R41, I want to add, that I'm glad it's not January anymore. Until then I would have instantly ordered that new R41 edition as it was my daily favourite choice. For years I wished Mühle would make a solid R41. But then my Windsor set arrived and you know how things went since then. When I learned about the news from Mühle, something unexpected happened here:
For a second my reflex woke up and wanted to buy it, but in the next second it went poof and was gone. As mentioned before, the SSH1 has totally replaced the R41 for me and ... yeah, I definitely consider the SSH1 as superior. So happy!

Here's a family picture. :biggrin1:

View attachment 1240289
Hello. how would you rate the CH1 to SSH1? I have the CH1 that I alternatively use with the Pro and was wondering if the SSH1 is any different?

Only Windsor Pro
I believe the Windsor Pro is the only ATT razor in production at this time.
If so it would be correct to say they are all made in China.
ATT have said they are currently considering US production of materials other than
stainless.

Yep! And @CJB3 , their latest release announced this March, their Single Edge Slant X1 - Solid Bar, is "hand crafted from solid 303 stainless steel here in the USA" according to the product page .

Top Bottom