What's new

Soap Acquisition Thread

My most recent acquisition is fortunately, my favorite. I’m also looking forward to the release of an entire line of soaps later this week by this artisan, Ethos Grooming.
The soap I have is Dragonsbeard. But they are coming out with a lavender soap, as well as others.

72226E85-25A8-41AE-97AA-08F577D12095.jpeg

@Altonius, I am betting (and sincerely hoping) that you will just FLIP over the incredible performance and amazingly complex scent profiles of the Barrister and Mann shaving soaps! Cologne Russe is an absolute must on my list!

Yeah, so, my B&M shipment arrived yesterday. W-O-W!!! The smells were very earthy and rich. Spent the afternoon occasionally taking whiffs in my home office. Couldn’t wait so I whipped up a practice lather, and we’ll say not much practice is required. I now see what all hype is about for these artisan soaps. You truly get what you pay for.

I already find myself browsing the A&E site..........

16FBD8DA-487A-4D0E-9B96-FA840566AAE9.jpeg

Pink peppercorns are actually berries. They are in the same family of foods we refer to as nuts such as peanuts and cashews, which are considered edible seeds. However, I was unaware that these berries fell into the same classification as these “nuts” and I am surprised. I don’t have any allergy to peanuts or the like. But this is good to know as general knowledge going forward. 👍🏻
Proraso Red has shea butter. Some people are sensitive to that.

Yeah, so, my B&M shipment arrived yesterday. W-O-W!!! The smells were very earthy and rich. Spent the afternoon occasionally taking whiffs in my home office. Couldn’t wait so I whipped up a practice lather, and we’ll say not much practice is required. I now see what all hype is about for these artisan soaps. You truly get what you pay for.

I already find myself browsing the A&E site..........

View attachment 1078312
You might be better off ordering from a different site. The A&E direct site doesn’t have a complete/decent selection.

Newest additions are:

Barrister & Mann Reserve Cool
Barrister & Mann Bay Rum
West Coast Shaving Chypre

And, now I have the Reserve cool aftershave on order!
That WCS Chypre is in my cart right now. I know it’ll work well but you never know about the scent. Your impression on the scent would be great.

That WCS Chypre is in my cart right now. I know it’ll work well but you never know about the scent. Your impression on the scent would be great.

Scent is sooooo hard for me. First let me state a few things before I give an impression.

1. I can tell you if I like it or not, but when it comes to finding "notes" etc. I have a very tough time.
2. I am convinced that people smell differently. I have taken soaps that I thought smelled a certain way, and had others smell them, and they don't smell any of the things that I smell.
3. I have started using a 3 part rating system to track soaps I have tried/own, etc. Performance, Scent, and packaging. I weigh them 50% Scent, 40% Performance, 10% Packaging.

So, as to the WCS Chypre (Oleo soapworks duck fat base). It is the first Oleo soap I have tried.

Performance is good. I give it an 7 in performance.
Scent I give a 5. It is labeled as a Citrus Resin scent. I love citrus, but I get a lot more resin than citrus. I dont love it, but it doesnt turn me away either. Kinda neutral on it.
Packaging is a 7.5. It comes in a plastic tub, and it is a good size, but a bit flimsy.

I got it on sale for $15 with some other stuff I wanted, and i will probably keep it around, but it could also end up as trading fodder.

Probably more than you wanted, but that's my take.

Scent is sooooo hard for me. First let me state a few things before I give an impression.

1. I can tell you if I like it or not, but when it comes to finding "notes" etc. I have a very tough time.
2. I am convinced that people smell differently. I have taken soaps that I thought smelled a certain way, and had others smell them, and they don't smell any of the things that I smell.
3. I have started using a 3 part rating system to track soaps I have tried/own, etc. Performance, Scent, and packaging. I weigh them 50% Scent, 40% Performance, 10% Packaging.

So, as to the WCS Chypre (Oleo soapworks duck fat base). It is the first Oleo soap I have tried.

Performance is good. I give it an 7 in performance.
Scent I give a 5. It is labeled as a Citrus Resin scent. I love citrus, but I get a lot more resin than citrus. I dont love it, but it doesnt turn me away either. Kinda neutral on it.
Packaging is a 7.5. It comes in a plastic tub, and it is a good size, but a bit flimsy.

I got it on sale for $15 with some other stuff I wanted, and i will probably keep it around, but it could also end up as trading fodder.

Probably more than you wanted, but that's my take.
I have their Oriental duck base soap and really like it. I was just curious on the scent. And the Cologne soap too. Those two look good. Well I was also kinda interesting in the Gatsby one but it’s sold out.

proxy.php

Ok I just got my order in today, this Brown Windsor and Windjammer. These are my 2nd and 3rd Mystic Water soaps I’ve bought (my first last week bay rum) that’s how much I was impressed with the performance of the bay rum I bought 2 more within a couple days of receiving the Bay Rum. Ok It’s a thirsty soap in IMO as I was having trouble lathering at first I kept thinking I didn’t load enough but soon realized by adding more and more water I got the biggest thickest slickest lather enough for 10 passes and what a smooth shave and even after washing the left over off my face it felt so slick it was like I could’ve done another pass off of that. I am a forever customer of Michelle’s she sure knows what she’s doing and a bonus one of the nicest people to deal with. Now I can’t describe the scent I’ve never smelled anything like it but I rent to gravitate towards spicier scents so the caraway oil brings this uniqueness that I can’t get enough of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBS sandalwood is one of my favorites; then Mr. Taylor's became the scent I favor, until I smelled the Jermyn Street.

I am starting to favor soaps, so probably the last cream I buy for quite awhile...soap will become part of my strategic reserves. :)

IMG_9430 - Copy.jpg

Got the Asylum Royal Fougere yesterday. It’s the second one I own after a WCS Fougere. The Asylum version is a little thirstier than the WCS version and smells lighter/sweeter. The Asylum Royal Fougere smells like you’re in a lightly wooded field after a rain, while the WCS version smells darker, like you’re much deeper in the woods. I really like both, actually. I think I’m going to stick with these two for the spring, with occasional trips my palate cleanser (MWF and Fine American Blend).

Just received and shaved immediately with Grooming Dept Angel
Lamb Tallow formula
Scent complex amazing

Slickness/ cushion and glide tops , thick creamy yokart consistency
Post unreal can’t stop feeling my face

Order took bout 8 days to ship but clearly stated on website so I was patient

Tub fully densely packed

Used semi dry brush, swirl 20 seconds
( this soap will last long time)

Tried best to break soap by adding water but soap amazing kept going

Scent complex strong creamy goodness heavenly scent

This only after first shave has taken my number one spot

Shave soap and shave experience was so good, I immediately went to website and ordered more while in stock
Only neg is no aftershave on there website but you don’t need it as post shave is out of this world [emoji289]

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's my birthday on Sunday... so I asked my sister if she could get me some La Toja stick as a gift. A pack of three.
She agreed to, so hopefully in a couple of days Ill get to use some. I'm really looking forward to it as I haven't had any stick soap for quite awhile. I've read many good reviews about it on this forum.

Top Bottom