What's new

Tempted to try an open comb razor

Truth be told, calling them "Cutthroat Razors" is a marketing ploy by Straight Shavers to keep the supply up and the prices down, because if we were honest and called them "Panty-Dropper Razors" we couldn't afford them and they'd be rarer than a PS5...
Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! That's top secret information!!

Last edited:
Also, with regards to the Lupo, without being able to measure the actual exposure, I am pleasantly surprised with the OC side sporting a lower gap but relatively higher efficiency. By the same token, the Gamechanger .84 OC is also much more efficient than the Gamechanger .84 SB.
How does the GC .84 OC compare witht he .84 SB in terms of comfort and blade feel? HOw does it compare with the SB side of the Lupo, both efficiency and comfort?

I have the GC 84 SB, Lupo 72 and Lupo 95, and I like them and use them all the time. That said, if I could have the efficiency of the Lupo and the comfort of the GC I would be very happy.

Thanks for all of your replies. Now I am severely tempted to visit one of the shaving shops in Central London and picking up my very own OC razor. However what is holding me back is if my wife finds out. She made it very clear she doesn't want multiple razors in the house...

Jason

I'm a lucky man, as my wife fully supports and encourages all my shaving purchases, whether it's a new soap,
cream, razor, or brush. It's only fair, since she spends way way more on cosmetics and "girl stuff" in a month
than I could ever spend on shaving gear in a year. LOL. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Now, as far as an open comb DE razor goes, I only have one, and it's mild and efficient, and gives me quite an
enjoyable three pass BBS shave. It's a RazoRock "Old Type" head on a pretty nice Maggard's MR-5 handle.
Just wanted to give you something else to think about. Now, you have to admit, this is a great hobby ! ENJOY !

90C2FE79-6E00-4828-9C22-ACFE1C96F7EE.jpeg
20EC2092-620A-4DCA-86E3-401480F8BE62_4_5005_c.jpeg

How does the GC .84 OC compare witht he .84 SB in terms of comfort and blade feel? HOw does it compare with the SB side of the Lupo, both efficiency and comfort?

I have the GC 84 SB, Lupo 72 and Lupo 95, and I like them and use them all the time. That said, if I could have the efficiency of the Lupo and the comfort of the GC I would be very happy.
The GC .84 OC is really just about as comfortable as the SB. It is, in my mind, one of the smoothest OC razors you can get your hands on. Efficiency level is noticeably better than the SB and IMO about there with the LUPO. For the LUPO I much prefer the .72 OC to the .95 SB.

I prefer open comb razors aesthetically and am drawn to them, but it's an unexplainable personal hang-up more than anything else.

Regarding the Merkur 15c OC in particular, I found it difficult to use without resorting to a heavy hand, the blade is practically in defilade.

In sum, OC ain't all that shave-wise, and "going mild" to put a toe in the water can be unsatisfying.

Edit to add: the fatip is a personal favorite.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I forgot to mention 1 other OC razors you might try that won't cost you £££££ and is good from Yaqi the Mellon head or double open comb mid range aggressive and a smooth shaver not as efficient as the Fatips though.

I too recently tipped my toe in the oc-pond, having bought a piccolo slant. It's without a doubt a great (looking) shaver.

Like yours, my better half has little patience or tolerance for shaving purchases. In my case she has a point, I have aqcuired a couple of razors and find having more than 2 or 3 razors is pretty much useless. In fact it annoys me because I have favourites which means others won't get used...meaning they just sit there, unused.

From what I have gathered reading your posts you've been a good boy (according to my and your wife's standards.)
You could do what I sometimes do and just order stuff and have it delivered on a day she's not home. But this is a gentleman's forum and doing this isn't very gentleman-like. (I am a sheep, these rules dont apply to meeeeeeeh.)

Maybe there's a birthday or something coming up and you could ask your wife for a new razor?

You could also do what I do, I have now told her that I want to own #razors. That I might buy new ones but if I do another will get sold.

Is an oc worth trying out? Sure and you'll end up getting one, since your curiousity's been triggered!
Do I prefer the FOCS over my adjustables? No, because of my sensitive neck I miss a milder setting for that area. But it's a cheap, efficient and really cool looking razor that I'll keep using.

You gift your razor to a friend, maybe an in-law. You buy a fatip oc. If you don't like it, you tell the friend he might like it and swap back. If he doesn't like it, and wants to swap back, you can lose his number or stall until another solution presents itself.

She will see through your stratagem. And here's the important part: You stick with the original story. And smile. She'll know that you know that she knows. Easy game. Next patient.

I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Fatip Piccolo. Ok, that's two words, but bear with me. I like the look of the Nickel Piccolo. I call my mighty Piccolo, a modern classic. My solid brass nickel plated Piccolo OC like my solid brass nickel plated 1953 Gillette Ball End Tech are both lifetime razors. You can't go wrong with either the Piccolo or the Fatip Grande. Both are stellar performers that consistently deliver close & comfortable shaves. They're winners! Best of all, you get to post your shave adventures on Fatip Friday!

I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Fatip Piccolo. Ok, that's two words, but bear with me. I like the look of the Nickel Piccolo. I call my mighty Piccolo, a modern classic. My solid brass nickel plated Piccolo OC like my solid brass nickel plated 1953 Gillette Ball End Tech are both lifetime razors. You can't go wrong with either the Piccolo or the Fatip Grande. Both are stellar performers that consistently deliver close & comfortable shaves. They're winners! Best of all, you get to post your shave adventures on Fatip Friday!
I do actually feel that sometimes I can shave with the Piccolo with my eyes closed, as I use it that often. With a PolSilver Super Iridium or Voskhod blade.

Jason I will not recommend to you a particular open comb, but I can tell you one thing. Open combs don't necessarily give a closer shave than a closed comb. The most famous examples being the Merkur open comb razors. Terribly mild.
It's true that OCs are not necessarily more aggressive, you've got to do some studying if you are looking for an aggressive OC.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
The yagi slant is pretty aggressive but very smooth once you get used to it lots of blade feel but gives me irritation free shaves. I usually load it with Nacet or GSB blade
20220110_211722.jpg

Top Bottom