What's new

Soap Acquisition Thread

Wholly Kaw Denarius. I bought this on a whim as I was looking for a soap to add to an order to get free shipping. I'm not sure how to describe the scent other than to say it's not like any other soap I've smelled. It's very dark and earthy with some kind of floral thing going on in the background, but the floral portion is dominated by the dark earthiness. I predict this will be a love it or hate it type scent. It's not something I'll buy again.

IMG_20200411_114621.jpg

Wholly Kaw Denarius. I bought this on a whim as I was looking for a soap to add to an order to get free shipping. I'm not sure how to describe the scent other than to say it's not like any other soap I've smelled. It's very dark and earthy with some kind of floral thing going on in the background, but the floral portion is dominated by the dark earthiness. I predict this will be a love it or hate it type scent. It's not something I'll buy again.

View attachment 1085466
I had samples of 6 Wholly Kaw scents and I thought all of them were so-so except one that smelled like chocolate and another one called Dark Vetiver that was actually a very sweet, light vetiver. I can't remember what the one that smelled like chocolate was called. They lathered great and shaved great, but I was not a fan of the scents, generally speaking.

IMG_20200418_084155.jpg

I bought all these in the last month or so. Definitely went a little crazy. Some of my favorites include WCS/Zingari The Soloist, A&E Vanille de Tabac, L'Orange Verte, Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars, Duc de Santal, Stirling Sandpiper, Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender, MdC Agrumes, SV 70th Anniversary, B&M Nordost, Le Grand Chypre, Declaration Grooming Massacre of the Innocents and Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Gentleman's Lavender.

There are others in there too but those are the ones that stand out to me as far as scent goes. I haven't used them all yet but I've used each brand at least once and they all perform great. My least favorite scent, by far, is Wholly Kaw Denarius. It's strong, dark, and will be a love/hate scent, imo.

For those that are interested in tobacco and dark liquor scents the Vanille de Tabac, The Soloist, and Cognac and Cuban Cigars are all very similar with subtle differences. The VdT has more vanilla sweetness and warmth than the other two. C&CC has a little floral thing going on and less sweetness/vanilla than VdT. The Soloist doesn't have as much floral as C&CC or sweetness as VdT but it has a spicy/peppery thing going on that the other two don't. These three are probably my favorite out of everything, with citrus scents following closely behind.

I've got some Nuavia Blu on the way and 3 from A&E, Declaration Grooming, and Wholly Kaw. After that I think I'm done buying for a few years lol.

I bought all these in the last month or so. Definitely went a little crazy. Some of my favorites include WCS/Zingari The Soloist, A&E Vanille de Tabac, L'Orange Verte, Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars, Duc de Santal, Stirling Sandpiper, Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender, MdC Agrumes, SV 70th Anniversary, B&M Nordost, Le Grand Chypre, Declaration Grooming Massacre of the Innocents and Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Gentleman's Lavender.

There are others in there too but those are the ones that stand out to me as far as scent goes. I haven't used them all yet but I've used each brand at least once and they all perform great. My least favorite scent, by far, is Wholly Kaw Denarius. It's strong, dark, and will be a love/hate scent, imo.

For those that are interested in tobacco and dark liquor scents the Vanille de Tabac, The Soloist, and Cognac and Cuban Cigars are all very similar with subtle differences. The VdT has more vanilla sweetness and warmth than the other two. C&CC has a little floral thing going on and less sweetness/vanilla than VdT. The Soloist doesn't have as much floral as C&CC or sweetness as VdT but it has a spicy/peppery thing going on that the other two don't. These three are probably my favorite out of everything, with citrus scents following closely behind.

I've got some Nuavia Blu on the way and 3 from A&E, Declaration Grooming, and Wholly Kaw. After that I think I'm done buying for a few years lol.

I love the scent of Cognac and Cuban Cigars; but the performance of Henri et Victoria is not as good as some of the other soaps you purchased. Still, I enjoy the scent so much that I overlook the performance shortcomings.

