What's new

Help Me Choose Which Vintage Gillette to Get! And TTO vs 3 Piece

Buy what budget allows, if you can swing Fatboy, or Slim.

You got latitude of a Razor that is several razor, because of adjustability.

It's the newbie again, but learning more every day. I now have a whole bunch of Gillette razors in my sites and my research tells me they are all good, so right now I'm a bit like a kid in a toy shop unable to decide! Saying that the razors I am currently considering are: -40s Tech Flat bottom.
-50s BallTech,
-Another Ball End Tech, but with what appears to be a flat bottom head on it. Is that possible that the head and handle are mismatched?
-50s Gillette Rocket (694093 Parat?)
-What I think is a 60s Super Speed flare tip, -60s or 70s Slim Twist (white handle)
-And a Fatboy.

Apart from the Fatboy, I'm pretty sure that all of the above are the "Made in England" models.

I'm sure that many of you are going to recommend the Fatboy, but I'm guessing that the bidding on that will go above my budget.

As for the others I guess my biggest dilemma is 3 piece razors vs TTO razors (and adjustable vs non-adjustable). I've read about the blades in the TTOs having "movement / chatter", and am curious if this is an issue or just a "feature" you get used to. And with adjustables, it seems people struggle finding the right adjustment?

Finally, since I'm sure other razors are going to come up for sale. Which Gillettes should I stay away from? So far my research tells me that late 60s and 70s Techs "aren't the best", and the Techmatic is a joke. Feel free to warn me away from any others.

Thank you for any guidance you can give this slightly overwhelmed individual!
I’m in a similar boat starting back off again. My 3 was a slim adjustable early 60s, gold adjustable aristocrat in good shape, and a pre war tech albeit I have 1st, ordered the 2nd and just need the 3rd. And I’m very tempted to snag that tech lol.

Top Bottom