Balm: Saponificio Varesino Puro Burro di Karitè
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Vespers

Tue 16 SOTD
Soap Stirling Varen - New & 1st Use
Brush Yaqi 24mm Goblin Husky Knot
Razor Gillette Tech on a Yaqi Handle
Blade Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Splash
Wow...what a soap! The epic scent overpowered the aftershaves, lingers & lasted a while too. Unique scent and liking it...
The lather is very creamy and slick with a surprisingly good post-shave feel...just awesome!!
Considered a frugal razor...paired with this blade...wow! Best shave in many days!! Easy, smooth, comfortable, and very efficient! Easily matched/surpass with my costlier razors in terms of efficiency. 3passes without any issues for a dolphin smooth finish. The aftershaves were good too but were overwhelmed by the soap...
20211116_091533.jpg

- Brush: Yaqi Sagruda Familia ($12)
- Razor: Weishi Nostalgic TTO ($15)
- Blade: Treet New a double Edge SS (1) ($0.08)
- Soap: Williams Mug Soap ($1.99)
- Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport ($4.99)
- Mug: $2.99

Just over $35 all in for this baller shave. 🤪

The Yaqi brush is excellent for the $$$ as is the Weishi razor. Treet blades are about as cheap as they come and it performs very well. Nice and smooth and medium sharp. The razor is very mild but quite well made.

The Williams has been left uncovered in a steel mug on a desk for a few years and is almost unscented at this point, but it lathered like I just opened the puck yesterday. Also, Ice Sport is an excellent modern scent. Can’t get much better at Walmart for the $$$!

Apologies for the crappy iPhone pic but my daughter confiscated my good camera for TikTok videos or something to that effect.
5FDE8354-8216-4EAE-BD78-E6227AA2F461.jpeg

Tue 16 SOTD
Soap Stirling Varen - New & 1st Use
Brush Yaqi 24mm Goblin Husky Knot
Razor Gillette Tech on a Yaqi Handle
Blade Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Splash
Wow...what a soap! The epic scent overpowered the aftershaves, lingers & lasted a while too. Unique scent and liking it...
The lather is very creamy and slick with a surprisingly good post-shave feel...just awesome!!
Considered a frugal razor...paired with this blade...wow! Best shave in many days!! Easy, smooth, comfortable, and very efficient! Easily matched/surpass with my costlier razors in terms of efficiency. 3passes without any issues for a dolphin smooth finish. The aftershaves were good too but were overwhelmed by the soap...
View attachment 1363444
Good shave report.
What weight does the Tech come to with the Yaqi handle, if I may ask? What Tech head is it, in terms of country of make and approximate date of manufacture? Did the handle improve the Tech performance?
Thanks!

- Brush: Yaqi Sagruda Familia ($12)
- Razor: Weishi Nostalgic TTO ($15)
- Blade: Treet New a double Edge SS (1) ($0.08)
- Soap: Williams Mug Soap ($1.99)
- Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport ($4.99)
- Mug: $2.99

Just over $35 all in for this baller shave. 🤪

The Yaqi brush is excellent for the $$$ as is the Weishi razor. Treet blades are about as cheap as they come and it performs very well. Nice and smooth and medium sharp. The razor is very mild but quite well made.

The Williams has been left uncovered in a steel mug on a desk for a few years and is almost unscented at this point, but it lathered like I just opened the puck yesterday. Also, Ice Sport is an excellent modern scent. Can’t get much better at Walmart for the $$$!

Apologies for the crappy iPhone pic but my daughter confiscated my good camera for TikTok videos or something to that effect.View attachment 1363454
Costings are important as this is Frugal week ;) soo..mine came out at (I'm converting to Dollars approximately)

Gillette Tech:$9.00 (A almost perfect example from a neat little 60's English grooming kit)
Gillette W/S blade:$0.02
Arko (1 stick): $0.40
Brush:$3.00 (A very good retro brush, good backbone, performs great. I suspect Chinese badger)
Witch Hazel gel:$2.50
Fruit Art:$0.10

I make it a $15.02 shave week. Yes I am cheap. When I have to be :)

Last edited:
Good shave report.
What weight does the Tech come to with the Yaqi handle, if I may ask? What Tech head is it, in terms of country of make and approximate date of manufacture? Did the handle improve the Tech performance?
Thanks!
Hey, thanks for the kind comments and for asking. The handle alone weighs 58.5g and combined with the tech head perhaps just around 65 but not more than 70g? The Gillette Tech is commonly found England-made, most probably in the early 1970s. I found it at a flea market for USD$4 in a not-so-good condition but after cleaning & polishing...it shaves wonderfully except it's a bit light and I tend to prefer a heavier handle plus some colors... 😆 and Yes it did improve the shave with the heavier weight. here are some before & after pictures...
20211116_111546.jpg
20211116_111859.jpg

