What's new

Tech ID help, please?

Since returning to DE shaving, I've been using TTO's almost exclusively (mostly Super Speeds). I've never tried a 3-piece razor. So yesterday, on a whim, I decided to purchase a Tech (which I know almost nothing about) off the bay.
Could someone please provide an approximate date of this razor?
Thanks.
tech1.jpg
tech2.jpg
tech3.jpg

The Non Date Code (NDC) Techs spanned the 40s. The only way to tell with some of those razors was from the date codes on the original blades. Lacking those, one could only approximate.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Commonly known as a "post war" Tech and being made after WW2 as evidenced by the oval lather slots instead of triangular slots on the "pre war" Tech.

Post war left, pre war right.

Tech-4a.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Post-war Tech is, in my opinion, one of the finest mild shavers out there.

I don't mean to be presumptuous so please disregard everything that follows if you are already familiar with Tech shaving. :)

The Techs have a narrow shaving angle. I ride the cap with little or no pressure and then bring the handle down until I feel (and hear) that I have the angle right. Take a little off with each pass until you are at DFS/BBS. :)

My preference is for a Kai blade. Personna Israeli Platinum Red and Med Prep blades also work nicely for me.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

David - I've never shaved with a 3-piece, mostly Super Speeds. Thanks for the guidance. I will likely test-drive it first with a Red or a German Wilkie.
I also have a few vintage Spoilers I would like to try with it.

David - I've never shaved with a 3-piece, mostly Super Speeds. Thanks for the guidance. I will likely test-drive it first with a Red or a German Wilkie.
I also have a few vintage Spoilers I would like to try with it.
Super Speeds already provide an awesome shave. When your Tech arrives, consider a Left vs Right side of your face shave off to compare your 2 razors. You should be able to get equivalent shaves from both, but it may take a little practice.
I have 4 1940's style Super Speeds, and a few more Flair Tips and Black Handles - I love them all. They all shave great! I also have over a dozen Techs, from Pre & Post War varieties with Ball end handles, Fat handles and Bakelite or Plastic handles. I love them all, too, since they also give a marvelous shave.
Which is my favorite? Which ever one I'm holding at the moment ...

It never hurts to plan ahead. In your search for more Techs, don't pass up an opportunity to get an Old Type or New Type open comb razor. Sure open combs look scary, but you'll be impressed with the smooth, easy shave. To get the feel of any new razor, start out with a solid middle-of-the-road blade - Astra SP's of Shark Chromes will help you get the feel of any new razor. Save the vintage blades for after gaining a proficient feel of how a particular razor handles.

And then there's the Tech clones - there's so many of them because the design is so easy to reproduce, yet provide an outstanding shave quality. Lately the RazoRock TeckII's have been on sale for embarassingly cheap. I've gotten several for around $6, just to put on different handles. They shave well enough that they're worth putting onto a nicely-made stainless steel handle.

But, one step at a time - use both your Super Speed and the new Tech until you get equivalently great shaves with both. I use my Cremogena blend to evaluate all new razors and blades, but if you have any of the ToBS or Stirling soaps, they'll also enhance the performance of your shave gear.

This week I am shaving with a “Post War” Tech with India made Wilkinson Swords and I am getting extremely good shaves. I love my techs and I cringe to think I have 8 of them. The little devils multiply like rabbits. They are awesome shavers.
I love them with Nacets, Bic Chromes, GSBs, Astra SS, and the above named Gillette Wilkinson India blades.
I found Astra SP blades, a favourite of mine, did Not work as well. Techs like sharp blades.
Enjoy!

Top Bottom