What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Picked this up from Rigarazor

Looking forward to sharing with it

20210611_133219.jpg
20210611_133228.jpg

Talk about falling down the rabbit hole…
It was less than 2 months ago I commented that I couldn’t afford a Fili 13 or 14 but would settle for a Fili 12. Well, today I am in possession of a Fili 13! The 13 is a Novodur, the 12 was a Doble Temple, no idea what differentiates the two.
A878BD93-3946-4122-91F0-3AF7571B530F.jpeg

EE284F82-23FE-47D1-B646-A58ABC080AC0.jpeg

Talk about falling down the rabbit hole…
It was less than 2 months ago I commented that I couldn’t afford a Fili 13 or 14 but would settle for a Fili 12. Well, today I am in possession of a Fili 13! The 13 is a Novodur, the 12 was a Doble Temple, no idea what differentiates the two.View attachment 1280411

View attachment 1280410

The “novodur” is Filarmonicas heavier grind “for professionals”, I believe it is just slightly heavier grind than the DT’s. Also they have a 3rd pin in scales, that’s about all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these Pre-Filarmonica by JMP?
No, they’re not.
“IBERIA is a prestigious name from the factory of Jose Bassat Jerusalmi. The industrialist José Bassat, was well known in the Spanish industrial circles and in the business world for his Fiqomatic razor blades. He was born in Sofia (Bulgaria), and arrived in Spain in 1930, where he created the company Bassat S.A, better known as Hojas Iberia. These vintage NOS #12 Doble Temple models are made with Swedish Steel and was produced in the 1930’s and is considered to be one of the best shavers made in Spain.”
The lowest one has different markings than the others and seems to be as a previous generation. But I couldn’t find further info.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

Well the Thiers Issard Spartacus arrived...to recap...here was the sellers photos:

1D4B5175-ADE2-4765-AC9A-EF1140DC8DB2.jpeg
258F6073-0319-4C0E-9F7F-61A6330DCC0C.jpeg
1D0093ED-B20D-428E-92C7-97D1C311847F.jpeg

So as I posted, this razor belonged to a barber who was sadly diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, and passed away four months later. This razor sat in storage for a little over a decade.

As I gently cleaned this razor, I couldn’t help but think how he must have lovingly oiled and waxed this blade, and then carefully wrapped it knowing he would not get an opportunity to use it again.

As I continued to clean this razor with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, a minty 7/8 Thiers Issard Spartacus with worked spine and dressed in magnificent rams horn scales emerged. I was floored...there is the slightest bit of very light tarnish near the toe on the front of the face, and the slightest bit of a spot in the middle on the back...these could easily be removed in about 30 seconds with flitz, but I am going to let it remain...the slightest of discoloration is part of this razor’s journey.

The scales are immaculate, straight, and the razor closes dead center. The bevel near the edge is straight and thin.

It is truly a stunning razor, and the craftsmanship appears to be absolutely top notch! I will likely hone it tomorrow!

Vr

Matt

Pics after cleaning:
F455F176-DD50-406E-A560-205E30BFD0B0.jpeg
ABAA19CB-FCDB-4666-A387-5CE4605D5035.jpeg
D0EB62BD-BC20-4F35-8D71-A4322AF6BCEE.jpeg
37F7A288-FBC2-49E9-A497-4F0F9543D4F5.jpeg

Gentlemen,

Well the Thiers Issard Spartacus arrived...to recap...here was the sellers photos:

View attachment 1280841View attachment 1280842View attachment 1280843

So as I posted, this razor belonged to a barber who was sadly diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, and passed away four months later. This razor sat in storage for a little over a decade.

As I gently cleaned this razor, I couldn’t help but think how he must have lovingly oiled and waxed this blade, and then carefully wrapped it knowing he would not get an opportunity to use it again.

As I continued to clean this razor with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, a minty 7/8 Thiers Issard Spartacus with worked spine and dressed in magnificent rams horn scales emerged. I was floored...there is the slightest bit of very light tarnish near the toe on the front of the face, and the slightest bit of a spot in the middle on the back...these could easily be removed in about 30 seconds with flitz, but I am going to let it remain...the slightest of discoloration is part of this razor’s journey.

The scales are immaculate, straight, and the razor closes dead center. The bevel near the edge is straight and thin.

It is truly a stunning razor, and the craftsmanship appears to be absolutely top notch! I will likely hone it tomorrow!

Vr

Matt

Pics after cleaning:
View attachment 1280846View attachment 1280847View attachment 1280848View attachment 1280849

A gem she is and taken care of well it was [emoji1419]Congrats Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gentlemen,

View attachment 1280841View attachment 1280842View attachment 1280843

Vr

Matt

Pics after cleaning:
View attachment 1280846View attachment 1280847View attachment 1280848View attachment 1280849
What did you use to clean the face? I have a razor I need to clean up.

Top Bottom