What's new

Taylor Old Bond St

Just use the Macca Root, you don't need any pre-shave oil. You can just use whatever is available locally or at a reasonable shipping cost for you.

Taylor of Old Bond Street is worth the price for the product itself. Only you can decide if the shipping is worth it. If little is available locally and if everything needs to be ordered online then shipping is going to be a factor for most any product,right?

It's very unfortunate that TOBS is so expensive in your part of the world as it really is good stuff, though only you can really decide if it's worth the extra over the canned stuff.

The maca root is also very good so you could certainly do a lot worse then use that especially if the price is more agreeable.

Out of curiosity are there any other creams available easily in your country as I've found that some of the high street pharmacy home brands can be great and very inexpensive also?

I use TOBS a lot. One tub of 150g lasts me about 6 weeks. And I like to use a good king-size-almond dollop.

I've never compared that usage to canned shaving cream. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that canned foam is more expensive per use than TOBS cream, and I wouldn't be shocked to hear that canned foam is less expensive per use than TOBS cream. But considering how little it works out to per day, the difference wouldn't be worthy of consideration either way. TOBS is a lot less expensive than some shaving creams. But you can get a real bargain in creams by trying Proraso from a tube. That stuff is about half the price of TOBS and works really well. You're just limited in the scent to their standard versions.

The expensive thing about shifting from aerosol cans to jars of cream is that you start thinking about other creams you want to try. Next thing you know you've got 20 jars of $15 shaving creams instead of one can of Barbasol. And I'm not a hater of canned aerosol shaving cream. It works fine.

I use TOBS a lot. One tub of 150g lasts me about 6 weeks. And I like to use a good king-size-almond dollop.

I've never compared that usage to canned shaving cream. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that canned foam is more expensive per use than TOBS cream, and I wouldn't be shocked to hear that canned foam is less expensive per use than TOBS cream. But considering how little it works out to per day, the difference wouldn't be worthy of consideration either way. TOBS is a lot less expensive than some shaving creams. But you can get a real bargain in creams by trying Proraso from a tube. That stuff is about half the price of TOBS and works really well. You're just limited in the scent to their standard versions.

The expensive thing about shifting from aerosol cans to jars of cream is that you start thinking about other creams you want to try. Next thing you know you've got 20 jars of $15 shaving creams instead of one can of Barbasol. And I'm not a hater of canned aerosol shaving cream. It works fine.

The truth.. ;) Once you get past the price shock, you will buy like you're made of money. :clown:

p.s. Don't let $30 stand in the way of a decent shave. And Proraso is damn nice cream as well. Not sure if they sell Noxzema cream in your area but it's golden.:)

@Drax100

Hi Mate, I only started getting in to this in late December last year and like you, previously used mach3 and canned goo.

In the last week or so I just bought TOBS Sandlewood for the first time (roughly £10 on amazon) and it’s fantastic! Absolutely worth what feels like an extravagant expense at the time, when you’re not familiar with it.

It’s most certainly my favourite cream so far and I’m likely to pick a couple of different version later up before I’m anywhere near finished with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can still use the cheaper canned goo if you want to save your bucks. No real need to change, but I bet you will find that you’ll enjoy splurging on a nice soap or cream at some time.

If you thought changing to a safety razor would mean spending less on shaving you are probably right, unless you hang out on this site much.......:c9:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
@Drax100

1st, welcome to the sight!

2nd, you'll be lucky to save money with a switch to 'traditional' shaving.

As to your quandary, It's hard to recommend anything not knowing what's available to you at a reasonable cost in your region.

Welcome to B&B, we're glad you're here.

Let me give you a little perspective: my last two soaps were $48 and $24 and I though both were reasonably priced. How much do you pay for a can of goo and how long does it last? And what's in it that you might not really want to put on your face (or maybe in the air)? How does your skin feel after the cream compared to the caned goo? (you'll find out: better) . . .
There's a difference you can see, as well. The Barbasol I used to use, which I'll admit worked just fine for the shave itself, left a fine white scum all over my sink that remained after the water drained. I suppose the same could be true of my skin. The creams I use now, TOBS and Col. Conk, dissolve well into the water and leave very little residue for me to clean up.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bought some TOBS sandle wood on the bay and I just enjoy that soap with its beautiful scents, Also like the Razorock XXX and Italian barber Amici- best price and excellent performance.

You can still use the cheaper canned goo if you want to save your bucks. No real need to change, but I bet you will find that you’ll enjoy splurging on a nice soap or cream at some time.

If you thought changing to a safety razor would mean spending less on shaving you are probably right, unless you hang out on this site much.......:c9:

Haha.... that's what I'm finding. :) I think I'll give this cream a go and maybe also the Maca Root cream. How long does shaving cream "last" for? Is there an expiration date? If I only use a little bit of the Sandal Wood for special occasions and use the less (far, far less expensive, like half the price expensive :)) Maca Root cream for regular shaving, that might last me years... can the cream go off by then?

Sounds like a plan

I've not really heard of shaving cream going off. Occasionally they can dry out a little if left for long periods but will come back to life when you use it again with water.

In every day use I reckon you can get a couple of months use out of a tub of maca root

My TOBS lasts for at least a year with no sign of turning. If you get a bunch of creams, you only go through a tub every year or 2. There are a lot of shaves in a tub of TOBS. Try eBay for other creams. Indian creams are good and cheap. Usually cheap shipping too.

Haha.... that's what I'm finding. :) I think I'll give this cream a go and maybe also the Maca Root cream. How long does shaving cream "last" for? Is there an expiration date? If I only use a little bit of the Sandal Wood for special occasions and use the less (far, far less expensive, like half the price expensive :)) Maca Root cream for regular shaving, that might last me years... can the cream go off by then?

Find the creams (or soaps) that'll make regular shaving ... special occasion - every time. There are plenty that do that for me at any price level, life's too short for this "regular" stuff, and really, you only have one face...lol. :D :D :D

On a more serious note, some creams recommend using them within a year of opening container, but as others have said, I've never had one go bad on me yet.

Welcome! It''s a darn shame that it so expensive where you live because in my not so humble opinion TOBS is the best shaving cream that can be had. Just stay away from their soaps. (Never have been able to get much of a lather from them.)
If the cost of TOBS is prohibitively expensive then you'll just have to search around. There is a Shaving supply store and barbershop in Cape Town that might be of use to you called the Old'e English Shaving Shop.
Here's the address: Lansdowne House, 193 Voortrekker Road, Maitland, Cape Town, 7405, South Africa
Never been there but it looks interesting.

When creams show up on the BST, particularly as a lot, give it a shot. If a razor you are curious about is being sold with a cream, give it a thought.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's BST? New to this and I'm trying to find resources to try stuff at a reasonable price.

I do think that TOBS shaving creams belong to top quality category of shaving products.
Excellent lathering performance which gives you an easy to create superb foam. Wide variety of scents to try and to love like Sandalwood in my case.
Did you say expensive ? You have to know that quality is what counts and not quantity :) and for quality you must always pay a big enough price.

Top Bottom