What's new

Taylor Of Old Bond Street Oud Shaving Cream Review

There are no good reviews yet about the Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream scent "Oud". I thought I would get one out there.

I will not go on about the quality of shave this cream gives. All Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Creams are 1st class and the only variance between the different scents is the amount of water required for the perfect lather. Soak your brush... count how many times you gently shake off the excess to control water content. Only use enough cream to just coat the tips of your brush. At least that is what works for me. Now onto the scent.

Oud
Scent group: Fruity
Scent characteristic: Bright
Scent Longevity: Several Hours
Description:
This was not what I was expecting. The TOBS website description says

"Opening with bright quince, before the spicy heart of rose and saffron add depth to the fragrance, while resting on a base of rich oud and dry amber"

That means nothing to me. Quince is not widely known in the USA. In fact no one I have asked has ever heard of quince. I found this scent to be an almost comforting smell. Fruity but not really citrus. Not an apple scent and not a pear scent, but somewhere in the same family as those.

The scent of Oud is described as follows:

"The fragrance is comprised of many diverse aspects. It is simultaneously pungent, yet very pleasing, invoking warm, smoky notes with tinges of dampened wood. Although subtlety blended with touches of floral and fruit, the predominant scent is musky and sensual”

Interesting fact..... Oud is by far one of the most expensive raw fragrance ingredients in the world. Oud essential oil is 1 1/2 times the cost of gold.

I think the above descriptions sum up this fragrance rather well. I find it captivating and hope they continue this scent. I will buy again.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Chuckismeyousee!

Nice review and I'll agree with your overall characterization of TOBS excellent creams!
While I've not yet tried their oud, I've had Art of Shaving's Oud, which is outstanding.
Not sure if the AOS oud is still available, since they're rapidly downsizing.
If you like, PM me and we can swap samples of each!
Happy Shaving!

art of shaving oud simpson butterscotch puma bourbon amber may 25 2022.jpg

Just bought a tub of this last week and gave it my first try couple of days ago.

I have to say the scent really builds as you whip up a lather. Initially I found it quite mild but it was soon filling the room.

Performance is on a par with other TOBS creams (ie very good in my opinion), seems a little thirstier for water perhaps than some.

I think I may be a little sensitive to one of the ingredients as I get a warming sensation from it that I don't get from any of the other TOBS products. Anyone else experienced this?

I received a sample of it a few weeks back from Maggard's and I REALLY like it. I'm of the opinion that it could be considered a mild crowd pleasing type of scent but my nose is different. Quickly atop the catalogue of TOBS scents for me.

I've heard of quince.

This was one that didn't sound from descriptions that it would appeal to me, but based on your review I just might take a gamble on it. Thanks!

I gave it a try and I have to say I'm impressed. The fragrance reminds me of incense. Perfect for winter. The wife likes it. I think I'll stock up before it disappears like my other favorite - Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna.

There are no good reviews yet about the Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream scent "Oud". I thought I would get one out there.

I will not go on about the quality of shave this cream gives. All Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Creams are 1st class and the only variance between the different scents is the amount of water required for the perfect lather. Soak your brush... count how many times you gently shake off the excess to control water content. Only use enough cream to just coat the tips of your brush. At least that is what works for me. Now onto the scent.

Oud
Description:

"Opening with bright quince, before the spicy heart of rose and saffron add depth to the fragrance, while resting on a base of rich oud and dry amber"

That means nothing to me. Quince is not widely known in the USA. In fact no one I have asked has ever heard of quince. I found this scent to be an almost comforting smell. Fruity but not really citrus. Not an apple scent and not a pear scent, but somewhere in the same family as those.

"The fragrance is comprised of many diverse aspects. It is simultaneously pungent, yet very pleasing, invoking warm, smoky notes with tinges of dampened wood. Although subtlety blended with touches of floral and fruit, the predominant scent is musky and sensual”

Interesting fact..... Oud is by far one of the most expensive raw fragrance ingredients in the world. Oud essential oil is 1 1/2 times the cost of gold.

I think the above descriptions sum up this fragrance rather well. I find it captivating and hope they continue this scent. I will buy again.

Oud
Description:

I've wanted to try this one. The only ones I've used so far are Sandalwood and Tobacco Leaf.

Meh, TOBS Oud smells of cheap aroma-chemicals found in most overpriced fragrances sold in American fancy junk stores like Macy’s. I smell zero Oud in this fragrance.

I have found this to be a modern trend with TOBS, as I get the same off-putting scent from their Tobacco Leaf and Royal Forest creams as well.

Thankfully, the seller is allowing me to return the untouched product for a full refund.

Oud
Description:

Quince trees were imported from Europe in the 1600's. A lot of people have them, but many don't know what they are. Quince are popular in the deep south where they are made into preserves and jelly. I love quince.

Thanks for the review. I had wondered about this cream.

Top Bottom