What's new

Tempted to try an open comb razor

I'm a lucky man, as my wife fully supports and encourages all my shaving purchases, whether it's a new soap,
cream, razor, or brush. It's only fair, since she spends way way more on cosmetics and "girl stuff" in a month
than I could ever spend on shaving gear in a year. LOL. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Now, as far as an open comb DE razor goes, I only have one, and it's mild and efficient, and gives me quite an
enjoyable three pass BBS shave. It's a RazoRock "Old Type" head on a pretty nice Maggard's MR-5 handle.
Just wanted to give you something else to think about. Now, you have to admit, this is a great hobby ! ENJOY !

View attachment 1396313View attachment 1396314
My wonderful wife just shakes her head and says "you got another package in the mail"

If you want to get the blade closer to the skin, straight razors are unsurpassed in that respect.
Hi!

As per something I wrote elsewhere on this forum, my wife will never let me have a cut-throat razor. This is because I was watching a YouTube video of someone having a cut-throat shave. My wife by chance glanced at the screen while the razor was being used on the neck. That scared her totally senseless.

On a side note I was lucky that she let me get the Sledgehammer even though to her the razor really looks and feels like a hammer compared to my Gillette Fusion!

Jason.

Just tell her you swear to use it on your cheeks only. Worth a shot maybe? 😂
I know what you are talking about; the 'hybrid' shave. (As in using a cut-throat razor on the cheeks while using a standard razor on the neck/chin). I have seem some posts elsewhere about that.

Jason.

OC doesn’t make much of a difference. I have a nice Gillette Old that shaves quite well, but it’s not because of its OC design. You should stay w your Sledgehammer

OC doesn’t make much of a difference. I have a nice Gillette Old that shaves quite well, but it’s not because of its OC design. You should stay w your Sledgehammer
Greetings and a warm thank you for your reply.

I've had my 39c Sledgehammer for nearly 5 months now and I have really mastered how to use it properly. My Sledgehammer is happiest when it is fed with Gillete Nacet or Gillette Permasharp blades. (Though I would still love to try other brands of blades in it; thats what makes shaving so fun!)

I can get some truly impressive barber-like results from my Sledgehammer. It wipes the floor with all of the cartridge and disposable razors I have tried.

Now I am in the market for a really really good soap or cream. I am aware some may prefer soaps over creams or vice versa, but for me I love to have both.

What a wonderful hobby we all share on this forum eh? Its any wonder its so enjoyable! (There is absolutely NO sarcasm whatsoever in that comment)

Jason.

Greetings and a warm thank you for your reply.

I've had my 39c Sledgehammer for nearly 5 months now and I have really mastered how to use it properly. My Sledgehammer is happiest when it is fed with Gillete Nacet or Gillette Permasharp blades. (Though I would still love to try other brands of blades in it; thats what makes shaving so fun!)

I can get some truly impressive barber-like results from my Sledgehammer. It wipes the floor with all of the cartridge and disposable razors I have tried.

Now I am in the market for a really really good soap or cream. I am aware some may prefer soaps over creams or vice versa, but for me I love to have both.

What a wonderful hobby we all share on this forum eh? Its any wonder its so enjoyable! (There is absolutely NO sarcasm whatsoever in that comment)

Jason.
Well @JasonJT, all I can say is Connaught Shaving. If you are in the UK like me - and I suspect you are from your interesting Sainsbury's razorblade discovery - this is an outstanding supplier. The Fatip Piccolo OC in nickel is currently 17 squids and 40 peas. And they throw in a free pack of 5 Silver Blues. It is sorely tempting me ATM..

Last edited:
Well @JasonJT, all I can say is Connaught Shaving. If you are in the UK like me - and I suspect you are from your interesting Sainsbury's razorblade discovery - this is an outstanding supplier. The Fatip Picolo OC in nickel is currently 17 squids and 40 peas. And they throw in a free pack of 5 Silver Blues. It is sorely tempting me ATM..
I am from London UK. I have been on the Connaught Shaving website several times. In fact as its my long weekend off from work I am tempted to visit one of the shaving shops in Central London as I need a new bottle of skin food as my current one is running out. If I do that I think I'll come home with a new bottle of skin food and another shaving cream/soap.

Jason.

I have an Open Comb Gillette New from the 40's. It doesn't look that great as the gold is all gone. But it is quickly becoming my favourite razor (I also have an Edwin Jagger 89 and a 4 piece pre-war tech). Which is funny since as a $5 Facebook marketplace purchase it was by far my cheapest razor.
The Gillette Aristocrat (came out at Christmas 1934, I believe) was open comb in its early years. Also, TTO, to boot. I largely moved on to SE, but my 1936 Aristocrat is a DE which I still use and enjoy for its efficiency.

Great news! They are a no fuss, no muss great shaver.

It took me from 22 January until just now, to figure out that a goodwill razor
had been misrepresented to me as a new short comb.
So what I said about it really being very good, well ...

DSCN1308b.jpg

Last edited:
My choice for the first open cut is Gillette New 1930. For a few dollars you get a quality razor that shaves great.
I shaved with my Gillette New OC (Long Comb) for a month on the same blade. I was getting a good close shave and hardly any cuts. I thought it would be my main shaver. When the quality of the shave began to diminish (remember, old blade) I tried my early Post War tech, and was surprised to get a much closer shave with fewer passes.

I'm waiting for a #160 Goodwill, New Improved Tuckaway and NEW Deluxe 15 mm Tuckaway to arrive by the end of this month and with them I will have almost every Gillette oc base model. I now have 2 versions of the LC, 1 SC with the ''better'' top cap, NEW RFB and NEW FB.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
A very aggressive Muhle R41 knockoff manufactured in stainless steel with a number of handle options at a very, very reasonable price. I love my Wolfman razors, but this razor shaves just as close, although I have to be much more careful with it. I get consistent great shaves with it...a good choice if you're looking for an aggressive open comb razor.

DSCosmetic Z.0

I'm waiting for a #160 Goodwill, New Improved Tuckaway and NEW Deluxe 15 mm Tuckaway to arrive by the end of this month and with them I will have almost every Gillette oc base model. (...)

I can't wait to read your comparison between all these models & your RFB ! 🧐

Top Bottom