What's new

Soap Acquisition Thread

9E272E69-9302-4A66-9710-7DD662E9BF73.jpeg

My newest soaps. I tried the MDC Rose sample and love it. Cella Bio and Speick are based on recommendations from our community.

Today's mail call from Maggard Razors!

Zingari Man "The Nomad" (Sego Base)
"For the well-kept wanderer, this shave soap goes where you go. Take in the scents of Sweetbay, lime and rum. This is a fresher take on the traditional bay rum. Instead of heavy spice, we kept it a bit lighter with a more forward citrus pop. This is a sexy and masculine blend."

Ariana & Evans "Summer Fig" (Tallow and Goat Milk Base)
"This is a unique fresh fig scent, with complexities of wood, citrus and fresh green leaves. Notes are: Bergamot, Tangerine, Fig, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Oakmoss & Musk."

View attachment 1090415
You're a bad influence. I just purchased both of these (and A&E Asian Pear) after seeing your post. :thumbup:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I just acquired this Goya Cedar Wood soap and it appears to be unused; has anyone tried this and can comment on the scent or performance? Would anyone have an idea of the approximate age of this soap? I am thinking 70's by the packaging. Thank you.

CW.jpg

Discovered Grooming Department, reading this forums, as one of best soaps

First shave with Nai Formula
Scent, amazing, Lilly of the fields, and honeysuckle , yum

Shave and scent amazing as well as post shave
I can’t stop feeling my face, excellent post shave, no aftershave needed

I now own this soap and lambs tallow Angel

This is my new go to artisan , but soaps sells out quickly, wow what a shave and post feel

proxy.php

A bit long-winded, but bear with me :)

With a mind to future air travel, a while back I decided to make up a small-sized Dopp kit that had, aside from toothpaste, no gels or liquids, to remove any potential for leakage or breakage due to rough handling in transit (and to embugger the TSA nuts at airports looking to stuff you up for beaching the insane liquid quantity restrictions). OK so far, one might think.

But making the kit small enough to be able to easily be contained with all the other stuff you stick in the carry-on bag is a bit of a neat trick.

I'm doing OK with that, with bars of soap and solid shampoo, but getting a shaving soap or stick that was tidy before, during, and after my morning routine was a tad... annoying; I've found large-bore twist-up shaving sticks (Taylor of Old Bond Street, their Sandalwood offering is VERY nice), but it takes up too much space in the smaller Dopp kit bag I aim to use (Snugpak Essential Wash bag. Nice and compact). So, I had to look further afield.

The problem I have with the more easily found shaving sticks is that when they get wet, they get remarkably slippery, and harder to handle; Such sticks as Palmolive, Proraso, Tabac, and so on, come in a foil wrapping with a plastic base; the stick comes out of the plastic base with monotonous regularity for these (and others), and thus your hand gets a fairly illiberal coating of soap, when you'd intended the soap to be all over your beard area instead. Messy. Yes, you can wash it off, but it's the waste that irritates me more. So, twist-up is my preference for shaving sticks, as all you need to handle is the plastic case in which the soap is contained. So, a small-bore twist up stick.

By pure chance, I've found that you can now get Mühle brand shaving sticks in small bore 37 gram sizes, in a twist-up case, as opposed to what I found previously, which were large-bore ones. So, I've got one on order, in their sandalwood pong - I mean "fragrance" ;)

I'll give it a good long try for my normal home routine, and see if it's any good. If it is, another will be ordered to go in the travel bag :)

I tried out PAA Mega Flora today. It's a great floral scent, with a definite sense of "fresh-cut" greenness to it. I'm very pleased!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Arrived today, a Mühle shaving stick in Sandalwood.

muhle_sandlewood_stick.jpg

Shown next to a Boots (a nationwide pharmacy and personal care products chain here in the UK) brand shaving stick container (currently holding a Palmolive shaving stick!), it's the same diameter, but a quarter longer container length than the Boots non-twist container, which twist-up mechanism likely accounts for the extra length of the Mühle container.

The process I use to shave is to dampen face with a HOT flannel, apply the shaving soap stick directly to beard area with a couple of firm passes, lather with a shaving brush, and then shave, applying a bock of Alum afterwards, and cologne as appropriate (I have some Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandlewood aftershave lotion!).

On first use, I found the lather generated to be roughly equivalent to a Boots shaving stick; the Palmolive stick (and tube of creme as well) generate more lather, I think; this said, it was perfectly adequate to the task, and once the actual edges of the stick have worn down to rounded edges with use, I suspect it'll make either the same or more lather per pass. The scent of the stick was subtle, but present, and did indeed smell of Sandalwood.

While the sandalwood scent wasn't the main reason I got this one (the twist-up mechanism was, as it's much less messy than normal shaving sticks), I am satisfied with the end result; this is going into my travel Dopp kit with immediate effect.

NOTE: The only sandalwood shaving stick I've used hitherto has been the truly huge Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood twist up stick, and that produced arguably the best quality and quantity of lather per pass than any other stick of any brand or scent that I've used. Pity it doesn't come in this size. Oh, well ;)

Well done, Mühle :)

Last edited:
I tried out PAA Mega Flora today. It's a great floral scent, with a definite sense of "fresh-cut" greenness to it. I'm very pleased!

Hey, was looking at this scent. Would you say it is like a Brut on steroids? That is kinda how I envision it. Other notes that jump out? Thanks!

Hey, was looking at this scent. Would you say it is like a Brut on steroids? That is kinda how I envision it. Other notes that jump out? Thanks!
I don't get a Brut impression. More like "flower shop." It's a scent of very freshly cut flowers. I can't place what type of flowers, which is why I feel like I'm smelling a shop full.

This just arrived. I bought it based on 2 recommendations from B&Bers after I asked what a good replacement would be for Mickey Lee The Kraken. Can't wait to try it!! It smells promising after just removing the top. :thumbsup:

Zingari Man The Wanderer (plus sample of Magician!)

View attachment 1094231

I suspect the only regret you will have in your purchase of Zingari Man is that you did not get a full tub of Magician. The scent of Wanderer is very good, but the scent of Magician is wonderful. Performance of Sego is elite class.

I suspect the only regret you will have in your purchase of Zingari Man is that you did not get a full tub of Magician. The scent of Wanderer is very good, but the scent of Magician is wonderful. Performance of Sego is elite class.

I suspect that our dear Mr. Charliemilano will also soon regret not picking up tubs of Zingari Man "The Monad" and "The Explorer" and "The Soloist (from WCS)" and the rest of the amazing Sego base soaps that Heather crafts!

Top Bottom