Not open for further replies.
11-15.jpg

Razor/Blade: Gillette Shawmut/Fat Tech "Franken"gold/Viking Sword
Soap: Saponificio Felce Aromatica
Brush: Semogue 620
AS: Lucky Tiger

0CDF061F-7006-45B1-A155-776465FC80F9.jpeg

SOTD MONDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 15, 2021

This morning I broke out the last of my four Japanese razors, the Hoshi Tombo 8000. This folding Kamisori blade is a symmetrical hollow grind that feels great in hand and holds an amazingly buttery smooth, sharp edge. Although it didn’t need it, last night I touched it up on the 9 Ball Slate and the Schlecter constroption with its four sides of graduated pastes. Then 40 on the roo-skin bench strop, and all was right with the world. There’s something about straight razors with shorter length blades (shorties) and my Swedish 4/8 razors that seems perfect for my neck whiskers, the bane of many straight shavers.

My old man neck whiskers swirl in a clockwise direction on either side of my Adam’s Apple (AA). Getting these areas as smooth as I’d like is a real challenge with longer straight razor blades, and much easier with my Shorties and Swedes which are more maneuverable in my arthritic hands. My touchup last night yielded a whisker destroying two and a half pass masterpiece mug shave this morning. It felt like I was just scooping away the MWF lather with each stroke resulting in a progressively smoother and smoother runway. Shorties seem perfect for the challenging scything strokes on each side of the AA, which left only a hint of stubble for a few flatblading scoops to complete the total velveteenization of my mug.

After that great mug shave, I needed a comparable noggin shave, and since I’d only shaved yesterday with my favorite vintage safety razor, the G.E. Jones Shake Sharp, I reached for the best adjustable in my den, the Rex Ambassador. Matt Pisarcik, its developer, prototyped it initially in 2016-2017 in brass based on his extensive safety razor repair background which had led to a deep understanding of adjustable safety razor design. The razor was announced for pre-orders at Big Shave West in 2017 and rolled out by the last two quarters of that year. All Rex Ambassadors have a unique serial number and are constructed from stainless steel in a CNC manufacturing process. My razor dates to 2019, and despite an initial hiccup, which Matt remedied on his dime, is a tremendous shaver. It completed the velveteenization of your very pleased narrator’s noggin in two ATG passes on 6 and 4 respectively.

RAZOR: Hoshi Tombo 8000 6/8 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Williams Aqua Velva (Spanish Version)

Razor: OneBlade Core
Blade: Feather (5)
Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Derby SS (2)
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper
Brush: Frank Shaving Badger
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Balm: Proraso Blue
Aftershave: Brut

I started with the OneBlade to see if I could get a 5th shave with the blade, but the Feather was exhausted: pulling and tugging and not cutting well. The Twig was loaded and ready to go. It produced a nice DFS+ shave. I acquired the Twig shortly after the OneBlade. I prefer the Twig of the two. The balm was necessary after what the Feather did to my face.

33656ABA-F63E-4F47-B328-4ED79E401DB6.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, Nov 15th 2021

Razor: Gem Junior bar lather catcher- Mfg 1907-11, upper mild range razor, beautiful razor to use, easy to work the face and I enjoy using this great razor and it performs well with a sharp blade.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) Excellent blade, very sharp, excellent longevity + smooths out nicely 7 predictable.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea, very unique scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm Moka synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre Shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(Balm)+ scentless.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar lather catcher with a coated Gem Blade.
SOTD, Nov 15, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

20211114_083007.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready Streamline
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

InShot_20211115_171541869.jpg

Monday head shave

Preshave: RazoRock Charcoal Lime Pre Shave Soap in shower + Proraso Red Preshave Cream

Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V4

Blade: Voskhod (3)

Brush: Whipped Dog 30mm silvertip

Lather: Declaration Grooming FAKE YELLOW LIGHT

Postshave: Osma Alum Block + Life Witch Hazel

Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve + Barrister and Mann Diamond Aftershave balm

Notes: Frugal because I bought the DG and BM balm on sale 👀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom