What's new

So GRUME is What Exactly...?

I haven't purchased any software in years.

I like the idea of going easy, and I like that there are certain exceptions, but once a long time ago I asked about a situation that I thought should be allowed, but my idea was shot down.

This was my idea, which I still think is brilliant, and, if anything, more in the spirit of a GRUME than what is actually being done: I asked if one would be allowed to buy a razor under the following conditions: 1) that you financed the razor purchase by selling razors you already had, 2) that the cost of the razor was less than or equal to the amount you got my selling your razor(s), and 3) that after the transaction you ended up with no more gear than you had before. In fact, my idea was, generally speaking, to sell MORE than one razor and buy only one, and at a price less than you made with the sales, so that, at the end, you actually had MORE money AND LESS GEAR than you had before the transactions.

I was told that this would not be acceptable. I don't get it. But it drove me away from that particular GRUME and I never went back.

I haven't purchased any software in years.

I like the idea of going easy, and I like that there are certain exceptions, but once a long time ago I asked about a situation that I thought should be allowed, but my idea was shot down.

This was my idea, which I still think is brilliant, and, if anything, more in the spirit of a GRUME than what is actually being done: I asked if one would be allowed to buy a razor under the following conditions: 1) that you financed the razor purchase by selling razors you already had, 2) that the cost of the razor was less than or equal to the amount you got my selling your razor(s), and 3) that after the transaction you ended up with no more gear than you had before. In fact, my idea was, generally speaking, to sell MORE than one razor and buy only one, and at a price less than you made with the sales, so that, at the end, you actually had MORE money AND LESS GEAR than you had before the transactions.

I was told that this would not be acceptable. I don't get it. But it drove me away from that particular GRUME and I never went back.
I like your idea...it's like what my wife tells me, if you want to buy more stuff then get rid of some of your present stuff. You can renew without winding up choked with lots of stuff.

As novel as your idea may seem @kingfisher , I agree with the original intent of GRUME for its denial as you are basically circumventing the GRUME imposed sanctions with a creative accounting scheme to work the system.

The way I interpret GRUME is to quell the obsessive purchasing behavior and your scheme fuels it under the guise of economic inclusion, diversity and equality shielded by questionable financing :p

As novel as your idea may seem @kingfisher , I agree with the original intent of GRUME for its denial as you are basically circumventing the GRUME imposed sanctions with a creative accounting scheme to work the system.

The way I interpret GRUME is to quell the obsessive purchasing behavior and your scheme fuels it under the guise of economic inclusion, diversity and equality :D
Ok, except that I was using it as a way to DECREASE my den.

@kingfisher I can totally understand why your situation would be frustrating. I had a situation this month which initially irked me, but in the end it worked out OK for me.

Trying to tell a condensed version, I purchased only a styptic pencil for $2.72 on 5 August due to my wife and I shopping in an area we seldom get to that was near Atlanta Barber & Beauty Supply. This is a best price and also would stop me from being tempted to purchase more items for free shipping had I placed on online order in the restock window. In my eyes buying on this day saved me money and replaced a styptic pencil that had broken to pieces.

It was deemed to be a grey area and my call whether I was still in or out; in the end GRUME is self reporting. I thought about it and didn't want to be in a grey area so I declared myself out.

However, out doesn't mean I was banished to the end of the earth. It meant that I still participate in the GRUME, still post my SotDs and images, still interact with the members and most importantly I now strive for 30/31. I'm glad I made that decision and in the end if all I spend over July/August is $2.72 on shaving stuff I consider that a win.

So, Randall, I'd ask you to come back and give GRUME another shot. I for one would be happy to see you there!

Ok, except that I was using it as a way to DECREASE my den.
Hi,

Yep. I think the concept is to sell off overstock and then not buy anything. Truly decrease your den.

The GRUME is a restraint for only one month. So, join this month and sell, then skip next month and buy after you took some extra time to think about just what to buy. And you get to the same place in the end. :)

The idea of the GRUME was to dip one's toe into the concept of laying off buying. After that we used to have a Quarterly, so one could go for three straight months. Those haven't been around for a while now. I suppose the idea was to just re-up in the Monthlies and so accomplish the same thing.

And the Year-long exists for those who decide to lay off buying for a longer time period. I think for a full year about what I want to go after, if anything, and then have my two weeks to buy before sitting and thinking for another year. It works out well for me.

Stan

The way I interpret GRUME is to quell the obsessive purchasing behavior and your scheme fuels it under the guise of economic inclusion, diversity and equality shielded by questionable financing :p
Ok circumventing GRUME "imposed" sanctions. I still like Kingfishers idea better. Now before you all start jumping on my interpretations, let me say this. I understand addictions...I really do. If Grume is an addiction counselling service or just a place to go to when you are having a hard time backing off purchasing that's fine. I managed to quit smoking, my drinking is now down to the point where I like non-alcoholic beer and MY purchasing addiction (RAD) has been completely re-imagined through my own efforts. Not trying to pat myself on the back but I did it in all cases. It wasn't easy but I managed.😐
At one point I had over 250 razors...was it a collection or was I just purchasing anything I could? Kinda like the guy who bought $500 worth of soaps over 2 months. What for? I had some pretty interesting stuff. Gillette executves, Tulip handled DE's from 1917, RotBarts, Apollos, Leresche, ABC sets, Aristocrats both British and American etc. What was I doing? Sitting in my "den" mumbling "my precious"? I showed friends and they literally glazed over when I was telling them about these razors.😵‍💫 So I came to the conclusion I didn't need this "collection". It took me a few years but now I'm down to 8 soon to be 9 razors, 6 brushes and a few soaps hard and cream. I've had an interesting time and came out on a good side where I am now pretty much in control of what I'm doing. I do tend to miss doing reviews and critiques on razors but there's plenty of folks out there doing that.
But if there's something you've been eyeballing for a while and it comes up on sale or is actually available I see no reason for anyone to withhold from getting it. Just think about it. Do you need it or do you just want it? For example, when I saw the Lambda Athena...I knew I HAD to have it. And I did.
So now what I would say is good luck to all of you and I wish you the best.

A common interest doesn't translate into a common bond. The most consistent observation I have of specific interest forums of any kind is that, an interest in the general subject aside, they are composed of the same cross-section of people you encounter in every other theater of life. There are people who are interesting, boring, just plain stupid, argumentative/contrarian, pedantic (not me, of course), as well as those who are self-aggrandizing egomaniacs, low effort complainers, those drawn to ritualistic behaviors and those defined by other quirks or character flaws (or qualities). Also, online communities have low barriers for entry and therefore attract the oversocialized looking for a captive audience that may otherwise avoid them in person where such engagement is far more voluntary. (Don't take my word for it - check out one of your isolated WFH colleagues in a Teams "status" meetings this week at work.)

The point there is to keep your expectations reasonable and flexible. The tone for this forum is embodied in the repetitive and the mechanical as you can see in the never-changing topics and threads that have been going for years. I don't mean that pejoratively; the culture of this place is not dictated; it's chosen by those who wish to participate within a reasonable set of expectations. Water seeks its own level. You engage where it interests you and don't where it doesn't.

As for the topic at hand, I have enough concerns about the stuff that I have already bought; I just don't see any need to devote any energy to mulling over what I don't buy.

