What's new

So GRUME is What Exactly...?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Truly? That's amazing. Where do you keep them all? Have not some of them gone...south?
I have duplicates of many that I keep in storage in boxes way back in a deep, dark cool closet. Like 18 bottles of vintage Shulton Old Spice for instance? I also am a very seasonal kinda guy, so I rotate aftershaves between storage and the shelves in my shave den quite often.

For instance, I currently have a Summer & Spring rotation of 30- 40 bottles out right now.
First sign of fall weather and they all go back in boxes and the fall and winter rotation will come out.

Sometimes, just because it’s out, doesn’t mean it will get used. It all depends on how I’m thinking and feeling that day. I only have a couple of bottles of vintage Gillette Sun Up left. One bottle is in storage and the other is out in rotation. I haven’t used it at all this summer because I don’t have much stock left and want to conserve it by waiting until those times I’m just really feeling it. Plus, it helps that I have a bottle of B&M’s knock off of their reserve copy that they have also already discontinued. :(

I’m sure I won’t outlive my collection so I try not to purchase more unless I absolutely have to. In saying this, I just picked up the new Floid Original to try, because I felt like I absolutely had to. :)

To make it even more complicated, I also love to use my Bootlegger’s Series of aftershaves, that I really miss if and when I’m trying to use up all the other stuff I have.

I think I actually prefer Bootlegger’s more than many of the others in my collection but I’m very biased. :)

OkieStubble

The movie? Absofrickinlutely

IMG_0223.jpg

If Jesus wasn’t rocking a beard? He would splash on Bootlegger’s EL Dorado…. :)

OkieStubble

My all time favourite is Pierre Cardin Aftershave Balm. Managed to score a dozen 1oz. bottles off eBay years ago. Down to 2.5 bottles now. Just my favourite scent.

You sir, have great taste! I have a couple of Christmas gift boxes in storage of Pierre Cardin AS & Cologne sets. No balm though.

Pierre Cardin, especially the 80's and early 90's juice is absolutely wonderful to my nose! Right up there with some of the other great classics like Grey Flannel and many others. Those one's that are rarely, or hardly ever used... But when they are; Wow!

:)

Sometimes it's hard to gauge intent and what's written. Their are times when it's a little more clear as the following example demonstrates:

Someone posting in the Tabac Brotherhood forum touting how awful and evil smelling Tabac is. I know Tabac isn't everyone's cup of tea so why bother venting in a place where the participants actually really like it?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’m Mr. Shavington (pronounced ‘Shavvington’) and I’m a shaving gear addict.

Hi, Mr. Shayvington.

Thank you for a truly appreciated reply. I have a tendency (according to my wife) to let fly and let the chips/comments fall where they may. My internal modulator/governor may be in need ion serving.

Glad to see this thread took a turn for the better and ended up a polite discussion.

;)

You sir, have great taste! I have a couple of Christmas gift boxes in storage of Pierre Cardin AS & Cologne sets. No balm though.

Pierre Cardin, especially the 80's and early 90's juice is absolutely wonderful to my nose! Right up there with some of the other great classics like Grey Flannel and many others. Those one's that are rarely, or hardly ever used... But when they are; Wow!

:)
If you can get a hold of the balm...truly an amazing scent. Not like the AS etc but its own unique smell. eBay has them every now and then.

Like Mr. Shavington, I'm a shaving addict. :) I joined Gruyere at the beginning of the year, lasted a few weeks as the urge to try Tabac was just too strong. Tried it loved it! If it wasn't for Gruyere I wouldn't have felt compelled to try it. I like it so much I've since bought five tallow pucks. :)

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
@huck1680 , you've never heard anything so stupid in your entire life? How is my participation in a monthly G.R.U.M.E. or G.R.U.Y.E.R.E. perfidious?

I enjoy participating in both and reading my comrades comments in the restraints is enjoyable. In the future you may just want to blow on by the G.R.U.M.E. threads without your negative input. I'll return the favor and stay out your prolific acquisition threads/posts.

@huck1680 , you've never heard anything so stupid in your entire life? How is my participation in a monthly G.R.U.M.E. or G.R.U.Y.E.R.E. perfidious?

I enjoy participating in both and reading my comrades comments in the restraints is enjoyable. In the future you may just want to blow on by the G.R.U.M.E. threads without your negative input. I'll return the favor and stay out your prolific acquisition threads/***
Whatever works for you.

Guys
I keep running in to this "Grume" thing. I don't get it...restraint until months end? For what? Seriously, I have never heard of anything so damn stupid in my life. To not go after something you might want for what? To appear steadfast in the resolve to not get what you want?
I understand...RAD will bite you from time to time. But grume? Really? I have made some bad decisions before but they've always been mine. I never had to go online to declare my perfidies before anyone else and I will not change that. So in front of all who pledge Grume, I say...not me. I will continue to do as I please without worrying about who thinks what about what I do in any sort of negative context. If that makes any sense at all...excellent!
GRUME BE DAMNED! HooWah! Sense of humour accepted...ONLY...again HooWah!
[edited]

Never mind. Nothing to see here, move along, please...

