What's new

Super Sharp + Plastic Tuck + No Wax?

I'm still working through a couple dozen varieties of samples, and so far I'm really preferring super sharp blades (Feather, Personna Med prep). I like the plastic dispensers that have a storage slot for used blades, and I'm not particularly fond of cleaning the wax spots off my razor. The wax and packaging aren't deal-breakers, but I'm just curious if there's anything out there matching the criteria in the title.

Shark Platinum fills those criteria. It's in my top 3 blades. You can always transfer blades to a plastic dispenser, being as most blades, probably 95 percent, come in cardboard tucks.

I'm still working through a couple dozen varieties of samples, and so far I'm really preferring super sharp blades (Feather, Personna Med prep). I like the plastic dispensers that have a storage slot for used blades, and I'm not particularly fond of cleaning the wax spots off my razor. The wax and packaging aren't deal-breakers, but I'm just curious if there's anything out there matching the criteria in the title.
Feather & Personna Med Prep work well in my Progress & 6c. Perhaps buy a blade bank or make one yourself for blades that don't come in a plastic tuck. Your doing the best thing by trying various samples of different blades, what one person says is a great blade for them, might not be for you. Use the blades that work best for YOU with your razors, and I wouldn't worry too much about the whole wax thing.

Shark Platinum fills those criteria. It's in my top 3 blades. You can always transfer blades to a plastic dispenser, being as most blades, probably 95 percent, come in cardboard tucks.

Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on how the Platinums might compare to Shark Super Stainless and Super Chrome? I've got samples of each but haven't tried them yet.

Feather & Personna Med Prep work well in my Progress & 6c. Perhaps buy a blade bank or make one yourself for blades that don't come in a plastic tuck. Your doing the best thing by trying various samples of different blades, what one person says is a great blade for them, might not be for you. Use the blades that work best for YOU with your razors, and I wouldn't worry too much about the whole wax thing.

My daily razor is an R41, and I've also got an R96 and RR SLOC. I'm liking the sharper blades in all three. A metal mints box is serving as my blade bank at the moment and it's working just fine. The wax isn't horrible, but I do find myself thinking "dang it" every time it doesn't easily wipe off the razor.

Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on how the Platinums might compare to Shark Super Stainless and Super Chrome? I've got samples of each but haven't tried them yet.
It's been a few years since I've tried any of those , but I've got zero complaints with Shark Plats. But again, what works for me may not be your cup of tea.

You could try the German made Wilkinson Swords. I find them to be very sharp blades plus theres no wax dots and they come in the plastic tucks.
Another you could try are Dorco Primes. I find them to be comparable to the German Wilkies, also with no wax dots and plastic tucks.

I saved some of the plastic tuck containers from Personna Reds (EU packaging) and put Personna Med Preps in them. I just reuse the plastic containers; I never put used blades in them, any used blades go into a separate tin.

Vintage Gillette Swedes/Annecy Swedes/Bleue Extra fit those criteria. They come in a plastic dispenser, no wrappers to faff with, no wax spots, super sharp, super smooooth :)

Vintage Gillette Swedes/Annecy Swedes/Bleue Extra fit those criteria. They come in a plastic dispenser, no wrappers to faff with, no wax spots, super sharp, super smooooth :)

I checked pricing on these. I suppose that’s one way to appreciate the cost of Personna Med Prep!:eek2:

You might consider: Personna labs, GSB and Nacet which I find plenty sharp and long-lasting (although these don’t meet your ‘desirable’ packaging requirements).

Here are the blades I've tried (or am about to) from the samples I've bought over the last few months:

Tried:
- Derby Extra
- Derby Premium
- Gillette Silver Blue
- Gillette Platinum
- Gillette Super Platinum (Black)
- Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
- Wilkinson Sword (German)
- Voskhod
- Feather
- Astra SP (Green)
- Kai
- Personna Platinum (Israeli Blue)
- Personna Platinum (Israeli Red)
- Personna Lab Blue
- Personna Med Prep
- BIC Chrome Platinum
- Polsilver SI
- Super-Max Blue Diamond
- Timor Stainless Steel
- Perma-Sharp Super

Coming up:
- Astra SS (Blue)
- Shark Super Stainless
- Shark Super Chrome
- Gillette Nacet Stainless
- Gillette Rubie Platinum
- Parker Premium Platinum
- Wilkinson Sword (Indian)

Every blade has gotten at least two shaves, except the one BIC Chrome Platinum I received. I gave it a 0/10 rating, and I'm guessing it must have been a bad blade, as others here swear by them. Some blades have gotten a week or more of use. It's probably worth going back through all of them now that I've gotten more experience.

So far, the blades I remember as being comfortable and likable are Astra SP, Feather, Personna Lab Blue, Personna Med Prep, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7OC Black, and Kai. The Med Prep is the only one that made me involuntarily say "Wow!" while shaving, but I also really like the Lab Blue and Feather. I keep coming back to those three as candidates for my first 100 purchase.

I'm not dead-set on finding something like a Med Prep in plastic dispensers, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any good candidates.

Thanks for all the replies!

Here are the blades I've tried (or am about to) from the samples I've bought over the last few months:

Tried:
- Derby Extra
- Derby Premium
- Gillette Silver Blue
- Gillette Platinum
- Gillette Super Platinum (Black)
- Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
- Wilkinson Sword (German)
- Voskhod
- Feather
- Astra SP (Green)
- Kai
- Personna Platinum (Israeli Blue)
- Personna Platinum (Israeli Red)
- Personna Lab Blue
- Personna Med Prep
- BIC Chrome Platinum
- Polsilver SI
- Super-Max Blue Diamond
- Timor Stainless Steel
- Perma-Sharp Super

Coming up:
- Astra SS (Blue)
- Shark Super Stainless
- Shark Super Chrome
- Gillette Nacet Stainless
- Gillette Rubie Platinum
- Parker Premium Platinum
- Wilkinson Sword (Indian)

Every blade has gotten at least two shaves, except the one BIC Chrome Platinum I received. I gave it a 0/10 rating, and I'm guessing it must have been a bad blade, as others here swear by them. Some blades have gotten a week or more of use. It's probably worth going back through all of them now that I've gotten more experience.

So far, the blades I remember as being comfortable and likable are Astra SP, Feather, Personna Lab Blue, Personna Med Prep, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7OC Black, and Kai. The Med Prep is the only one that made me involuntarily say "Wow!" while shaving, but I also really like the Lab Blue and Feather. I keep coming back to those three as candidates for my first 100 purchase.

I'm not dead-set on finding something like a Med Prep in plastic dispensers, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any good candidates.

Thanks for all the replies!

If you like Astra SPs, I bet you’d like Dorco Platinum Primes (STP-301). They’re like a better Astra, no wax, and available in the plastic packs. The 10 packs are plastic, the 5s are cardboard.

If you like Astra SPs, I bet you’d like Dorco Platinum Primes (STP-301). They’re like a better Astra, no wax, and available in the plastic packs. The 10 packs are plastic, the 5s are cardboard.

Sweet! I haven’t gotten any Dorcos yet, so on the list they go.

+1! The Primes are very, very good blades IME! And the package is just what you prefer. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom