What's new

Hello everyone! greetings from Malaysia and requiring help identifying a few razors

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around this forum for sometime and finally decided to register, because I require some help identifying 2 vintage DE razors that I've recently purchased for around 15USD from an online used goods store, so right to the point.

I've identified that this (image below) is a Feather razor made in Japan, upon searching the net I could not figure anything else about it (year made, model and etc)
image_2023-12-08_170112896.png

IMG20231208132617.jpg

Up next is what I believe to be a 40s English Fat Handled Gillette Tech but I would like to know more about it
IMG20231208132353.jpg
IMG20231208132450.jpg
IMG20231208132741.jpg
gillette tech box.jpg

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

The second one is what we sometimes call an NDC Tech (no date code). Gillette began stamping date codes in the very early 1950s. Most of the ones similar to yours were made sometime between 1946-1951. You have the typical "fat handle". Also sold was a slightly thinner version of this handle and a "ball end" handle, a solid handle that is just a bit heavier.

The razor and handle are plated brass. They should clean up nicely with an old toothbrush and some soapy water. Something like dish soap would be fine. Don't boil them, just use hot water.

Last edited:
The second one is what we sometimes call an NDC Tech (no date code). Gillette began stamping date codes in the very early 1950s. Most of the ones similar to yours were made sometime between 1946-1951. You have the typical "fat handle". Also sold was a slightly thinner version of this handle and a "ball end" handle, a solid handle that is just a bit heavier.

The razor and handle are plated brass. They should clean up nicely with an old toothbrush and some soapy water. Something like dish soap would be fine. Don't boil them, just use hot water.
That is an English made Tech. The whole date code or no date code is irrelevant to those razors. Gillette England only started using the codes in 1970.

To the original poster. Your razor could be late 40s, but also early 50s. The bottom plate is the typical 50s style that is not flat. That style of plate has been started in the late 40s.

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around this forum for sometime and finally decided to register, because I require some help identifying 2 vintage DE razors that I've recently purchased for around 15USD from an online used goods store, so right to the point.

I've identified that this (image below) is a Feather razor made in Japan, upon searching the net I could not figure anything else about it (year made, model and etc)
View attachment 1760715
View attachment 1760718

Up next is what I believe to be a 40s English Fat Handled Gillette Tech but I would like to know more about itView attachment 1760716View attachment 1760719View attachment 1760720View attachment 1760721

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
Hello there and welcome to B&B!

A couple of nice pieces there. The first is a Feather Tech clone. Feather was created as a seperate company from Kai in about 1951 (A horribly complex relationship between the 2 companies which I dug up from the Kai website and documented in a very old thread)

I would guess the Feather is 1950's, maybe one of their first products. Rare piece!

The second has the case of an English No 27 Tech set (they came in various colours) but I suspect it is a razor with different parts. The English Flat Bottom head as shown was part of the 27 set, but yours has the 'US' style diamond baseplate. The first English made of this type I have found is 1950. I suspect the fat handle is authentic to the set but the head was swapped out.
proxy.php

Some very nice pieces there!

Last edited:
The second has the case of an English No 27 Tech set (they came in various colours) but I suspect it is a razor with different parts. The English Flat Bottom head as shown was part of the 27 set, but yours has the 'US' style diamond baseplate. The first English made of this type I have found is 1950. I suspect the fat handle is authentic to the set but the head was swapped out.
Here be an example for your perusal. Appears near new, handle has been screwed on aprox three times from the scratched circle wear, gillette etched doted diamond logo on the cap.

?????? question mark

1-IMG_20231209_140114~2.jpg

Here be an example for your perusal. Appears near new, handle has been screwed on aprox three times from the scratched circle wear, gillette etched doted diamond logo on the cap.

?????? question mark

View attachment 1761214
As is well known, Gillette England was absolutely chaotic.

This is probably a continuation of the use of the very neat case first found on the No.27 and old stock fat handle. The first English made diamond style US baseplate seems to date from 1950
proxy.php

Although this 1951 No.32 set head seems to fit the bill of your example.
proxy.php

Dunno. Seems to be a mish mash of various parts. Maybe a set for the Pacific market?

Any idea of the set number? Seems an odd one. The fat handle seems to have disappeared from English Gillette Techs by about 1949 at the latest. Though the head seems 1951. Maybe a 1951 set from a mix of parts some old stock?

Again, it might be a frankenset of put together parts. Still a sweet kit though.

Last edited:
As is well known, Gillette England was absolutely chaotic.

This is probably a continuation of the use of the very neat case first found on the No.27 and old stock fat handle. The first English made diamond style US baseplate seems to date from 1950
proxy.php

Although this 1951 No.32 set head seems to fit the bill of your example.
proxy.php

Dunno. Seems to be a mish mash of various parts. Maybe a set for the Pacific market?

Any idea of the set number? Seems an odd one.

Again, it might be a frankenset of put together parts. Still a sweet kit though.
The '51 #32 cap is the style of cap I have.
No, no idea of set #, dint come with a box, sadly :(

I'm inclined to think it be genuine?? i could not resist the URGE and polished off the handle wear marks under the cap, so it was only screwed together just the three times?
The possibility of millions of them there fat handles made and whacked together with any head at any time some gillette boffin felt like using stuff lying round is a reality.
Not the first time as it appears the same with gillette/7o'clock handles.

All's good in the hood, i will scream "RARE'' or "VERY RARE" and "NOS" oh and "Great Condition for its Age" ... can I get poetic license in there? "Antique" ? :p

"A couple of nice pieces there. The first is a Feather Tech clone. Feather was created as a seperate company from Kai in about 1951 (A horribly complex relationship between the 2 companies which I dug up from the Kai website and documented in a very old thread)"

This is me talking about the weird Kai/Feather relationship upthread for those interested.

I dug up the old thread where a fascinating Kai razor is mentioned. Here is the thread for those interested. I checked out some historical info on the Kai website. I did some actual digging. I don't think this info has been analyised on B&B before

It's an interesting thread I think.

Was quite proud of my little attempt at 'research' to be honest.

Vintage Feather 3 piece razor - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/vintage-feather-3-piece-razor.631951/#post-12371927

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and help identifying the razors. Today I've finished cleaning up the razors the best I can following the popular methods used in this forum, I'm very happy to show the results! Without further ado here it is!
IMG20231209172427.jpg

1702117033758.jpeg

1702117136492.jpeg

1702117068452.jpeg

1702117173773.jpeg

1702117249625.jpeg

1702117218779.jpeg

1702117286668.jpeg

1702117312352.jpeg

Any feedback and advice is greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom