What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" November 9th - November 15th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a sort of black sheep grocery store shave- somewhere between BBS & DFS. Woke up feeling the face & felt like a DFS still.

Brush: Vanderhagen Boar
Razor: EJ DL89
Blade: Vanderhagen (1)
Soap: Arko
Bowl: Dirty Bird Scuttle
Aftershave: Gillette Sensitive Skin ASB

Those VDH blades command respect & I think they get a bad rap because it isn’t given. I had no problems 😎
3DFC209E-E43D-4A04-A3D7-4CF33AF78D98.jpeg

Friday, 11/13:

20201113_131238.jpg

Razor - Razorock Mamba 70
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
Brush - TurnNShave "Citric Swirl" 26mm Silversynth
Soap - Ethos Grooming Lavender Supreme
A/S - Ethos Grooming Lavender Supreme

Color me impressed. Today's soap whipped up quite a lather in the bowl. Seriously top-notch stuff. Perfect consistency, very very slick, and honestly the biggest thing I noticed was that it felt very protective. Maybe it was because the razor glided so nicely, or some ingredient in the soap, but it just made my face feel really good. The passage of the razor was smooth and easy, the lavender scent was awesome, and the splash at the end left my skin really soft with no greasiness. This feels amazing!

SOTD, Friday, November 13th, 2020

Shower + Ach Brito Glyce face lather and rinse
Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap
The Art of Shaving badger brush
Thiers-Issard 6/8" straight razor
Schick injector safety razor + Schick stainless blade for touch-up
Cool washcloth rinse
Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba cologne

proxy.php

Friday's Shave
Warm shower​
Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth​
Buck 39 Salient by Caleb Cooper - G10 Scales​
Proraso White Cream, Green Tea & Oat​
Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Proraso White Soap, Green Tea & Oat​
Thayer's Original Witch Hazel​
Proraso White Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
DFS!

proxy.php

Catching up…

Thursday night shave

6ABA56EC-23E0-45EE-A661-EE79F73142BA.jpeg

Prep: PAA Cube 2.0
Soap: Ariana & Evans Peach & Cognac
Brush AP Shave Co. handle with a Shave Forge boar knot
Razor: Merkur 34C HD, shave #2
Blade: Astra SP, shimmed (#4)
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid -> Gillette Series post-shave moisturizer (freebie from Shave Dash)

Easy DFS tonight in two passes. Did not find a huge difference with the shim added in tonight, I’ll probably go back and forth as I continue to use this razor. Had some issues with the brush tonight, which was a first. It seems as it’s breaking in that it’s “hollowing out” in the middle; or more accurately, it appears the density I thought was there was really not as I use it more. I’ll continue to keep an eye on it, but it was only so-so tonight. The soap was very good. I like the scent enough that I’ll probably pick up the aftershave at some point. It’s also the rare scent liked by TLOTH.

TGIF shave

A887C2A7-F66E-4D1D-AC93-7912AC614846.jpeg

Prep: PAA Cube 2.0
Soap: Ethos Succès
Brush: Simpson Astor A1 Best Badger
Razor: Merkur 34C HD, shave #3
Blade: Astra SP, shimmed (#5 and this one will be turned into the latest shim)

Tried to go steep tonight, but this razor does not seem to be as amenable to it as the Yaqi Beast. Comfort was certainly there, but only managed a CCS and needed to do a bit of touch-up to get there. So, think I’ll stick to shallower angles with this one. The new-to-me Astor was a treat—great knot and perfect for bowl lathering. Also first use of Ethos and particularly like the soap: easy to lather, good cushion, plenty slick, and a great pineapple scent. The aftershave really needs a heavy hand to get any out (not necessarily a bad thing—just a very stingy restrictor) and is really interesting in that it absorbs almost instantly—faster than anything else I’ve used. The scent isn’t overpowering, but definitely has more of the cologne elements vs. the soap, at least to my nose.

Saturday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: Gillette Rhodium Toggle
Blade: Gillette Platinum (D6)
Brush: Turtleship Shave Machine 073 24mm synthetic
Bowl: The Distinctive Goat Style 10 5½” Walnut
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Mandarin and Cardamom
Shave Soap: Grooming Dept Chypre Vert
Balm: Organic Shea Butter
Aftershave: Extro Cologne Italiana

Friday Night

EJ DE86 Head
Tech Handle
Rapira PL (5)
Omega Boar
Pre de Provence 63
Pinaud Clubman AS
This has been a great combo lately.
This soap is top quality, my all time favorite. I’m sticking with it. It and Cella are the only soaps I’ll use after I gradually use up everything else. I’m hooked. No photo tonight.

That’s it!

Date:- 14 November 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Bruce Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Whispers from the Woods (Australian made) ~ All Things Nice "Spiced Sandalwood & Honey"
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matt SS 'SB-C' / Vintage Gillette Aussie 'Gold' Spoiler #7
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (30 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

14th Nov
Rex Supply Co Ambassador
Wilkinson Super Sword Edge Vintage (10) + Feather (2)
Simpsons Chubby 2 Manchurian
Taylors of Old Bond St Sandalwood Soap
Thayers WH
Taylors of Old Bond St Sandalwood Cologne.

The Rex was set on #5, first a WTG pass with the day-10 wilkie blade, very smooth but not that sharp, the heft of the rex pushing things along. For the XTG and ATG passes I swapped over to the feather blade ,still keeping at Razor on #5. Some very close and careful passes right there, yet still comfortable. No kicks or any irritation, my technique or skin hardness is improving with more aggressive DE blade and razor setups.

I only use the Rex a few times a month, and today I perceived some drag/friction compared to my vintage Gillette OCs and Fatboy, it could be the lather wasn't wet enough in those moments.

SOD 14-Nov.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom