What's new

That Windsor feeling! My journey with the Windsor from Above The Tie.

WHAAAT? What.Is.Going.On.Here?!

When I switched to the Windsor in it's SSR1 configuration on February 13, I would have bet everything in my den, that I would get some very nice shaves with the R-base and then say "okay, back to level H and done". Glad no one asked me!
Instead I experienced _extremely_ nice, truly fantastic shaves. I know that I can get BBS with probably the mildest razors out there anyway and let's take the Merkur 34 or Mühle/Jagger 89, no problem, it's just more work and clean ups.

But I wasn't prepared for how
- efficient
- while so tender
- and effortless
the Windsor SSR1 does the job!

I spent more than two weeks of daily shaves with each three passes as usual with the R-base mounted now. I started out with the ASP Green, which I had taken over from the H as reported, then had five gorgeous days with one and the same Gillette Silver Blue, which I could have probably used for more shaves, but then switched to a new Perma Sharp and finally used a Sword.
Pure joy and easy feeling shaving, it's like I'm just flying over my skin , free of worries and I end up with very fine close shaves without any irritation. And I must admit, I felt like my skin loved the softer treatment - while I loved the smooth results.

Three days ago I went back to the SSH1 and it instantly felt a bit aggressive. Of course the skin adjusts to the treatment it receives and we ourselves also adjust. And probably I was using the H-plate a bit too careless as I was so used to do now with the R-variant or it was also that the Perma Sharp had lost it's coating.
However, I want to substantiate this experience and today I went back to level R and will give it some further days and then will return to exploring the H with it's higher blade gap again.

I'll be back! 🌞

And of course I have a picture:

210301_14000-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Chubby1M.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I will postpone further reports about the Windsor and it's plates, because something special arrived and wants to be experienced!

I proudly present my new Windsor Pro:

210307_14013-Above-The-Tie_Windsor-Pro_Chubby2STBS.jpg

You can already see the more prominent blade exposure compared to the classic Windsor and here's a zoom for more detail to show the bead-blasted top of the base plate (while it's polished underneath) and the beautiful mirror-polish of the cap:

210307_14013-Above-The-Tie_Windsor-Pro_Chubby2STBS_detail.jpg

cu! 🎇

Great thread. Any updates on the Pro? I just caved and bought a polished Windsor head with R plate.
Was gonna buy something I knew I would regret so buying the Windsor saved me. Kinda.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Although my SSR1 arrived a day too late for FFFMM, I have been using it with the same other elements (hot water pre, MdC Fougere lather with a BK4, three passes with a Crystal, and 4711 cologne splashed on as aftershave). It yields extremely comfortable BBS "10" shaves. It requires less work than the AS-D2 did to get the cheeks BBS. I cannot imagine a finer razor.

Well, I will postpone further reports about the Windsor and it's plates, because something special arrived and wants to be experienced!

I proudly present my new Windsor Pro:

View attachment 1233904

You can already see the more prominent blade exposure compared to the classic Windsor and here's a zoom for more detail to show the bead-blasted top of the base plate (while it's polished underneath) and the beautiful mirror-polish of the cap:

View attachment 1233906

cu! 🎇
Congratulations. It is my favorite razor

Although my SSR1 arrived a day too late for FFFMM, I have been using it with the same other elements (hot water pre, MdC Fougere lather with a BK4, three passes with a Crystal, and 4711 cologne splashed on as aftershave). It yields extremely comfortable BBS "10" shaves. It requires less work than the AS-D2 did to get the cheeks BBS. I cannot imagine a finer razor.

Yep, I totally get this! The Windsor SSR1 is a spectacular combination of efficiency and mildness. Weren't I coming from a background with years of agressive shaving, the SSR1 could easily be my standard. For now I still prefer the SSH1. In any case I totally love the muted blade-feel of the Windsor. 😎

Congratulations. It is my favorite razor

Thank you so much! And I already have a very concrete idea why, see below. 👊

I just caved and bought a polished Windsor head with R plate.
Was gonna buy something I knew I would regret so buying the Windsor saved me. Kinda.

Superb! See my comments above and reports earlier. And quite a clever thought I can only applaude. Loving this hobby it's so - too - easy to fall for so many - too many - nice pieces. ;)
This is why I went all-in with the complete set of the Windsor and it totally worked out for me.

Great thread. Any updates on the Pro?

Thank you very much! 🌞

Well, I wanted to have a few shaves, before I give you a first feedback. I had one initial shave with the Windsor Pro after the happy unboxing - as you do. And then went back to the SSH1 for four days. I had switched quite much the Windsor plates and more so blades with them, that I wanted to have a constant experience with one and the same plate and blade before using the Windsor Pro. Yesterday and this morning I did shaves no. 2 and 3 with it with a new Perma Sharp like in the SSH1 before.

The Windsor Pro is a champ!

From the first strokes I was totally surprised how mild it felt and I am still enchanted. Given the almost identical value for the blade gaps (0.91 mm for the SSH1 and 0.90 for the Windsor Pro), I was astonished that it's mildness reminded me much more of the SSR1 (0.58) than of the H-configuration. It was so tender - without ever being deceptive - that I would have wanted to shave along for the whole day, so lovely the passes were.
Next to other changes with the Pro @Above The Tie also introduced a different blade angle and from what I understood, the blade gap is effectively more like 0.8 mm or feels like that.

