What's new

Hello everyone! greetings from Malaysia and requiring help identifying a few razors

Just had a fantastic first shave with the Feather!

Blade: Gillette London Bridge
Soap: Vi-John Lime
Brush: Yaqi Synthetic
Aftershave: Lucas alum block
and my late grandmother's favourite mug passed down to me.

IMG20231209185449.jpg

For a reference point I usually shave every other day, skin type relatively normal, beard thickness and growth is somewhere around the low to medium amount with exception around the corners of my mouth being thick, also I do not have hair growing on my neck and have not used any other Tech styled razor except the Baili BD176, so for now I'll use it as my main point of reference and some references to the Rockwell 6s (my main razor) until I try the Gillette Tech shown on my original post in the next coming days.

Loaded up my favourite Gillette London Bridge and noticed it sat very snug on the posts just like the 6s, I've tried loosening and tightening and to my surprise the alignment is right on every single time, very surprising! considering the year its made and the background of the company
IMG20231209190408.jpg

I'm always shaky and tensed up on the first few strokes with every new razor, this one is no exception, on the first stroke WTG at a neutral angle I've already noticed that it is noticeably more efficient the BD176 with the blade feel being slightly less than the R4 plate on the 6s, after a few more strokes with slightly varying angles, I've noticed that this razor is quite forgiving, smooth and lets you know the most efficient angle in accordance to audio feedback it provides. The first pass went reasonably well with the stubble left around the same level as the BD176 and the R3 plate on the 6s.

Second pass XTG, very smooth and effortless, requiring a few less strokes than the BD176 when going over an area, this is also the time I went into autopilot mode just like on my 6s but could not on the BD176 and finished the rest of the second pass without any issues, after that I ran my fingers feeling for stubble realising that its already a much closer shave than the BD176

Third pass ATG, this is the where around the corners the mouth is very tricky and I often scrape or nick myself here with BD176 even up till recently, this is where the Feather beats it completely in terms of comfort but not quite 6s R2/3 level, after finishing up the pass I've noticed minor stubble around the chin area which is very normal with every razor that I own, so this where the pick up pass comes. Here is the surprising part, I actually required significantly less buffing than the 6s on the R3 plate to achieve BBS. I don't know if there is any psychological aspect/placebo to it, but this is my first time using it after all and I'm enjoying it a lot.

edit: forgot to mention that I had a minor tingle with the alum at a spot underneath my chin, probably went too hard.

I also apologise for my English, I hope my words have gotten through. English isn't really taught well in my country and I'm trying my best to improve.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to B&B!

A couple of nice pieces there. The first is a Feather Tech clone. Feather was created as a seperate company from Kai in about 1951 (A horribly complex relationship between the 2 companies which I dug up from the Kai website and documented in a very old thread)

I would guess the Feather is 1950's, maybe one of their first products. Rare piece!

The second has the case of an English No 27 Tech set (they came in various colours) but I suspect it is a razor with different parts. The English Flat Bottom head as shown was part of the 27 set, but yours has the 'US' style diamond baseplate. The first English made of this type I have found is 1950. I suspect the fat handle is authentic to the set but the head was swapped out.
proxy.php

Some very nice pieces there!
The razor in the original post is not a mismatch! You have seen two diamond bottom plates on Achim's site that are from 1950. That doesn't mean the razor is from different parts, because there can't be a diamond bottom English plate prior to 1950. @Wombat ESQ showed you one new in the box with the diamond bottom plate and a fat handle.

Just like almost everyone on the forum thinks the faceted caps Tech has been started in 1962. But they were started in 1961 as I have a G code specimen.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Selamat datang JamerFohn from Malaysia ('Truly Asia'...Yeah Baby!!!).
proxy.php

1697252094520.gif
Welcome aboard the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom), so please feel free to come up to the promenade / sun deck & 'sit-a-spell'.
sipping-tea-on-ship-1-jpg.819750

Sounds like your off to a great start and on your way to shaving nirvana and The Zen of Shaving, and yes,...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, savoir faire, élan and all around 'know-how' to assist you in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.
:thumbsup:

Q. So... besides the "2 vintage DE razors that [you] recently purchased"...what brand of other tools (brushes, soaps, scents ect...), are you working with
proxy.php

And please don't forget The 7 P's of Shaving...Prepare, Patience, Pressure, Practice, Persistence, Post shave and Passion.

Although, you may not be addicted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps), from this shaving compulsion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance
is futile
".
proxy.php

Lastly, please don't forget once you get time....to tell us a little about yourself in the Hall-of-Fame sub-forum. 😉

proxy.php
"[For] many people, [shaving] is not [simply a] voyage of discovery, but a ritual of reassurance". Philip Andrew Adams

proxy.php
Selamat datang JamerFohn from Malaysia ('Truly Asia'...Yeah Baby!!!).
proxy.php

1697252094520.gif
Welcome aboard the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom), so please feel free to come up to the promenade / sun deck & 'sit-a-spell'.
sipping-tea-on-ship-1-jpg.819750

Sounds like your off to a great start and on your way to shaving nirvana and The Zen of Shaving, and yes,...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, savoir faire, élan and all around 'know-how' to assist you in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.
:thumbsup:

Q. So... besides the "2 vintage DE razors that [you] recently purchased"...what brand of other tools (brushes, soaps, scents ect...), are you working with
proxy.php

And please don't forget The 7 P's of Shaving...Prepare, Patience, Pressure, Practice, Persistence, Post shave and Passion.

Although, you may not be addicted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps), from this shaving compulsion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance
is futile
".
proxy.php

Lastly, please don't forget once you get time....to tell us a little about yourself in the Hall-of-Fame sub-forum. 😉

proxy.php
"[For] many people, [shaving] is not [simply a] voyage of discovery, but a ritual of reassurance". Philip Andrew Adams
Thank you for the greetings and heads up!

Here are the stuff that I own:

Razors: Rockwell 6S, Henson Medium, Yintal 316SS 3 faced(don't really like this one), Baili BD176, Mingshi 2000s, Vintage Feather, Vintage Tech, plastic Supermax DE (unused, travel)

Main blades: Bic Chrome Platinum, Gillette London Bridge, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod, Wilkinson Sword India, Treet Platinum

Sampler/Blades that came with razor: Dorco ST300 HQ, Inglish Super Platinum, Super Nacet (unused), 7 O'Clock Permasharp Green (unused), Topaz (unused), RK x Henson blades (unused), Rockwell Blades (unused)

Brush: Yaqi Synthetic 24mm black marble handle, Daiso boar brush

Soap/Cream: Vi-John cream (almost all of them) and are my most used, Godrej cream all variants (only red used), Cukur shaving soap, BSC charcoal and turmeric (unused), Old spice original (unused), Razorock What The Puck Green (unused)

Aftershave: Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash, Nivea post shave balm, Lucas Alum

I'll eventually get to the unused stuff soon 😂

Top Bottom