What's new

Soap Acquisition Thread

Declaration Grooming Cerberus

proxy.php

proxy.php

A parcel from Connaught arrived, today, containing a Tabac soap and bowl, refill stick, and refill puck. The bowl and stick are tallow while the refill puck is non-tallow.

Also, there's one of Connaught's medium-sized, hand-turned, dark oak, lidded soap bowls.

The bowl is slightly too shallow to accommodate the Tabac puck, so a bit of surgery is required (i.e. slicing off 1/8" from the bottom of the puck) for a perfect fit...

proxy.php

As reported by others, the scent of the non-tallow version is slightly different from the tallow version. It's still musky, woody, and spicy, but has an added sharp note that reminds me of the tang of lemon-scented laundry detergent. It's a touch medicine-y, but not offensively so.

Meanwhile, the non-tallow puck is definitely a different colour than the tallow version. Side by side, you can see that the tallow version is lightly buff (brownish-yellow) while the non-tallow version is a creamy white...

proxy.php

I'll be testing the non-tallow puck tomorrow. If all goes well, then it could be a satisfactory substitute for the tallow version.

However, if it doesn't live up to the performance of the tallow version, then that's fine, too. With today's haul added to the Tabac that I already own, I have enough tallowed Tabac to last 20 years. 😁

I ordered some soaps that are not available here. A bulk buy to offset shipping to NZ:
  • PantaRei: Ibla
  • Stirling: Margaritas in the Arctic, Executive Man, Glacial Peach
  • Ariana & Evans: Peach & Cognac,
  • Col Conk, Amber

Most recently acquired:

Laugar Rimfrost
Laugar Alvdans
Laugar Ragnarok
Laugar Skogsra
MacDuff Spring Cabin
Eufros Kasbah
Eufros Lima-Especias

I had not bought any soaps in forever and 3017'd a much as I could, and I did throw out a few soaps where the performance just wasn't up to snuff. This should last me a LONG time.

Top Bottom