What's new

Tempted to try an open comb razor

Good evening all.

As much as I love my 39c Sledgehammer I keep looking at the open comb razors as I know the design enables the blade to get even closer to the skin and there is no 'bar' which pushes the lather out of the way if you see what I mean. Another reason is that as my skills continue to develop I would like to push the envelope even further.

I get really really good results with my Sledgehammer, so I am wondering if using an open comb razor will achieve even better results. Or if the difference isn't that much; should I just stick with my Sledgehammer?

As always to everybody on this forum, your replies are warmly appreciated.

Jason.

Good evening all.

As much as I love my 39c Sledgehammer I keep looking at the open comb razors as I know the design enables the blade to get even closer to the skin and there is no 'bar' which pushes the lather out of the way if you see what I mean. Another reason is that as my skills continue to develop I would like to push the envelope even further.

I get really really good results with my Sledgehammer, so I am wondering if using an open comb razor will achieve even better results. Or if the difference isn't that much; should I just stick with my Sledgehammer?

As always to everybody on this forum, your replies are warmly appreciated.

Jason.
My recommendation is to definitely try an open comb. I usually shave with SE or injector razors, but when I use a DE razor, it's always an open comb. As a rule, open combs are much more efficient than most closed combs and not scary at all. You might want to start with a modern open comb such as a Merkur 15c, which is on the mild side. After trying the 15c, you could explore vintage open combs. I'm willing to try any razor except straight razors. Call me chicken, but the British call them "cutthroat razors."

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Jason just like SB razors some open comb razors are more aggressive than others. The open comb design does not make the blade any closer to your skin as some people think.

I just got a Fatip Lo Storto (aka the FOCS) and I love it. A big step up in efficiency from the Merkur 34C but not too aggressive. For the first time I’m experiencing bbs shaves that last all day.

I’m sure as my technique improves I’ll be able to make that achievement with a less efficient razor but the FOCS sure makes it easy.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There are some very nice OC slants to explore! The Above the Tie S2 is my favourite shaver of all time because it's still widely available. If you manage to find a Merkur "Super Slant" OC -- they're out there, somewhere -- watch your back because I really want one. :)

The FOCS -- Fatip Open Comb Slant -- is quite affordable and gives very good shaves.

I hear from RazoRock that they're including a series of OC plates in their new slant design.

The Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements line of "Monster" slants is probably the best and most affordable of the homages to the Fasan Double Slant. As it sits I find it to be extremely mild, but with the addition of a shim and a stainless handle it's one of my favourite razors. I have not tried the "Filament" which is supposed to be more aggressive but is still quite affordable. Perhaps I'll pick one up for this year's Tilted Picnic slant reviews.

That's four plus a unicorn. Ought to keep you busy for a while! Oh, and lest one think I only use slants I've lately been playing with a RazoRock BBS-OC. Lovely thing; covered blade tabs and a nice close shave with no worries.

O.H.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a few open comb razors and for a modern OC I really enjoy the Razorock SLOC(tame mid range) & comes with a stainless steel handle.
Vintage OC and closed combs I really enjoy are the Gillette New long open comb model(mid range)and SE closed combs Gem & Everready 1912 models(mid range) that where very popular in their day and sold millions world wide.
Everready had a plant in England from 1936 to 1953 building these types of razors for the Commonwealth nations.

I find myself preferring OC razors. From the limited number of OC razors I've tried, I get the best shaves from and would absolutely recommend a Fatip. The fact that they're very reasonably priced means that even if they don't work well for you, you won't be out an arm and a leg. It also helps that they're pretty popular here so, if all else fails, you can probably find a buyer for it in the BST forum.

I've tried a Piccolo in both nickel and gold as well as a Grande in gold. To my surprise (I usually prefer heavier razors), I prefer the Grande. That said, my preference may be due to the thinner handle on the Piccolo tiring out my sausage fingers more. Aside from that, the Grande and Piccolo shave very similarly, with both providing darn near perfectly smooth and comfortable shaves with a minimum of effort.

In any case, even if you don't opt to try a Fatip, you absolutely should give OC razors a try. Who knows, you may like them more than your Sledgehammer.

Don't be afraid or intimidated by the look of the oc razors. While some oc razors are indeed more efficient or perhaps even slightly more aggressive than a straight bar version of the head that doesn't mean that all of them are.

The pattern of the bar has little to do with anything and there are plenty of sb razors that are way more aggressive and efficient than most oc razors, so don't fall for that myth.

