What's new

High Proof Razor Impressions

In response to an e-mail I sent to Andy at High Proof, he confirmed that they will be coming out with a new version. He said, "There are actually lots of changes coming…. we’re pretty excited." He also estimated that more information might be released in one or two weeks. Stay tuned.

I had the top cap come off mine several times mid shave. Gave me a nice pucker moment. Love the concept but decided it wasn’t worth the risk and it just shaved ok for me…

I have had about 30 shaves with it also and the top cap hasn’t popped off on me yet. The one time it did pop off was when I flicked it vigorously after a shave from habit like I do with my other razors to get the water off. I was very relieved that there was no damage.

I had the top cap come off mine several times mid shave. Gave me a nice pucker moment. Love the concept but decided it wasn’t worth the risk and it just shaved ok for me…
I had the same problem, Kaufdrop. It happened when I shook the razor in the water in the sink to remove soap and whiskers from it. I do that with all my razors.

I emailed the company to raise it. The suggestion was that I put the razor under the tap to rinse. Leaving the tap on wastes water - not a good idea where I live. So they sent me a replacement razor. Very good customer service.

I used it for a month while travelling recently with no problem at all. Quite the opposite. Excellent shaves, with the inherent blade choice, was achieved. It is a great weight for a travel razor.

Cheers
Wal

I had the same problem, Kaufdrop. It happened when I shook the razor in the water in the sink to remove soap and whiskers from it. I do that with all my razors.

I emailed the company to raise it. The suggestion was that I put the razor under the tap to rinse. Leaving the tap on wastes water - not a good idea where I live. So they sent me a replacement razor. Very good customer service.

I used it for a month while travelling recently with no problem at all. Quite the opposite. Excellent shaves, with the inherent blade choice, was achieved. It is a great weight for a travel razor.

Cheers
Wal
Based on an email I got yesterday it looks like version two is about to be released and they went to a spring for the head flex instead of magnets. Redesigned the handle a bit. Doesn’t look like much else is changing.

It looks like the top cap is scalloped, presumably to make it glide more smoothly. I didn't have an issue with that, but it can't hurt.

I did notice the spring too, since they are so into magnets, I wonder what made them change.

After carefully reviewing the images of version 2.0 on the website, I've noticed the following changes:
  1. The handle has more weight in it because a hole is not machined out of the free distal end of the handle,
  2. the cap has a scalloped contact surface to reduce friction at the contact patch,
  3. the cap also has ribbed side edges to make it easier to grip and remove the cap from the head,
  4. the head and cap have cutout portions near where the edges of the blade break to leave room for the slight bend in the blade when you break the blade in half and to make it easier to grip and remove the cap from the head, and
  5. a spring replaces opposing magnets as the mechanism that biases the pivoting action of the head.
I'll bet items 1 and 5 reduce their manufacturing costs and items 2-4 improve the functionality and ease of use of the razor. Early on, I suggested the scalloped cap to address the drag of the head on the skin (I'm sure others suggested the same). From the looks of it, the cap likely is a drop in replacement for the original. I've asked whether I can buy one because the drag of the cap on my skin is the only off-putting part of my shave experience with the original razor.

Top Bottom