What's new

That Windsor feeling! My journey with the Windsor from Above The Tie.

Good to know they are continuing with some US production.

I always appreciate, when a product is 'homemade', no matter the country! I'm German, btw. I had very well read how straight Above The Tie describes the Windsor Pro as an improvement and also noticed, that every owner totally praised the Windsor Pro. When I decided to order the classic Windsor instead, it was because of the different plates available and that I loved the look of it so much and especially wanted the Atlas handle for my new razor. But the 'Made in USA' background was a bonus attraction to me. 😎

Hello. how would you rate the CH1 to SSH1? I have the CH1 that I alternatively use with the Pro and was wondering if the SSH1 is any different?

I would rate it as very, very sexy! 😹

My friend, I'm curious about it myself. I got it because I love my SSH1 so much and because the mixed look is so nice and I also expect, that it's heavier weight gives a bonus in handling on top, though I don't miss anything with the steel base. But as I'm still switching between the Windsor Pro and the SSR1 and SSH1, I didn't have the time so far to try the CH1. But it will happen anytime soon and I'll report. 🌞

Love the Mixed Metal ATT razors! 😍

And the Chubby 3 Super ain't too bad either. :)

Thank you! 🍻

Here they are again:

210324_14088-AboveTheTie-Windsor-Pro_Simpson-Chubby3SIV.jpg

Last edited:
I always appreciate, when a product is 'homemade', no matter the country! I'm German, btw. I had very well read how straight Above The Tie describes the Windsor Pro as an improvement and also noticed, that every owner totally praised the Windsor Pro. When I decided to order the classic Windsor instead, it was because of the different plates available and that I loved the look of it so much and especially wanted the Atlas handle for my new razor. But the 'Made in USA' background was a bonus attraction to me. 😎

I would rate it as very, very sexy! 😹

My friend, I'm curious about it myself. I got it because I love my SSH1 so much and because the mixed look is so nice and I also expect, that it's heavier weight gives a bonus in handling on top, though I don't miss anything with the steel base. But as I'm still switching between the Windsor Pro and the SSR1 and SSH1, I didn't have the time so far to try the CH1. But it will happen anytime soon and I'll report. 🌞

Thank you! 🍻

Here they are again:

View attachment 1241173
Well said regarding country of production, cannot agree more!!. Many factors come in play, and it's not the first company to do that. They have strict QC to specific standards, and that shows in the Pro.
Looking forward to your input regarding CH1/SSH1 and the WindsorPro marriage ;0)

Love it! Thank you! 😎

I like the Windsor line, however I am sad to see the Classic line dwindling, I hope they will not discontinue it.

While I don't know the Classic line models, I want to add that I hope, they don't discontinue the original Windsor. Or if, I would suggest, that they also offer - for the Windsor Pro - copper baseblates as the mixed look is such a beautiful option but in any case that they extend the range of baseplates for the new Pro line. Above The Tie has announced an 'open comb' model, but I haven't found specs so far and don't know, how it will shave.

I say this because so far, I don't consider the Windsor Pro a replacement for the Windsor SSH1, which I absolutely love. Though the blade gap of the Pro suggest it to be more like the SSH1, I found it nearer to the SSR1.

Well said regarding country of production, cannot agree more!!. Many factors come in play, and it's not the first company to do that. They have strict QC to specific standards, and that shows in the Pro.
Looking forward to your input regarding CH1/SSH1 and the WindsorPro marriage ;0)

I didn't combine the CH1 or SSH plates with the Pro so far. The idea crossed my mind but that would be an experiment for later for me.

Here's my feedback after the first CH1 shave this morning:

I would think that you want the SSH1 plate if you want to have a different balance of the razor due to the lighter SSH1 plate and/or if you wished, that the CH1 was slighty more slippery.

The weight difference is not really much, the CH1 is 4 grams more than the SSH1. My not so bad but far from perfect kitchen scale also showed 3 grams once, but 4 grams on five different weighings. 4 gram is the weight of an empty roll of toilet paper, just to give an idea related to something to be found in any household. 😹 Btw, the SSR1 is 2 grams more than the SSH1.
With a razor blade on the skin and with the short Atlas handle I would say, that I notice a difference compared to the SSH1 and I like it. But again, it's not much, it's absolute fine-tuning towards slightly more heavy or lighter.

Regarding slickness: The copper feels a bit more blunt compared to the polished stainless steel plates. With the finger sliding above the top of the baseplates (the area where the blades rests on) or along the edges of the safety bar, there's an ever so slight chance that the flesh get's stopped with the copper. But that would only - if at all - become an issue if the lather is not well hydrated or the razor is dry or if pressure is be applied. It was no issue for me, but as the dimensions and shape of both plates are identical, it's the only difference apart from the weight, that I can find if I look really hard.

So, if you aren't looking for a different balance and have no issues with the slickness, I see no functional reason to add the SSH plate.