The Fatip OC and FOCS are a good way to get into oc razors and you can also try any of the vintage Gillette NEW series like the long comb version being the most common one.

Is it already time for the FOCS, Jason? :)

C051E454-06B9-4B6C-B0F3-FFE31029C046.jpeg

…but there are others as well…

86E55FAC-9639-4F60-80CA-EFF6DC1BCCA7.jpeg

Get the big daddy of the open combs: the R41. Muhle make an excellent razor and you can be assured of zero QC issues like you'd get with a Fatip. The FOCS is irritatingly out of stock most of the time too and is sold for inflated prices at eBay.

I've used a few vintage gillettes and they all shave very well indeed, but for sheer cutting power, you cannot go wrong with an R41. And having some experience with a slant, you should be able to transition to this very aggressive razor without much trouble.

The open comb design does not add much, if anything in my opinion. If you compare the same razor, with the same blade gap and blade exposure the difference will be marginal. They do work well if you are shaving multiple days of stubble. As have been mentioned you are not pushing down the stubble with the safety bar as much, and the lather flows more freely to the cutting edge. I have several open comb razors, but they do not get much use because i shave more or less daily. The R41 is more of a hybrid in my opinion. I have the twist and the GS version. Grate razor, but it might not be a daily driver for everyone.
I have open comb base plates for my Tatara and my Karve razor. Both are grate options. So one option could be to get a razor you can switch base plates on. The Karve razor open comb feels just as smooth as the SB base plates, but the result is the same.
I also have the Lupo dual comb. I do not feel the open comb adds anything to this razor.

One drawback with open comb razors is they do not work well if you do diagonal sliding strokes (Gillette slide) or angle the head like a guillotine. You are more locked in to the a more straight line stroke. J-hocks is also something i will not attempt again with an open comb razor.

The R41 is an iconic razor that every wet shaver should at least try. It can be quite smooth when you figure it out.

Last edited:
I just got a Fatip Lo Storto (aka the FOCS) and I love it. A big step up in efficiency from the Merkur 34C but not too aggressive. For the first time I’m experiencing bbs shaves that last all day.

I’m sure as my technique improves I’ll be able to make that achievement with a less efficient razor but the FOCS sure makes it easy.
I bought a Fatip Open Comb Slant in 2020, and am glad I did. Yes, I still love my vintage razors. And the one OC I have in that group, the Gillette NEW Short Comb, is fantastic. But the FOCS does even better.

Get the big daddy of the open combs: the R41. Muhle make an excellent razor and you can be assured of zero QC issues like you'd get with a Fatip. The FOCS is irritatingly out of stock most of the time too and is sold for inflated prices at eBay.

I've used a few vintage gillettes and they all shave very well indeed, but for sheer cutting power, you cannot go wrong with an R41. And having some experience with a slant, you should be able to transition to this very aggressive razor without much trouble.

Connaught has the FOCS stocked up and I believe OP is in the UK. I was surprised at how quickly I received my order from them and I’m in Oregon. And they still have Cella on sale for dumb cheap. Mmmm almond croissant 🤤.

The open comb design does not add much, if anything in my opinion. If you compare the same razor, with the same blade gap and blade exposure the difference will be marginal. They do work well if you are shaving multiple days of stubble. As have been mentioned you are not pushing down the stubble with the safety bar as much, and the lather flows more freely to the cutting edge. I have several open comb razors, but they do not get much use because i shave more or less daily. The R41 is more of a hybrid in my opinion. I have the twist and the GS version. Grate razor, but it might not be a daily driver for everyone.
I have open comb base plates for my Tatara and my Karve razor. Both are grate options. So one option could be to get a razor you can switch base plates on. The Karve razor open comb feels just as smooth as the SB base plates, but the result is the same.
I also have the Lupo dual comb. I do not feel the open comb adds anything to this razor.

One drawback with open comb razors is they do not work well if you do diagonal sliding strokes (Gillette slide) or angle the head like a guillotine. You are more locked in to the a more straight line stroke. J-hocks is also something i will not attempt again with an open comb razor.

The R41 is an iconic razor that every wet shaver should at least try. It can be quite smooth when you figure it out.
For me, the OC definitely gives a bit more ooomph to the razor. I have the Tatara Nodachi as well as the Blackbird in both OC and SB versions, and I have since stopped using the SB version, as I find the OC version of both razors delivering visibly better shaving efficiency.

Also, I found that I favour the OC part of my Lupo DC much more than the SB side...

Wonderful hobby we have, don't we? Happy shaves!

Top Bottom