I have not tried Wholly Kaw Denarius and do not plan to do so. Although I love the performance of the Siero tallow base; I would likely fall into the hate category as far as the "mousse de Saxe" type scent goes. I am debating whether to add Entropy Man to my den. I have quite a few WK soaps already and do not really need another, but the performance is so good, I am tempted.

GREAT CHOICE!! Had a great shave with the Fat this AM!!

Good call, sir. I'm already hooked—"Fat Friday" is a regular thing now. :)

I finally got around to trying Feather blades...love at first shave for me. By the second blade, I had a pack of 200 in the den. Feather + MWF is an amazing combo...find myself petting my face hours and hours later. Good stuff.

I did purchase the bath soap with it, which I took for a spin yesterday...same scent, but perhaps a bit more pronounced (in a good way)...smelled 'clean', for lack of a better word. lol

Fat-Friday-SOTD.jpg

I love the scent of Cognac and Cuban Cigars; but the performance of Henri et Victoria is not as good as some of the other soaps you purchased. Still, I enjoy the scent so much that I overlook the performance shortcomings.

I have not tried Wholly Kaw Denarius and do not plan to do so. Although I love the performance of the Siero tallow base; I would likely fall into the hate category as far as the "mousse de Saxe" type scent goes. I am debating whether to add Entropy Man to my den. I have quite a few WK soaps already and do not really need another, but the performance is so good, I am tempted.

I've got a sample of entropy man and there isn't anything about it that makes me think someone would hate it. I'd say it's safe enough to give it a shot. Certainly nothing like Denarius, which I wouldn't recommend unless you know what you're getting into.

WCS Tobacco (“dented tin” sale) and Olympus sample, freshly arrived. Both came with the corresponding AS samples.

I think so far WCS/Asylum and Barrister & Mann are my two favorite artisan brands (with a shoutout to WCS for their Fougere, the only house-brand soap of theirs I’ve tried), both combining good scents and performance. From the tin, Tobacco is a green scent, not smokey - definitely one for spring. Very much looking forward to using this one, probably tomorrow. I might see how this pairs with the Asylum Virginia AS.

The Olympus scent, oth, is a tad too sweet for my taste. We’ll see if that changes with a lather.

IMG_20200420_163233.jpg

View attachment 1088326

Did you ever try Phoenix AA Cavendish if you like the smokiness of Cognac & Cuban Cigars?

WCS Tobacco (“dented tin” sale) and Olympus sample, freshly arrived. Both came with the corresponding AS samples.

I think so far WCS/Asylum and Barrister & Mann are my two favorite artisan brands (with a shoutout to WCS for their Fougere, the only house-brand soap of theirs I’ve tried), both combining good scents and performance. From the tin, Tobacco is a green scent, not smokey - definitely one for spring. Very much looking forward to using this one, probably tomorrow. I might see how this pairs with the Asylum Virginia AS.

The Olympus scent, oth, is a tad too sweet for my taste. We’ll see if that changes with a lather.

View attachment 1089592

I believe you meant WSP (Wet Shaving Products) who also make Asylum rather than WCS (West Coast Shaving).
Oleo Soapworks and Caties Bubbles make soaps for WCS.

Did you ever try Phoenix AA Cavendish if you like the smokiness of Cognac & Cuban Cigars?

I didn't and at this point I've got enough of those type scents to last me quite a while. I went a little overboard the last month and a half buying soaps lol.

I didn't and at this point I've got enough of those type scents to last me quite a while. I went a little overboard the last month and a half buying soaps lol.

I get it....... been there , done that myself.

Today's mail call from Maggard Razors!

Zingari Man "The Nomad" (Sego Base)
"For the well-kept wanderer, this shave soap goes where you go. Take in the scents of Sweetbay, lime and rum. This is a fresher take on the traditional bay rum. Instead of heavy spice, we kept it a bit lighter with a more forward citrus pop. This is a sexy and masculine blend."

Ariana & Evans "Summer Fig" (Tallow and Goat Milk Base)
"This is a unique fresh fig scent, with complexities of wood, citrus and fresh green leaves. Notes are: Bergamot, Tangerine, Fig, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Oakmoss & Musk."

20200422_111710 (2).jpg

Top Bottom