--

Here's - according to ATT's terminology - the Windsor MM CH1 with my custom Shavemac Rover. I had shown the other side of the Rover here before in #44 :

210324_14098-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Shavemac_Rover2BST.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely image again mate.
ATT seems to be losing their focus, almost like they have no clear strategy or vision, nobody seems to know what exactly is going on there. Half the inventory is out of stock, new things showing up that diverge from the previous brand values. i would hate to see the company drifting into oblivion under new management, as I really like the razors and would love to continue to build my collection. Just feeling a bit uncertain what is going on there haha.

Love it! Thank you! 😎

While I don't know the Classic line models, I want to add that I hope, they don't discontinue the original Windsor. Or if, I would suggest, that they also offer - for the Windsor Pro - copper baseblates as the mixed look is such a beautiful option but in any case that they extend the range of baseplates for the new Pro line. Above The Tie has announced an 'open comb' model, but I haven't found specs so far and don't know, how it will shave.

I say this because so far, I don't consider the Windsor Pro a replacement for the Windsor SSH1, which I absolutely love. Though the blade gap of the Pro suggest it to be more like the SSH1, I found it nearer to the SSR1.

I didn't combine the CH1 or SSH plates with the Pro so far. The idea crossed my mind but that would be an experiment for later for me.

Here's my feedback after the first CH1 shave this morning:

I would think that you want the SSH1 plate if you want to have a different balance of the razor due to the lighter SSH1 plate and/or if you wished, that the CH1 was slighty more slippery.

The weight difference is not really much, the CH1 is 4 grams more than the SSH1. My not so bad but far from perfect kitchen scale also showed 3 grams once, but 4 grams on five different weighings. 4 gram is the weight of an empty roll of toilet paper, just to give an idea related to something to be found in any household. 😹 Btw, the SSR1 is 2 grams more than the SSH1.
With a razor blade on the skin and with the short Atlas handle I would say, that I notice a difference compared to the SSH1 and I like it. But again, it's not much, it's absolute fine-tuning towards slightly more heavy or lighter.

Regarding slickness: The copper feels a bit more blunt compared to the polished stainless steel plates. With the finger sliding above the top of the baseplates (the area where the blades rests on) or along the edges of the safety bar, there's an ever so slight chance that the flesh get's stopped with the copper. But that would only - if at all - become an issue if the lather is not well hydrated or the razor is dry or if pressure is be applied. It was no issue for me, but as the dimensions and shape of both plates are identical, it's the only difference apart from the weight, that I can find if I look really hard.

So, if you aren't looking for a different balance and have no issues with the slickness, I see no functional reason to add the SSH plate.

--

Here's - according to ATT's terminology - the Windsor MM CH1 with my custom Shavemac Rover. I had shown the other side of the Rover here before in #44 :

View attachment 1241704
Thank you dear friend for the reply. It is exactly what I realized when putting the CH1 with the Pro. That's why I was wondering if the SSH1 would be any better.

ATT seems to be losing their focus, almost like they have no clear strategy or vision, nobody seems to know what exactly is going on there. Half the inventory is out of stock, new things showing up that diverge from the previous brand values. i would hate to see the company drifting into oblivion under new management, as I really like the razors and would love to continue to build my collection. Just feeling a bit uncertain what is going on there haha.

I don't share that impression. It's pretty obvious from their offers that they are streamlining their inventory and I'm pretty sure, that they are reducing the options in finish for some models. Question is, if they keep the Classic and/or Windsor, but if I would bet we will see rather only one dedicated finish (polished, brushed or satin matte) for these.
The only thing I can see that differs from the usual expection is the Windsor Pro introduced last year as it's hot homemade. Prtobably that's a clever move as it makes an ATT razor available to more folks and Aluminium also for those who appreciate lightweight razors.
What reassures me the most about their way ahead is that their brandnew model, the X1 single edge slant, is made in USA again. And somehow I mean to remember from a dream I had recently, that they will introduce a new razor later this year. ;)

Thank you dear friend for the reply. It is exactly what I realized when putting the CH1 with the Pro. That's why I was wondering if the SSH1 would be any better.

I can't say if this will hold in the long run for me, but after two shaves with the CH1 and the third with the SSH1 again, it could be that I prefer the stainless steel plates. Just a feeling, that it glides better.

It's a good morning

Wonderful! Thank you so much, love this post and picture! 🌞

I think Muhle stand fits well ATT Windsor Pro

Aha! That's a great hint. And a Chubby 3! Super! 👊😎

--

Today I was too busy for my daily shave and probably tomorrow I will be too lazy, so this is from yesterday:

210328_14113-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Chubby2STBSff.jpg

I don't share that impression. It's pretty obvious from their offers that they are streamlining their inventory and I'm pretty sure, that they are reducing the options in finish for some models. Question is, if they keep the Classic and/or Windsor, but if I would bet we will see rather only one dedicated finish (polished, brushed or satin matte) for these.
The only thing I can see that differs from the usual expection is the Windsor Pro introduced last year as it's hot homemade. Prtobably that's a clever move as it makes an ATT razor available to more folks and Aluminium also for those who appreciate lightweight razors.
What reassures me the most about their way ahead is that their brandnew model, the X1 single edge slant, is made in USA again. And somehow I mean to remember from a dream I had recently, that they will introduce a new razor later this year. ;)

I can't say if this will hold in the long run for me, but after two shaves with the CH1 and the third with the SSH1 again, it could be that I prefer the stainless steel plates. Just a feeling, that it glides better.

