What's new

What double-edge razor blade am I missing?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Over time, I've been picking up quite a few double-edge razor blades. I generally buy a few from Try-a-Blade and if I like it, I'll pick up 50 or 100.

I have many now, but I'm starting to wonder.. am I missing a real gem that I haven't encountered yet?

Here's a comprehensive list of what I have so far:

Derby Usta
Derby Premium
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Chinese)
Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
Sharp Titanium
Sharp Hi Chromium
Sharp Hi Platinum
Shark Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Platinum
Bic Astor
Bic Chrome Platinum
Astra Super Stainless
Lord Silver Star
Lord Asco Super Stainless
Lord Super Stainless
Lord Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Gillette Nacet
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum
Timor Stainless
Voshkod
Personna Israeli Red
Viking Sword Stainless (Israel)
Personna Med Prep
Personna Comfort Coated Stainless
Kai Stainless Steel
Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium

I have a number of loose tucks of blades from sampler packs that I've ordered in the past, but haven't used yet. These I do not have in any sizeable quantity.

So...with the exception of Astra SP and Feather...which I've tried and have no interest in...what gem have I missed?

Thanks for your post in advance.

Last edited:
Over time, I've been picking up quite a few double-edge razor blades. I generally buy a few from Try-a-Blade and if I like it, I'll pick up 50 or 100.

I have many now, but I'm starting to wonder.. am I missing a real gem that I haven't encountered yet?

Derby Usta
Derby Premium
Sharp Titanium
Sharp Hi Chromium
Sharp Hi Platinum
Shark Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Platinum
Bic Astor
Bic Chrome Platinum
Astra Super Stainless
Lord Silver Star
Lord Super Stainless
Lord Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Gillette Nacet
Timor Stainless
Voshkod
Personna Israeli Red
Personna Med Prep
Kai Stainless Steel

I have a number of loose tucks of blades from sampler packs that I've ordered in the past, but haven't used yet. These I do not have in any sizeable quantity.

So...with the exception of Astra SP and Feather...which I've tried and have no interest in...what gem have I missed?

Looks like a great selection.

I not sure this one qualifies as a gem but surely a capable nice shaving blade for me and a good price. Dorco Prime STP301.

The newer ones that have HQ on the package and are Made in Vietnam. I'd never tried a Dorco after hearing all the sketchy feedback over the years so I was a bit surprised by the performance.

Those Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium on your list are one of my favs also. Nice and comfy... I think those are out of production now so I'm trying to ration my 90 or so remaining.

I really like the Ladas Super Stainless and the Tatra Platinum. You also don't have the Gillette 7 o'clock Stainless Steel (green) on your list.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Derby Usta
Derby Premium
Sharp Titanium
Sharp Hi Chromium
Sharp Hi Platinum
Shark Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Platinum
Bic Astor
Bic Chrome Platinum
Astra Super Stainless
Lord Silver Star
Lord Super Stainless
Lord Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Gillette Nacet
Timor Stainless
Voshkod
Personna Israeli Red
Personna Med Prep
Kai Stainless Steel

Looks like your selection is excellent, not sure if other blades could fit in your top tier blades. The differences would be minuet but curiosity has it ways of making a fellow wander some more.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Picked up the Tatara and the Dorco on your recommendations. I have a tuck of Rapira and have used a couple in the past...they are very good.

Anyone have any experience with Vikings Blade double-edge razor blades? They're a little on the costly side and the reviews vary from phenomenal to rust-prone.

Strangely enough, of the list of blades I posted, some of my favorites are also the least expensive. The Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades are dirt cheap for 100 count and have provided me with some of the most comfortable shaves. They're longevity is also excellent.

lasta

Blade Biter
You have some of the best already! I've been looking for something "better" than GSBs since 2014...

With the exception of giving Feathers another chance, or (if you don't mind buying vintage) French Gillettes, there's really not much to top what you already have.

1675870460046.png

Derby Usta
Derby Premium
Sharp Titanium
Sharp Hi Chromium
Sharp Hi Platinum
Shark Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Platinum
Bic Astor
Bic Chrome Platinum
Astra Super Stainless
Lord Silver Star
Lord Super Stainless
Lord Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Gillette Nacet
Timor Stainless
Voshkod
Personna Israeli Red
Personna Med Prep
Kai Stainless Steel

Try the Super-Max Blue Diamond

Blades are very subjective, so it's tricky to recommend a "gem" for another shaver. I'm currently working my way through 100+ different blades and I often find blades others rate as top tier don't agree with me. I also have some blades that are excellent in one razor, but not in another.