Ok circumventing GRUME "imposed" sanctions. I still like Kingfishers idea better. Now before you all start jumping on my interpretations, let me say this. I understand addictions...I really do. If Grume is an addiction counselling service or just a place to go to when you are having a hard time backing off purchasing that's fine. I managed to quit smoking, my drinking is now down to the point where I like non-alcoholic beer and MY purchasing addiction (RAD) has been completely re-imagined through my own efforts. Not trying to pat myself on the back but I did it in all cases. It wasn't easy but I managed.😐
At one point I had over 250 razors...was it a collection or was I just purchasing anything I could? Kinda like the guy who bought $500 worth of soaps over 2 months. What for? I had some pretty interesting stuff. Gillette executves, Tulip handled DE's from 1917, RotBarts, Apollos, Leresche, ABC sets, Aristocrats both British and American etc. What was I doing? Sitting in my "den" mumbling "my precious"? I showed friends and they literally glazed over when I was telling them about these razors.😵‍💫 So I came to the conclusion I didn't need this "collection". It took me a few years but now I'm down to 8 soon to be 9 razors, 6 brushes and a few soaps hard and cream. I've had an interesting time and came out on a good side where I am now pretty much in control of what I'm doing. I do tend to miss doing reviews and critiques on razors but there's plenty of folks out there doing that.
But if there's something you've been eyeballing for a while and it comes up on sale or is actually available I see no reason for anyone to withhold from getting it. Just think about it. Do you need it or do you just want it? For example, when I saw the Lambda Athena...I knew I HAD to have it. And I did.
So now what I would say is good luck to all of you and I wish you the best.
Hey Huck, thanks for sharing your journey! I found myself in GRUME because in my first 6 months of wet shaving I had acquired over 40 razors, years worth of soaps and decades worth of blades, lol. I just had way too much stuff to properly evaluate and knowing that I am not the most motivated ( read lazy ) re-seller, I had to pump the brakes! lol.

I am also in the year long sabbatical this year and have been keeping a spreadsheet to see what I actually use, and what I can part with for next year!

Really, it's simple:
  1. If you want to engage in unfettered acquisition of shave gear, don't join GRUME
  2. If you want to slow your roll and have some group-based accountability for that (very personal) decision, join GRUME
All are welcome, including those who can't even make it through the first day of Restraint. There's no shaming, just support for those who want it.

As the old saying goes, "If you don't have something nice to say, keep your filthy pie-hole shut"...or something like that.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
As someone that is downsizing for an imminent nomadic lifestyle, I should go in the grume. But I can’t. You never know when something is gonna pop up for sale that’s on my short list. But I respect those that are in it. I should go in it. Just can’t. 😎

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have tried GRUME, succeeded a couple fell out of a couple. I thought of trying the GRUYERE too, but the idea of having to have everything I would need for the year and not being able to try something new just didn't seem to be for me. I have been trying to curb my hoarding for a while though I admit many here would see my humble collection as little more than a starter kit. It did help that I have been lucky enough to find products that work for me and realise that I don't need to try everything just to make sure I don't miss out on anything.
I got to a stage where I had choice paralysis, there were just so many options that I spent way too much time thinking about what I was going to shave with before realising that there were certain setups that I kept returning to time after time and certain options I avoided using.
The 3017 thread put a dent in my soaps and eventually I found myself limiting my soap acquisitions I gave away some razors and have started using my blade stash trying to get to the best blades, the ones I keep using. I still have work to do on my brushes, but even there I have found a favourite option so my future acquisitions will be limited.
I realised I had got to a stage where I could limit my acquisitions myself and didn't need Shavers Anonymous although I am sure there are many who find the camaraderie in the group abstenances helps with the overall goal of not acquiring more stuff and to each their own. I for one applaud anyone who can apply some rationality to some of their more irrational behaviours no matter how they do it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The only shaving related item I bought in August was some Stirling Sheep soap. That was unusual for me. I do have a new razor showing up sometime in the next couple months or sooner but I ordered and paid for it in July. Some of my friends and I counted up the razors I own but have not yet used.... together, we came up with 11. <eg> (though I did count all 4 of the Progress/Mergress models individually). I really only have two razors on a wish list: the Lambda Ares and the Wolfman WR4 but my shaving slush fund is wishful thinking at the moment so they'll have to wait. Maybe by the time I get them, I will have tried all 11 of my untested razors. ;)

I jumped in with both feet. I have at least as many razors, as I have weeks shaving.

It all fits in my half of the medicine cabinet and a small drawer. That pretty much limits what I have room for.

I don’t see how I could do Grume. If I run out of toner, or cotton balls or break my alum block… I have to replace it. I don’t have room to stock up on shaving products.

Where do you guys put all this stuff?

Where do you guys put all this stuff?

I have my own bathroom. Plus a dresser drawer. Plus this awesome vintage shave den I got at last years auction. GRUME ain't for me.

20240219_173652.jpg

Top Bottom