Last edited:
I understood GRUME meant we only use one each blade brand, razor, brush, soap or cream, during a given month. Being a minimalist, it is easy for me. My late dad used his razor, Gillette Blue blades, and cream every day till he had to quit DE shaving due to health downturn(s).

Seriously, I have never heard of anything so damn stupid in my life.

Who (except the OP) gives a hoot whether one wants to do this GRUME thing or whether one does NOT want to do this GRUME thing?
To each his own…

It’s up to every member, and those who find it interesting may want to chirp in.
And those who don’t just ought to ignore the thread.

For me, I can’t even be bothered to think about whether I like or dislike the idea of GRUME, let alone post an opinion on the matter.

I’d rather go and grab a tall cool one… 🍺
Is anybody with me?

1691844189093.jpeg

courtesy typisch-bayerisch.de

Nuff said…

B.

Last edited:
I can see a certain irony in the GRUME thing, seeing that it is hosted on a forum of shaving... um.. enthusiasts, I guess, is the best word for us.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the idea of restraint and not over-purchasing. But it seems to me that if one is really concerned about buying too much shaving product, perhaps a better idea might be to stay away from shaving forums? What is the old saying? Out of sight, out of mind, was it?

In other words, I have nothing against the idea of GRUME, nor any problem at all about their existence and that people are participating in them; it just... how do I put this... seems kind of like having an AA meeting at a bar. 🤪

In other words, I have nothing against the idea of GRUME, nor any problem at all about their existence and that people are participating in them; it just... how do I put this... seems kind of like having an AA meeting at a bar. 🤪
Lol, I like your analogy! That is one of the subtleties of GRUME 😉. We support each other in our common goal of not purchasing shaving gear by posting pictures of the gear we have, that may actually tempt some participants into buying more gear. Lol, its happened to me!

I think I have finally have more successful GRUMEs under my belt than failed ones! 😁.

GRUME has been helpful to me in planning purchases as opposed to whimsical purchases.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I did a year-long restraint three or four years ago. It cut down on my shaving acquisitions. In the years since I've purchased very little. I just shifted focus with my spending on buying clothes. I then lost 40 pounds and started exercising. I now have a closet full of clothes that don't fit, lol. At least shave stubble is consistent. There is only so long that I could sing the praises of the virtues of Fatips before even I got bored, especially watching my friends try cool stuff. Whether or not I'm buying shaving items, I enjoy shaving to the point of obsession. It says so right on my avatar and signature line, BOSC. :letterk1: I've met some cool people here. I thoroughly enjoyed the op's post, oh, and go GRUME! :cuppa:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Having never participated in any GRUME, I'll say this anyway!

There are specific exceptions where members of a GRUME group can still procure special items.
In view of that, GRUME to me seems more like a Temperance Club than an AA meeting.
If one is to practice moderation in the consumption of alcohol, a group get together at a pub where peer pressure helps prevent excesses doesn't seem unreasonable.
Indeed, if one were an alcoholic for a month, then staying away from bars in that month would be helpful.
If one is a moderate drinker, there's no reason not to visit a bar.

Having commented in this thread earlier and following it since, it feels to me like there are misconceptions on what GRUME is and why someone would participate. It you are interested and have 2-3 minutes, please click here for GRUME do's and don'ts. I'll highlight a few below.
Have what you need and use what you have.
That is our definition of "Restraint". The idea is to use, learn about and enjoy what you have, restraining yourself from making frivolous purchases.
I am currently in my second consecutive GRUME and I have discovered that using, learning and enjoying what I have is the most important part of the experience. It is as simple as me being grateful for what I already own.
If you were in the July GRUME, 8/1 is your restock date for any needed product
Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.
Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground.
During the season, Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the-no buying rules. Treewhaling on anything Sue Moore-related is encouraged.
As @luvmysuper stated, the above posts are examples of when participants are allowed to purchase items.
If you fail out of the GRUME, please tell the group, take your (friendly) lumps and continue to play along at home. There will be Roll Calls during the restraint, whenever there is a failure; a perfect GRUME would be one in which there are no Roll Calls! Check-ins, especially with SOTD info and pics, are encouraged and mutual support is appreciated. :)

All are welcome!
While having gratitude for things I already own is a big reason why I will continue to participate in GRUME, it is the community and friendly interactions that seals the deal.

I would encourage anyone to sign up for the September GRUME and give it a try. You've got nothing to lose and in the end you might find, as I have, a group of really nice folks that you enjoy interacting with. Thanks for reading!

Top Bottom