What's new

Tempted to try an open comb razor

For me, the OC definitely gives a bit more ooomph to the razor. I have the Tatara Nodachi as well as the Blackbird in both OC and SB versions, and I have since stopped using the SB version, as I find the OC version of both razors delivering visibly better shaving efficiency.

Also, I found that I favour the OC part of my Lupo DC much more than the SB side...

Wonderful hobby we have, don't we? Happy shaves!
I also have the OC and the SB versions of the Tatara razor. Yes the OC is more efficient, but the blade exposure is also slightly larger on the OC. The blade support is also a little more rigid on the OC. So we are not seeing the effect of the OC teeth as an isolated variable. If the blade exposure of the SB version had been identical the difference will be less.
I like OC razors, but if all else is equal the OC effect is not that big.
The Lupo OC side has a smaller gap then the SB side (0.95). I am not sure what the teeth does to the exposure, but i assume it is a little larger then the standard 0.72. So we are not seeing the OC teeth as an variable here.
An OC razor should in my opinion be rated the same way as SB razors with regards to blade exposure, gap etc. The teeth is just one variable that in my opinion contributes less then e.g. blade exposure. OC might add blade exposure if it is machined out from a SB base plate, thus giving a more efficient razor.

Open combs are ideal for those who do not shave every day, or have heavy stubble. They can be aggressive, but not necessarily. It's down to design of the individual razor how aggressive it is.

Agree with the razor suggestions posted above.

Reactions: JPO
Jason I will not recommend to you a particular open comb, but I can tell you one thing. Open combs don't necessarily give a closer shave than a closed comb. The most famous examples being the Merkur open comb razors. Terribly mild.

I also have the OC and the SB versions of the Tatara razor. Yes the OC is more efficient, but the blade exposure is also slightly larger on the OC. The blade support is also a little more rigid on the OC. So we are not seeing the effect of the OC teeth as an isolated variable. If the blade exposure of the SB version had been identical the difference will be less.
I like OC razors, but if all else is equal the OC effect is not that big.
The Lupo OC side has a smaller gap then the SB side (0.95). I am not sure what the teeth does to the exposure, but i assume it is a little larger then the standard 0.72. So we are not seeing the OC teeth as an variable here.
An OC razor should in my opinion be rated the same way as SB razors with regards to blade exposure, gap etc. The teeth is just one variable that in my opinion contributes less then e.g. blade exposure. OC might add blade exposure if it is machined out from a SB base plate, thus giving a more efficient razor.
Hmmm, that's an interesting observation. I spoke briefly to the folk at Tatara once, and if memory serves me correctly, the OC and the SB should have the same exposure. Did you manage to measure it? Or did I overlook something? I would love to hear about it. This has nagged me for the longest time.

Also, with regards to the Lupo, without being able to measure the actual exposure, I am pleasantly surprised with the OC side sporting a lower gap but relatively higher efficiency. By the same token, the Gamechanger .84 OC is also much more efficient than the Gamechanger .84 SB.

I totally agree with you with regards to the statement that the best comparison should have the gap and exposure clearly listed and not as a variable. However, since the information isn't readily available, I can only say anecdotal evidence suggests to me (as a personal preference, not as a matter of fact) that OC versions of the same razor tends to have better efficiency.

It depends on the combination you put together with Tatara.
I agree that usually the same razor offered in OC and SB the OC is usually more efficient. My Karve OC B plate feels just as efficient as the SB C plate. The OC seem to add a little efficiency if you compare the same plate levels.
Screenshot_20220118-170619_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks for all of your replies. Now I am severely tempted to visit one of the shaving shops in Central London and picking up my very own OC razor. However what is holding me back is if my wife finds out. She made it very clear she doesn't want multiple razors in the house...

Jason

Yes, you
Thanks for all of your replies. Now I am severely tempted to visit one of the shaving shops in Central London and picking up my very own OC razor. However what is holding me back is if my wife finds out. She made it very clear she doesn't want multiple razors in the house...

Jason
Ask her to define "multiple ".
Or better: don't.:lol:

Now seriously, one open comb razor is a must have for any proper wet shaver. 😉

It'd say go with one of the FATIPs - they are very reasonably priced IMO (FOCS/Grande/Piccolo) and all worth taking a look.

Happy shaves!

She probably doesn't understand, thinks razors are all the same. Does she have just one spoon for the kitchen? I think not.
:biggrin:

A Fatip is only $25 or $30 so it won't break the bank.

Jason

Jason
Just tell her 2 is not "multiple" by definition. You should see my room. Now, that is multiple.

Jason
I guess you need to pick up a storage case too then. With a lock…

Jason

That is why you skip the open comb and go right to a straight razor. You won't have multiple razors, simply a safety razor and straight razor.

You need need to get one that looks similar, or a razor you can use different baseplates with.
The Karve and Tatara will be a really good alternative.

Agree, the OP should start with an open comb DE razor (or more), then move to a SE MicroMatic once his technique improves, then to a Rolls Razor and finally a straight razor; it's the natural slippery slope. Let's face it, while camping, if you were to step outside and shave with a cartridge, no one would bat an eye. You pull out a brush, mug and DE or SE safety razor (especially a "scary Open Comb"), people would take notice and conversation would commence. Now, break out a brush, mug, mirror and then a strop and straight razor, and an awestruck crowd would form as you form a thick lather, then slowly strop your straight razor, glinting menacingly in the early morning light. With the first stroke, the "oooohs, and awwwws" would begin and then grow with every flick of your wrist as you deftly remove the whiskers; culminating in a crescendo of applause punctuated by men slow-clapping their approval and women swooning as you depart... So yeah, an Open Comb DE is a good place to start.

The Vector SE razor also have a OC baseplate. I only used mine a few times. I liked the SB better. Now you already have a de razor, so why not just get something different??

Agree, the OP should start with an open comb DE razor (or more), then move to a SE MicroMatic once his technique improves, then to a Rolls Razor and finally a straight razor; it's the natural slippery slope. Let's face it, while camping, if you were to step outside and shave with a cartridge, no one would bat an eye. You pull out a brush, mug and DE or SE safety razor (especially a "scary Open Comb"), people would take notice and conversation would commence. Now, break out a brush, mug, mirror and then a strop and straight razor, and an awestruck crowd would form as you form a thick lather, then slowly strop your straight razor, glinting menacingly in the early morning light. With the first stroke, the "oooohs, and awwwws" would begin and then grow with every flick of your wrist as you deftly remove the whiskers; culminating in a crescendo of applause punctuated by men slow-clapping their approval and women swooning as you depart... So yeah, an Open Comb DE is a good place to start.

And after the straight razor you need to learn how to shave with an axe and a signal mirror without soap....

I say GO FOR IT. I bought a Karve off the BST that came with both a safety bar and open comb plate. I took one look at the OC plate, said "my skin is way to sensitive for that thing" and stuffed it in a drawer. One day I was feeling brave and decided to give it a try... well I absolutely loved it and it's now become my default plate.

It's more efficient, has a bit more blade feel, and just looks cooler than the SB plate.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, you

Ask her to define "multiple ".
Or better: don't.:lol:
This is good advice.

I drive my wife nuts with my "collection" tendencies..... She is 74.1 percent German, and the remaining 25.9 percent is fed up with my RAD.

I prefer open combs. Enough to irritate my lovely wife.

Her "practical" approach to buying is why our son shall be happy with his inheritance, lol!

Top Bottom