What's new

Suggestions for O/U shotgun

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
That doesn't look like it adjusts LOP
I think there are spacers that can be installed in between the 2 pieces. I could be wrong though. Maybe it slides up and down to adjust the comb height? I’ll have to go back and take a look. Nothing will happen until after Christmas regardless. I’m hoping colder weather around here may cause some people to sell/trade in their O/U.

Rugers site says they’re still servicing these shotguns, so if anything happens it can go back to be repaired.

This one has an aftermarket buttplate on it to adjust the LOP, maybe a Graco? What it actually means is I’d probably end up buying an aftermarket stock to put on it. There are surprisingly quite a few.

Screen shot from LGS website.
View attachment 1751139
That is someone fixing a comb that is too low for them, like I mentioned. That aftermarket buttpad is somewhat expensive and an asset, in my opinion. It's not very pretty but is quite practical. While we're talking more money than the "should I buy this razor" I would at go handle it.

A adjustable recoil pad, like in that pic, is for fit in the shoulder pocket. It is for comfort.

An adjustable comb is for changing POI. You raise or lower the comb to adjust the rear sight (your eye). An adjust comb also shifts left or right to adjust POI for windage.

20231119_193604.jpg

Last edited:
With a shotgun, how it fits is the key to good wing shooting or clay games. You should be able to close your eyes and mount the gun. When you open your eyes, the gun should be pointing where you are looking.

One of the best clay shooters I know mounts his gun in the bathroom mirror so many reps several days a week. He is a shoots 95+ out of 100 in trap singles on the regular.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
A adjustable recoil pad is for fit in the shoulder pocket. It is for comfort.

An adjustable comb is for changing POI. You raise or lower the comb to adjust the rear sight (your eye). An adjust comb also shifts left or right to adjust POI for windage.

View attachment 1751148
If the recoil pad is adjusted down wouldn’t that raise the stock height off the shoulder sort of adjusting the comb? My 1100’s point naturally like you say, my 870s not so much.

If the recoil pad is adjusted down wouldn’t that raise the stock height off the shoulder sort of adjusting the comb? My 1100’s point naturally like you say, my 870s not so much.
Sorta...You would have to be shifting the gun up and down your face, though. That is not what you want to do.

With proper fit, your cheek bone should be riding on top of the comb. Moving the pad up and down won't have any effect on where you put your face on the gun if you have the comb just under your cheek bone like you should.

Browning-x-Studio-Vanssay-36-edited-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Sorta...You would have to be shifting the gun up and down your face, though. That is not what you want to do.

With proper fit, your cheek bone should be riding on top of the comb. Moving the pad up and down won't have any effect on where you put the gun on your face if you have it just under your cheek bone like it should be.

View attachment 1751160
Makes sense. I’m learning that I have a lot to learn.

I shoot trap and/or skeet 1 to 3 days a week. I started out with an inexpensive poorly fitting O/U field gun. I tried different recoil pads and recoil reducers to make the gun something it wasn't. Recoil was harsh. I thought getting abused was part of the game. Finally, I bought a quality shotgun that fit properly. My scores went up quickly. With the old gun 4 boxes of shells in a day left me bruised. With a properly fitting gun, 12 boxes a day is nothing.

The recoil pad interacts with the shoulder pocket. Different makers use different angles on the butt. Get the wrong fit here and pain will follow. Long term damage may also come about. Not to mention poor shooting.

The angle of the butt pad needs to mate to the shoulder well. More important than LOP. A good gunsmith who works on shotguns can make the change. The stock bolt may requiring shortening depending on the required angle. There are few good gunsmiths to do this work.

Not a lot of experience with o/u. I have a 20 ga Win 101 I bought at the Izmir Turkey NATO ro and gun club back 1973. This was before changeable choke tubes so fixed chokes ic/mod I shot a lot of skeet with it there and got quite good, and some birds. Stock is rather plain straight grained walnut, but it fits like a glove and is quick handling.

Any thoughts on the Red Labels? I know they were never the most popular O/U made bud the folks that have seen to like them.

Ruger Red Labels are good rugged guns. I had one in 28 gauge, and I rue the day I sold it. If you've handled one, though they are nice and trim, you will find out they are a bit hefty in 12 and 20 gauge -- not terribly so, but a bit more than a typical 686/687 Beretta, or some of the Citori's. Selecting a gun is mostly a matter of price and style. I would not shy away from a Red label.

Cheers!
Tony

Top Bottom