Some of the blades I personally rate or that I think are similar to blades you've listed would be the following:

Gillette London Bridge
The other Gillette Platinum (one is in a blue packet with white writting, the other is in a white packet with blue writing)
Gillete King C
The other 3 Gillette 7 O'Clock blades
Tiger Superior Stainless (they also do a Superior Platinum that is similar to Astra SP but it's not sharp enough for me)
Rapira Platinum Lux
Sharp Star
Rapira Stainless Chrome
Rapira Super Stainless
Parker Premier Platinum (based on you liking the Derby Premium)

Hello,

Many of the blades you have listed do not work well for me and some others are excellent. If you could indicate your favorites and least liked within the list, it might be easier to make recommendations. Given that your list includes many of the less aggressive blades and you do not seem to like Feathers, my guess is that you tend to prefer milder blades.

For me the Derbys, Sharps and Sharks tug too much and the Feather is too rough to start and dulls too quickly. The Personna's nick too much and the Lord blades are either marginal or too dull. The German Wilkinson Sword is great if stropped and useless without foam stropping, and the Indian Wilkinson Sword (Gillette Wilkinson Sword) is not smooth enough and dulls quickly.

The listed blades that I like are the Gillette Platinum, Rubie and Nacet. If you like those, you might also like the Wizamet Super Iridium and the PolSilver Super Iridium. The Polsilver has been discontinued, but is still available in small quantities. My understanding is that the Wizamet has also been discontinued, but it is still available in larger quantities. I have never given samples of the Super Iridium blades to anyone who has disliked them, but I am currently fascinated with the Gillette Rubie and the new version of the Gillette Platinum. The Rubie might be the most forgiving blade that I have used and the Platinum is by far the smoothest. I know that you listed the Platinum, but the one I particularly like is pictured below.

One other blade that you might enjoy is the Gillette Super Thin (Thai Version). Initially, I was very impressed with that blade, but I now prefer the previously mentioned blades.
1676261096935.png1676261550242.png

You've got quite a few nice blades on your list. I'll add Rapira blades, a few different Rapiras are worth trying. Also, there are several SuperMax besides your Blue Diamond Titanium that are worth trying. Another good blade is the Chinese Gillette Super Blue. Crown Super Stainless & the Silver Start Super Stainless are both worth trying. If you want to try some, check out the Great Blade Exchange. You can try two of any blade for the cost of a postage stamp. And you can get as many different brands of blades as the number of brands you mail in. Check it out, there's a link at the bottom of my post. Oh, and if you want to send any extras from your blade stash, the Great Blade Exchange would welcome your donation.

If you ever get another sample pack, put a Gillette Winner Stainless in there. It's not my favourite blade, but it's very good at medium sharpness.

BIC Chrome Platinum
Derby Extra
Dorco ST300 / ST301
Dorco Prime Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permsharp Stainless (Greens)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Greens)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellows)
Lord Titanium
Lord Platinum, New
Parker Premium Platinum
Super Max Diamond Edge
Super Max Super Stainless
Treet 7 days Platinum
Treet Carbon Steel "Black Beauty"
Treet Classic
Treet Dura Sharp
Treet King
Treet New Steel
Treet Platinum
Treat Silver Carbon Steel
Treet Trig
Wilkinson Sword India
Wizamet Super Iridium

Maybe pick out few of the many Treet Blades?

Derby Usta
Derby Premium
Sharp Titanium
Sharp Hi Chromium
Sharp Hi Platinum
Shark Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome
Shark Platinum
Bic Astor
Bic Chrome Platinum
Astra Super Stainless
Lord Silver Star
Lord Super Stainless
Lord Platinum
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Rubie
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Gillette Nacet
Timor Stainless
Voshkod
Personna Israeli Red
Personna Med Prep
Kai Stainless Steel

Quite a list you have there. I notice you don't have Eddison Stainless included. I find them very sharp and smooth. And fairly cheap.. They are my current favorite. I got mine from RBC.

Top Bottom