I'm yet not sure if the Windsor Pro totally matches the efficiency of the classic SSH1 Windsor, future shaves will tell me about it. What is totally evident so far is, that given a similiar mildness but a higher efficiency the Windsor Pro shaves like a Windsor SSR1 on stereoids! 🔥

--

New pic featuring the Windsor Pro 'Kronos SB90':

210307_14019-Above-The-Tie_Windsor-Pro_Chubby1MIV.jpg

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yep, I totally get this! The Windsor SSR1 is a spectacular combination of efficiency and mildness. Weren't I coming from a background with years of agressive shaving, the SSR1 could easily be my standard. For now I still prefer the SSH1. In any case I totally love the muted blade-feel of the Windsor. 😎

Superb! See my comments above and reports earlier. And quite a clever thought I can only applaude. Loving this hobby it's so - too - easy to fall for so many - too many - nice pieces. ;)
This is why I went all-in with the complete set of the Windsor and it totally worked out for me.

Thank you very much! 🌞

Well, I wanted to have a few shaves, before I give you a first feedback. I had one initial shave with the Windsor Pro after the happy unboxing - as you do. And then went back to the SSH1 for four days. I had switched quite much the Windsor plates and more so blades with them, that I wanted to have a constant experience with one and the same plate and blade before using the Windsor Pro. Yesterday and this morning I did shaves no. 2 and 3 with it with a new Perma Sharp like in the SSH1 before.

From the first strokes I was totally surprised how mild it felt and I am still enchanted. Given the almost identical value for the blade gaps (0.91 mm for the SSH1 and 0.90 for the Windsor Pro), I was astonished that it's mildness reminded me much more of the SSR1 (0.58) than of the H-configuration. It was so tender - without ever being deceptive - that I would have wanted to shave along for the whole day, so lovely the passes were.
Next to other changes with the Pro @Above The Tie also introduced a different blade angle and from what I understood, the blade gap is effectively more like 0.8 mm or feels like that.

I'm yet not sure if the Windsor Pro totally matches the efficiency of the classic SSH1 Windsor, future shaves will tell me about it. What is totally evident so far is, that given a similiar mildness but a higher efficiency the Windsor Pro shaves like a Windsor SSR1 on stereoids! 🔥

--

View attachment 1236512
I miss Eau Sauvage being easier to obtain. It is an absolute favorite.

I miss Eau Sauvage being easier to obtain. It is an absolute favorite.
It.is! 🤗
I have all editions, love the Parfum too and also use the shaving balm and the deo-stick. Like with Pour Monsieur, another super-favorite of mine.
At least they didn't make Eau Sauvage a web-exclusive like my beloved the Dior Homme Parfum or the 2013 Dior Homme EdT to which's designation they added 'Original' to have a very different EdT in 2020 named Dior Homme then. Hmpf!

I have M1, M2, R1 and S1 ATT razors. Can you describe the difference I might feel with the SSR1 as opposed to the R1? I assume I can use one of my handles.
Hey Keith,
sorry, I can't help as I have no experience with other ATT razors than the Windsor and Windsor Pro. Hopefully someone who has joins us here for you! 🍀
Edit @musicman1951 : Or send a message to Matt from @Above The Tie , his support his first class!

Last edited:

Thank you very much! 🌞

--

View attachment 1236512
Beautiful pics!

Thank you very much! 🌞

--

View attachment 1236512
As yourself, I was looking for a razor that is premium, elegant and old style. So I purchased the Windsor Pro. I shave daily, heavy beard and kind of sensitive skin. I shave with Futur on settings 2.5 & 3 depending on the blade. I also have R41, but not my daily driver (very efficient but not most comfortable to shave daily with for me) seldom use it. I only use feather blades with Feather asd2. I use Astra, Persona, Voskhod and Gillette Nacet in my Windsor Pro and it shaves like a charm. I purchased the copper base plates (M1,R1 and H1) and they fit well with the Pro., the M1 is not for me though. Thank you for your posts!

I have M1, M2, R1 and S1 ATT razors. Can you describe the difference I might feel with the SSR1 as opposed to the R1? I assume I can use one of my handles.

The classic heads have the top cap which reveals a lot of blade.

The Windsor reveals a tiny 1mm (you can just see the blade edge beyond the cap).

This makes the razor feel like GEM razor in smoothness! It has minimal blade feel due to very little blade chatter.

Beautiful pics!

Thank you! :001_smile

As yourself, I was looking for a razor that is premium, elegant and old style. So I purchased the Windsor Pro. I shave daily, heavy beard and kind of sensitive skin. I shave with Futur on settings 2.5 & 3 depending on the blade. I also have R41, but not my daily driver (very efficient but not most comfortable to shave daily with for me) seldom use it. I only use feather blades with Feather asd2. I use Astra, Persona, Voskhod and Gillette Nacet in my Windsor Pro and it shaves like a charm. I purchased the copper base plates (M1,R1 and H1) and they fit well with the Pro., the M1 is not for me though. Thank you for your posts!

I see we have some things and preferences in common. 😎
Also have a Futur here, which I also used at those settings. But at some point my R41 had become my daily razor, which now finally is the Windsor SSH1.
With the Futur and R41 the Feather was my favourite blade and otherwise I used ASP in these and other razors, both I used simply out of habit. With the Windsor I thought I should be open to other blades and I'm glad I tried some. I have stellar shaves with the Perma Sharp, in fact the first shave with it in the SSH1 was a revelation and a massive surprise. Efficient and sharp similar to the Feather but so unbelievably more tender in comparison. I think I used the term 'like an oil-coated Feather' before as a description. And I had wonderful shaves with the GSB in my Windsor. Both have become my favourites now, I will have to see, if I will choose one for this and the other for that Windsor (Pro) configuration or if I will go simply with the Perma Sharp alone. Both blades were also more constant and longer usable than the Feather and the ASP for me.

I know you speak of the copper plates for the older razors from ATT and I wondered if I should pick these also. I could use them with my Windsor head, though this is slightly wider, but my config here is just such a dream match, that I ordered also copper baseplates from Above The Tie, but the ones for the Windsor. Just because the mixed metal looks so sexy and I think I will like their additional weight also. They arrived this morning.

The classic heads have the top cap which reveals a lot of blade.

The Windsor reveals a tiny 1mm (you can just see the blade edge beyond the cap).

This makes the razor feel like GEM razor in smoothness! It has minimal blade feel due to very little blade chatter.

Many thanks for your support here once again! :thumbup1:
I didn't want to pass along hear-say, so I'm glad you dropped by! And @musicman1951 , yes, you can use your handles!

glad to see you enjoying this one, I love my Atlas with H1 head.

Nice! I had a look at the Atlas H1 also, but then finally settled with the Windsor set. I understood (read on the web), that your H1 is slightly more aggressive, which wouldn't be an issue for, in fact I always appreciate such shaving. However as efficient as my Windsor SSH1 does the job, I'm on cloud nine on that end. Thank you for dropping by! 🌞

--

Here's a new picture to show the polished bottom of the base plate of the Windsor Pro Kronos SB90. It is bead blasted on it's top side as well as the underside of the beautiful polished top cap is. All areas that contact the blade have that smooth satin finish that you can notice when you look through the rinse slots:

210314_14023-Above-The-Tie_Windsor-Pro_Guerlain.jpg

Last edited:
I am loving my new RazoRock Stainless Steel Lupo .72, and I plan not to buy another razor for a long time
(I am also lucky enough to regularly enjoy my Timeless Bronze SB, Timeless Aluminum, and Rockwell 6C) .....
but these gorgeous photos and wonderful narrative about the Windsor have me suffering from RAD again !!!

Also have a Futur here, which I also used at those settings. But at some point my R41 had become my daily razor, which now finally is the Windsor SSH1.
With the Futur and R41 the Feather was my favourite blade and otherwise I used ASP in these and other razors, both I used simply out of habit. With the Windsor I thought I should be open to other blades and I'm glad I tried some. I have stellar shaves with the Perma Sharp, in fact the first shave with it in the SSH1 was a revelation and a massive surprise. Efficient and sharp similar to the Feather but so unbelievably more tender in comparison. I think I used the term 'like an oil-coated Feather' before as a description. And I had wonderful shaves with the GSB in my Windsor. Both have become my favourites now, I will have to see, if I will choose one for this and the other for that Windsor (Pro) configuration or if I will go simply with the Perma Sharp alone. Both blades were also more constant and longer usable than the Feather and the ASP for me.

I know you speak of the copper plates for the older razors from ATT and I wondered if I should pick these also. I could use them with my Windsor head, though this is slightly wider, but my config here is just such a dream match, that I ordered also copper baseplates from Above The Tie, but the ones for the Windsor. Just because the mixed metal looks so sexy and I think I will like their additional weight also. They arrived this morning.

I didn't want to pass along hear-say, so I'm glad you dropped by! And @musicman1951 , yes, you can use your handles!

Nice! I had a look at the Atlas H1 also, but then finally settled with the Windsor set. I understood (read on the web), that your H1 is slightly more aggressive, which wouldn't be an issue for, in fact I always appreciate such shaving. However as efficient as my Windsor SSH1 does the job, I'm on cloud nine on that end. Thank you for dropping by! 🌞

--

Here's a new picture to show the polished bottom of the base plate of the Windsor Pro Kronos SB90. It is bead blasted on it's top side as well as the underside of the beautiful polished top cap is. All areas that contact the blade have that smooth satin finish that you can notice when you look through the rinse slots:

View attachment 1236991
Stunning photo!

--

View attachment 1236991
Hello. My error, the copper base plates I purchased were CM1,CR1 & Ch1. And as you said, very sexy with Windsor. I recently ordered the Alum. Windsor pro. just for the fun of having various combination in material and color.
Always beautiful pics & refined taste

Top Bottom