What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Just arrived Iwasaki 30
proxy.php

proxy.php

I sometimes buy beaters and restore them, but also appreciate when someone else does the work, especially someone better at it than me. Picked this one up off of the Bay. The seller admitted that he shaved off it and it tugged a bit, so I will rehone before using.

The face size is in great condition. The back side still shows sign of pitting, I can’t imagine what it looked like before. John Barber operated 1810-1834. If you accept Lummus as correct, the presence of jimps and “Old English“ would suggest it came from the 1820-1833 period, which at least lines up with Barber’s years of operation.

4CE85DD1-D86D-48C2-915C-2A09C7176C4D.jpeg
486C33EA-EF55-4B5C-AC6B-E825ABCBB5B1.jpeg

American Knife Co., Plymouth Hollow, Connecticut- Circa 1849-1875
  • This arrived yesterday. The seller said "shave ready" and I had reservations. I gave it a paste strop treatment and it surpassed my expectations!
  • I literally thought these were wood scales at first, but they are synthetic. When it arrived, it was not cleaned up very well and the scales looked like they were wood and very dry. After cleaning with mineral oil, they still looked like wood. It wasn't until I shaved with it that I realized they were not wood - LOL!
    • I also did some clean-up of the blade with Flitz
  • I assume these have to be replacement scales. They do look like they are very old though
  • Grind is 1/4????
  • The spine does have honing wear. There is also "polishing" marks on both sides of the heel
Any information anyone has on these razors or from looking at the pictures, please let me know

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
That's a nice looking razor! I have an American Knife Co. near wedge, it's a great shaver. I believe the scales on yours are horn, I've never seen synthetic look like that. It's also possible that it has been reground around the turn of the century. I believe the razors marked Plymouth Hollow are 1865 or earlier, that was the year Plymouth Hollow was renamed Thomaston in honor of Seth Thomas. All in all, very nice find!

Last edited:
Thanks! When I shine a light through it, it is opaque. I would think horn would be translucent similar to bone. BUT, it almost looks like it is painted. I will have to take a closer look. I know what I am going to shave with tomorrow though!

I am very excited, because this is my first Thiers Issard. I also learned some of its back story as well...it was owned by a barber who was diagnosed with a rare cancer, and sadly he passed away four months later.

Before passing away he must having lovingly waxed and wrapped this razor, because it has been in storage for the last ten years. You can see the wax still on it. I am excited to receive it!

Vr

Matt

5EDE089A-6934-469B-ABB6-6D45A91F3A96.jpeg
EDAA0856-D63B-4016-9137-3D1A4538EAFD.jpeg

I've been using my varied Feather shavettes for a couple of years, but tonite I made the leap into the straight razor rabbit hole. I started my next round of treatments and convinced myself I deserve this. That's the ticket! I bought the Dovo La Forme and the Dovo Carre from Royal Shave (both on sale) and a 3” Horween Notovan from Heirloom. Now we are cooking with gas. I'm very pleased and look forward to joining all of you on this next phase of the journey. Hope everyone had an awesome day today.
B06D6D01-F96B-453D-9E96-155F1C7BC06B.jpeg
C783F193-AA66-4C35-96E8-A25AFA12C529.jpeg

I've been using my varied Feather shavettes for a couple of years, but tonite I made the leap into the straight razor rabbit hole. I started my next round of treatments and convinced myself I deserve this. That's the ticket! I bought the Dovo La Forme and the Dovo Carre from Royal Shave (both on sale) and a 3” Horween Notovan from Heirloom.

Good decision and congrats!

Top Bottom