Wonderful! Thank you so much, love this post and picture! 🌞

Aha! That's a great hint. And a Chubby 3! Super! 👊😎

--

Today I was too busy for my daily shave and probably tomorrow I will be too lazy, so this is from yesterday:

View attachment 1243627
My pictures in no way compare to yours ;-)
I see myself using the Pro more often.
On the side, Chubbies are great, should have purchased the Super or Manchurian. Simpsons Manchurian and Super suited me better. Best brushes were not consistent for me. Enjoy the day and shaves :)

maybe Im'm jut bitter because I see them do cheap models in China and I can't get a SS base plate for my Classic head, which I love :) H1 is amazing but I wanted an R1 as well for those after-a-sleepless-night-shave and all they have are open combs.

My pictures in no way compare to yours ;-)
On the side, Chubbies are great, should have purchased the Super or Manchurian. Simpsons Manchurian and Super suited me better. Best brushes were not consistent for me.

I think Simpson's Best is always nice, but once you learned how much more dense they pack their Super Badgers it's just no question for a face latherer - at least for me. And Manchurian, man, Manchurian is just the straightest tool for the job.
Apart from the Shavemac Rover I had shown here and some old brushes not really worth mentioning, I have only Chubbys (or is it Chubbies?), which I had shown here: #186
Don't know about Silvertip in other Simpson brushes, but my Chubby 2 Slvertip is a supersoft, superdense majesty. 😎

maybe Im'm jut bitter because I see them do cheap models in China and I can't get a SS base plate for my Classic head, which I love :) H1 is amazing but I wanted an R1 as well for those after-a-sleepless-night-shave and all they have are open combs.

I'm keeping my finger's crossed for you, that you will find one! 🌞

As we here don't know, which parts Above The Tie will restock, probably you just want to drop them a line about their plans.
Also - just an idea - maybe it's worth asking them, if the SSR1 plate will do the job just the same as the R1. Blade gap is the same, but I don't know about the angle and exposure and what of these is defined via the top cap. However, the SSR1 plate will be slightly wider as the Windsor covers the sides of the blades.
And there's also the option, to shim down your H1 plate, see this thread: Modifying Safety Razor Aggressiveness & Efficiency with Blade, Shims, Reverse Shims, and Tape Strips

But hey, if you are like me, I know you will want the real thing. :wink2:

It's a keeper. Smoother and more comfortable and efficient than my SS Windsor with R plate.
I'll be moving the SS Windsor on and keeping this.

Totally agree as you know from my earlier reports here and I couldn't have said it any better. 🥂

Yesterday my ATT Windsor Pro SS arrived, and today was my first shave with a fresh Shark blade. it was a very smooth and efficient 2-pass shave. Look and feel are flawless.

View attachment 1243910
First shave today with the Windsor Pro Aluminium.

View attachment 1244515

Friends, thank you so much for sharing this, I really love how you like your Windsor Pro! Congratulations on this great razor! 🎆🤟✨

Here's to celebrate the Windsor Pro:

210401_14125-AboveTheTie-Windsor-Pro_TdH.jpg

Last edited:
I got the aluminum R1, feels great, but I could not help myself and I also ordered the stainless steel R2. Open comb is not my preference, but, the geometry is suppose to be the same, so it will do. R1 is great, easy to use, still tonne of blade feel but zero chance of injury, buffing is also A LOT easier than with H1, might just become my daily. especially when the stainless steel one arrives, I'll survive the open comb even though I do prefer the bar.

I got the aluminum R1....

LOL! There you can see how little I know about the Classic 'family'. I didn't even remember that they make an Alu-Classic.

Super, that's by far the best solution! :thumbup1:

R1 is great, easy to use, still tonne of blade feel but zero chance of injury, buffing is also A LOT easier than with H1, might just become my daily. especially when the stainless steel one arrives, I'll survive the open comb even though I do prefer the bar.

Sounds great and I have a good idea about the difference between H1 and R1, when I abstract from my Windsor plates. And probably would go this route also, but in case of the Windsor with it's more muted blade feel and less exposure, I'm already 'there' with the SSH1.

Sounds great and I have a good idea about the difference between H1 and R1, when I abstract from my Windsor plates. And probably would go this route also, but in case of the Windsor with it's more muted blade feel and less exposure, I'm already 'there' with the SSH1.

yes, from what I read that is most likely the case. I think I might alternate between H1 and R2 (when it arrives), I love the blade feel of both, but the H1 Classic aggressiveness is sometimes too much to get the job done, buffing my chin with it for example is not the most practical solution on daily basis. R1 seems to have equal blade feel - which I love, the feedback just feels so precise - but is way less aggressive while still giving a very efficient, smooth shave that last hours. to be honest, if I ever buy another razor it will be for the fun of it, not because I "need" one, these two plates seem to be all I would ever need. The quality of production is sooo good, a pure joy to use, surely Windsor line is equally masterfully produced.

Top Bottom