What's new

Taylor Old Bond St

Hi guys,

I'm very new to safety razors and using proper shaving cream. My whole life I've used just disposable razors and a can of shaving foam.

Recently I placed an order for a Merkur 34c which I believe has a very good reputation amongst more experienced shavers.

I've heard a lot of good things about Taylor of old Bond st shaving creams but man, they are damn expensive. Is it really worth it, compared to using cans of shaving cream?

Are there less expensive alternatives that work as well? Your advice and experience would be most appreciated.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to B&B, we're glad you're here.

Let me give you a little perspective: my last two soaps were $48 and $24 and I though both were reasonably priced. How much do you pay for a can of goo and how long does it last? And what's in it that you might not really want to put on your face (or maybe in the air)? How does your skin feel after the cream compared to the caned goo? (you'll find out: better)

There are lots of creams at different price points. Proraso is popular and widely available for a bit less $. I believe there are some creams closer to $5. With the money you're going to save from not buying cart blades you'll probably be fine.

Price is a combination of factors: initial price (doesn't mean much unless you don't have it), how long it lasts (real price) and how well it works for you (value). Many vendors have samples: you might want to try a few before purchasing a tub.

I think Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) is a very good value in terms of performance and $ per shave. TOBS Sandalwood is the first shaving cream I purchased after initially using VDH or drugstore soaps when I stared wet shaving. As mentioned above, Proraso is a little less money than TOBS and is a good alternative. Both are excellent creams in my opinion and you should try both. Wait until you try Truefitt & Hill and some other higher end creams!

Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) creams (and soaps) are very good value. A tub (or puck) will last much longer than a can of goo.
The lather and shaving experiance will be better also.

The main point is how long they last. For me a tub wil last about 10 months of daily shaves, a can of goo is gone in a couple of months, and has a poorer lather.

You are about 2.5 months behind me in my switch from "good" canned shaving cream(Neutrogema) and decent/good cartridge razors(Mach 3). Taylor of Old Bond Street isn't more expensive, even by a long-shot, than the Canned cream I was using.
I traded in to a tub of ToOBS, which is only about $16. My first cream was Jack Black, and it was less than that. Recently I bought some Proraso, which is good stuff and not expensive. A ToOBS shaving cream sampler, which per/oz might be the most expensive decision on the market, has turned out to be the smartest purchase(it was actually a stocking stuffer) I have ended up with so far. I love the ones I didn't think I'd care for and am indifferent at best with some of the ones I thought I wanted.
When creams show up on the BST, particularly as a lot, give it a shot. If a razor you are curious about is being sold with a cream, give it a thought.
Finally, PM me your mailing address.

I'm South African, so in S.A a can of shaving cream/foam/gel is about R60 (or around $4-5 or thereabouts). That would last about 5-6 months.

I can get 150g of the Taylor Old Bond cream for R350 including delivery. That is around $30 or so! It's fooking expensive. :D For most guys, the shaving gels/foam in a can is what we are used to, so "upgrading" to the proper stuff is a bit hectic.

I recently pulled the trigger on the Merkur 34c as I've been using the Mach3 or almost 2 years. I really hope getting the "proper" cream and proper razor together will give me much better results.

But it gets worse. :) Now I believe I have to invest in a preshave oil as well, and they ain't cheap either. Also a post shave oil. Aahhhhhhhhhhh...

I'm South African, so in S.A a can of shaving cream/foam/gel is about R60 (or around $4-5 or thereabouts). That would last about 5-6 months.

I can get 150g of the Taylor Old Bond cream for R350 including delivery. That is around $30 or so! It's fooking expensive. :D For most guys, the shaving gels/foam in a can is what we are used to, so "upgrading" to the proper stuff is a bit hectic.

I recently pulled the trigger on the Merkur 34c as I've been using the Mach3 or almost 2 years. I really hope getting the "proper" cream and proper razor together will give me much better results.

But it gets worse. :) Now I believe I have to invest in a preshave oil as well, and they ain't cheap either. Also a post shave oil. Aahhhhhhhhhhh...

If you really want to be economical - razor, blades, and a soap (heck you could use a body soap if needed) is all you need, you can fudge the rest with other better available, more common options.

In the long run though, the investments are worth it IMO, these are quality products that will not only smell nice but aid your shave (hopefully helping you enjoy them so it’s not a chore).

I haven't priced the creams, but I just purchased a puck of TOBS sandlewood soap ($13) and placed it in and small dessert bowl. This will last me probably 10 months or more. The same soap in its TOBS bowl costs $36!

ToBS Sandalwood can be had for less than $20 delivered if you shop around. Mmmm mmmm. Seriously.

If you paid attention to my earlier comments you would know that I'm from South Africa, where I'm not able to get these products easily.

Since you never bothered to read my earlier post, let me clarify again : this product shipped to my country is $30+. The shipping is the deal breaker - it's more than twice the cost of the product!

So please don't try and be clever when replying and actually read what is written.

If you paid attention to my earlier comments you would know that I'm from South Africa, where I'm not able to get these products easily.

Since you never bothered to read my earlier post, let me clarify again : this product shipped to my country is $30+. The shipping is the deal breaker - it's more than twice the cost of the product!

So please don't try and be clever when replying and actually read what is written.

What have you seen locally (if anything) besides canned items? Maybe we can recommend something local?

What have you seen locally (if anything) besides canned items? Maybe we can recommend something local?

One product that is available near me is Maca Root Shave cream. It's half the price of Taylor Old Bond Sandal wood cream.

Never heard of it, never used it so I don't know if it's worth buying or if I have to spend more. Does anyone have experience with Maca Root cream?

One product that is available near me is Maca Root Shave cream. It's half the price of Taylor Old Bond Sandal wood cream.

Never heard of it, never used it so I don't know if it's worth buying or if I have to spend more. Does anyone have experience with Maca Root cream?

Here’s some recent thoughts on it from some other members:

Maca Root

Try it out perhaps!

I think TOBS is the best cream you can buy. It cost a little more but as others have said, it goes a long way. Just a little on your finger tip does the job. the sandalwood smells great.

Few things to consider.
  • 150 gr. of TOBS will last you at least 2-3 times as long as can of foam/gel.
  • It'll very likely provide better shaving experience for you.
  • It's universally considered to be decent product even comparing to slightly more expensive creams.
  • The fact that you can buy it locally so you can decide on which scent you like must be worth something too.
So, you have a decision to make I guess, if all of these are worth the extra money to you.

There are many, many others of course to consider, but it's a bit of trial and error to find exactly what suits you. It also sounds like it's not all that easy to have them shipped where you live, another thing to consider as well.

My take: TOBS creams are great and yes they are worth choosing over gel/foam. Grapefruit is my favorite, fresh and beautiful scent.

side note, try doing some shopping for lower cost shipping.

esc.jpg

Do you south Africa have a CVS pharmacy or a Walgreens? In the states you can usually find Van Der Hagen soaps at a reasonable price. Aftershave such as Clubman, Aqua Velva and Old Spice should be available in any drug store. You do not need a pre-shave! Usually DE blades are available at reasonable cost, my local pharmacy has German Wilkinsons for $1.49 for a pkg of 5. My point is, you should be able to find decent products at reasonable prices if you look.

Top Bottom