What's new

Stopping for the bus

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Has anyone ever had problems with drivers completely ignoring the school bus's stop signal and had success or saw success in changing that? My kids bus stop always has someone that violates the movement rule. Any help would be appreciated. I'm in PA.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It’s a problem down here, too. People just don’t pay attention anymore. Buses are being equipped with cameras now. Hopefully, they nail violators hard. A few nights in jail and a hefty fine would be good with me (although would never be so harsh), it’s the only way people will learn.

Yes, it's a problem, and those people are stupid. Because school buses now have cameras that either take video or take a picture of the cars that don't stop.

I dislike when i'm slowing down when a school bus is stopping, and some idiot driver starts honking and eventually drives around me because the can't spare a minute for the bus. I always hope a cop catches them, but no luck so far.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
It's infuriating. I see it often and I wish they'd all get caught.

Similar thing a few weeks a go, an emergency vehicle was coming up behind us (sirens & lights) so I pulled over to give way. I couldn't believe when I saw not one but two cars continue past me and ended up blocking the fire engine at the next light. The engine sounded loudest horn I ever heard. Friggin' idiot drivers!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's infuriating. I see it often and I wish they'd all get caught.

Similar thing a few weeks a go, an emergency vehicle was coming up behind us (sirens & lights) so I pulled over to give way. I couldn't believe when I saw not one but two cars continue past me and ended up blocking the fire engine at the next light. The engine sounded loudest horn I ever heard. Friggin' idiot drivers!
We've always had self absorbed idiots in this world, but it seems their numbers are on the rise (like the premise of Idiocracy- stupid people multiply faster).

What the hell is wrong with people these days? Been driving 55 years and the two vehicles I take extra precaution, when I see, are school buses and police cars. I've seen people blow by school buses on my residential street and wonder how can someone not see a big yellow bus with a stop sign arm out. Of course, I've also seen school bus drivers speed down my 25mph street at over 40 mph, so some of them are just as bad.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If it's something that happens all the time, it's worth a call to your police department. Some have been known to set up in areas where violations are rampant.

Take out your phone and record them and then report it to the police. This type of thing drives me nuts as kids are put in danger.
A local station posted a bunch of these guys. Sort of a shame thing. I dont know if it worked or not.

If it is around kids in my neighborhood, the local sheriff and the school will get a call. There was a recent incident where a child was killed due to this. It can get really serious, really quickly.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

There's a school bus I get behind every Monday morning on the way home from work and he just stops with yellow flashers as he picks kids up. No red lights, no stop sign that rotates out from the driver's side, just yellow caution flashers. Now, I DO stop behind this bus because I know he's getting kids, but from a legal standpoint I'd be allowed to pass since all he did was use the yellow caution/hazard lights. For all anyone knows is he pulled over to check something and put the hazards on. I've thought about calling the school's bus garage or even the PD but I feel like they wouldn't care in my city.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There's a school bus I get behind every Monday morning on the way home from work and he just stops with yellow flashers as he picks kids up. No red lights, no stop sign that rotates out from the driver's side, just yellow caution flashers. Now, I DO stop behind this bus because I know he's getting kids, but from a legal standpoint I'd be allowed to pass since all he did was use the yellow caution/hazard lights. For all anyone knows is he pulled over to check something and put the hazards on. I've thought about calling the school's bus garage or even the PD but I feel like they wouldn't care in my city.
Picking kids up may not be as dangerous so he’s not making everyone stop?

KeenDogg

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've notified our PD in the past, and they have sent a car out. That works in the short term. I think a majority of people aren't aware of the laws here until they've broken them. I'm sure you get a mix of people, those who care, those who dont, and those who dont know. Getting more people to be informed and care I guess is the main issue here.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
There are people that dont know that it's the law to stop for a school bus? How did they ever get a drivers license???

There are very few drivers that know the rules of the road and laws.

Just for fun, ask anyone to tell you their understanding of "right of way". It's frightening

Ask people what that left lane is for on the freeway, or what a left turn lane is for down the middle of a street, or who goes first at a 4-way stop, I could go on an on. UGH!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Wow. Makes me wonder. Back when I was in Drivers Ed a few students in my class actually failed. I wonder if anyone fails anymore. Or do we just hand out drivers licenses like candy bars?

KeenDogg

There are people that dont know that it's the law to stop for a school bus? How did they ever get a drivers license???
I think you can miss up to 3 questions.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There are very few drivers that know the rules of the road and laws.

Just for fun, ask anyone to tell you their understanding of "right of way". It's frightening
The most ignored sign- Yield to Ramp

This means no students will be crossing the road, and generally the bus is pulled off the road far enough for someone to pass. In reality only a moron should see these lights as permission to pass at high speed. They should know to slow down. Thank you for stopping.

In one little town I lived in years ago, this was a real problem. The local cops started driving in front of buses so the followers did not see them. You might say the coffers were filled in short order, and the problem stopped.

Top Bottom