Hey, thanks for the kind comments and for asking. The handle alone weighs 58.5g and combined with the tech head perhaps just around 65 but not more than 70g? The Gillette Tech is commonly found England-made, most probably in the early 1970s. I found it at a flea market for USD$4 in a not-so-good condition but after cleaning & polishing...it shaves wonderfully except it's a bit light and I tend to prefer a heavier handle plus some colors... 😆 and Yes it did improve the shave with the heavier weight. here are some before & after pictures...
View attachment 1363471View attachment 1363472
Nice restoration! Good job. Mine was the aluminum handle so it is all head in terms of weight. About 30-33gm. I put out a couple of threads on the performance with an almost weightless handle 'How To Get The Best Performance From A Light Weight Razor' and based on advice from colleagues after telling me about the shim, 'My First Time Making And Using A Sim. WOW' (lol)
I was blown away by performance improvement using a single shim in the Tech head, although feedback was interestingly mixed :) Made for a good couple of threads.
I have used my EJ DE89 short handle with it, but I need to try it again. That takes weight up to about 65gms.
So I do need a new, heftier handle for the Tech I think. I have not come across Yaqi before, so I will look at their stuff.
Thanks!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
FE8C6F1F-B7A5-4796-AEA0-3681C9C3F620.jpeg

1) Great Britain: Brush Simpson Trafalgar T3.
2) USA: Shaving Soap Long Rifle Voyageur Shaving Soap.
3) USA: Razor Gillette NDC Gold Ball End Tech.
4) Russia: Razor Blade GSB.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Australia: Aftershave Balm Natio For Men Calming Aftershave Balm.
7) USA: Cologne Jovan Musk Cologne.

SOTD : 16th November 2021.

3.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Pomegranate & Apple Extract Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Pears Transparent Bar Soap.
Brush: Fine 24mm Synthetic.
Face Lather.
Lather: Proraso sensitive.
Blade: Trig Silver Edge. ( D1) (Green cover)
Razor: Parker 98r.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./ Superdrug Forest Fresh ASL./ The Real Shaving Co. Post Shave Soothing Balm.

Greetings,

Early morning shave.

The Proraso Sensitive Soap provided me with slick protective lather for the shave leaving a equally good post shave feel. Out of the 3 Proraso soaps that i have, the sensitive has the best slickness...My only gripe with the soap is it leaves a white residue on the razor surface after i have finished the shave...However, this could be because i live in a hard water area and the soap reacts with the high minerals in the water which has nothing to do the ingredients of the soap.

A Enjoyable 2 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a small dollop of Creightons Sensitive PSB.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. 😎

Carbon CX - Carbon CX 316L (++) Plate - Razor
Personna - Personna Red - Blade
Polar Shaving - G4 Synthetic 24mm - Brush
Proraso - Wood and Spice - Pre shave Cream
Proraso - Wood And Spice - Shaving Cream
Floid - Vigiroso - After Shave
Proraso - Wood And Spice - After Shave Balm
SIG SOLO - SIG SOLO White - Bowl
Stor IMG_9482.jpg

SOD Tuesday November 16, 2021
Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Shave Nation
Pre shave: None
Lather: Proraso Blue (20)
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: None
Balm: Proraso Blue Dopobarba
Have a great day!
IMG_8101.jpg

Shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Ethos Lavender
Brush
AP Shaving
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
ATT S-1
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Ethos Skinfood
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is my second shave with the ATT S-1 and Wizament combination. The S-1 is one of my favorite razors and it works well with the Wizamet blade. The Ethos soap, as usual, provides a wonderful, lubricating lather. A nice BBS shave on a cool AZ morning. Have a good one.

48FE65D5-FC50-43B9-8498-85032A104AFF.png

SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 16, 2021

It was definitely time to pull out some long-neglected shaving tools this morning. Ever since acquiring the Tedalus Essence, just an amazing barber’s razor, I’ve been neglecting my formerly stalwart Feather DX. It definitely fits into the shorty open edge shaver category as does the Tedalus. As I’ve said in earlier posts, I really like shorties. And the Feather DX has never let me down on that score. A friend from down under, Russell, is responsible for my adoption of the Feather Super blade. It is the hands-down, sharpest, closest cutting AC blade available, and this morning’s two and a half pass mug shave was a delight leaving my face clean and porcelain smooth.

I enjoy using safety razors of both the DE and SE varieties, although if I have my druthers, I tend to tip in the SE direction. The modern G.E. Jone Shake Sharp is probably my favorite, although it is in a rather unique category all its own as it uses DE blades. My preferred injector blade shaver is the modern Supply razor, followed closely by the vintage Schick E Type. Now my favorite injector blade is the Schick Twinblade which works in the Supply and L Type and later injector razors. The silver-plated Paul Revere L Type was a promotion between Schick and International Silver during the 1971-76 period. I really like the long handle, and when fitted with a Gillette Injector Twinblade always delivers a two pass ATG velveteen result as it did this morning.

RAZOR: Feather DX (Mug), Schick “Paul Revere” L Type (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug), Schick Injector Twinblade (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE LE Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot #007
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Lilac Vegetal.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
FRUGAL Travel Shave of the Day
Arko $1
Plisson L’Occitane. Too much, $30, but it’s what I have in my travel kit
Flea Market Tech approx $5. Triangle slot pre-war thin bar handle
Voskhod approx 6 cents
Aqua Velva approx $4

Great frugal road shave today. Really nice Tech in great shape. This one has been riding around in my guitar case for about 4 years for emergency road shaves, along with the aqua velva splash. I pulled it out to replace the Lupo 95 in my Dopp kit. I always carry the Arko, blades and the Plisson in my Dopp kit, but I do keep an emergency Arko and blades in my guitar case. My only regret for this shave is that I should have had a $6 Razorock synth with me to earn the complete frugality reward. 🤪😎

952F5D7F-7E00-4182-93DD-FA43C828B833.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom