What's new

So GRUME is What Exactly...?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Oh my goodness - my eyes have been opened! People are not all the same!!!!!

Let me catch my breath for a moment.

Thank the heavens we're on B&B where everyone's opinions are respected and stated as opinions and not decrees from on high. Whew! That was a close one!

As a newish B&B member and a participant in my second GRUME, I am a bit hesitant to wade in on this thread as it appears to be dividing opinions. For the most part, I also took @huck1680's post to be an attempt at humor and/or sarcasm. Both humor and sarcasm can be tricky in an online environment. I'm not saying you've got to use them, but emoji's do help to contextualize intent.
Seriously, I have never heard of anything so damn stupid in my life.
This one comment to me that went beyond humor and sarcasm, and it was at the beginning of the post. It could be taken as being mean spirited.
And Huck wasn’t calling anyone stupid. Just the concept.
I mostly agree with you, Brad. I'm not sure all 36 participants in the current GRUME feel the same. For example, pick out any religion in the world and call the concept of it stupid. Not equating GRUME to a religion, but I think you can understand what I'm saying.

The first word in the GRUME acronym is Gentlemanly, the second word Restraint. I started participating in GRUME for the Restraint, but find myself getting more out of the Gentlemanly discourse and community as noted by @Multum in parvo.
Nice company there, you get to know your stuff better, good natured horseplay, excellent pics…
In a couple of weeks, @FoolishMortal will open the thread for the September GRUME. Come on over and give it a try @huck1680. I can only speak for myself, but I would welcome you to this little slice of B&B!

As a newish B&B member and a participant in my second GRUME, I am a bit hesitant to wade in on this thread as it appears to be dividing opinions. For the most part, I also took @huck1680's post to be an attempt at humor and/or sarcasm. Both humor and sarcasm can be tricky in an online environment. I'm not saying you've got to use them, but emoji's do help to contextualize intent.

This one comment to me that went beyond humor and sarcasm, and it was at the beginning of the post. It could be taken as being mean spirited.

I mostly agree with you, Brad. I'm not sure all 36 participants in the current GRUME feel the same. For example, pick out any religion in the world and call the concept of it stupid. Not equating GRUME to a religion, but I think you can understand what I'm saying.

The first word in the GRUME acronym is Gentlemanly, the second word Restraint. I started participating in GRUME for the Restraint, but find myself getting more out of the Gentlemanly discourse and community as noted by @Multum in parvo.

In a couple of weeks, @FoolishMortal will open the thread for the September GRUME. Come on over and give it a try @huck1680. I can only speak for myself, but I would welcome you to this little slice of B&B!
Well...that was fun. Perhaps I should've said silly and not stupid. Because now that I think about it "stupid" may be a little mean-spirited. But I am glad to see the sarcasm was appreciated. And thanx for the invite however, I will respectfully decline.

Hi,

If you think Restraining your purchasing for a month is Silly....wait until you find out the rest:

There is a Restraint which runs for an entire year.

And another one running four years, between Leap Days.

And, another one running for an entire decade.

And, I'm in all of them because I have plenty of what I need for the chore of shaving daily. Yes. Chore. I shave because if I do not, then I die. Firefighting SCBA masks don't seal on facial hair.

I am in restraints since 2013 (the fourth quarterly. We don't seem to have quarterly ones any longer) because I wound up following too many bunnies down rabbit holes and so too much stuff. I'm still working my way through it all. One issue with this place is being clued into a whole lot of things and then wanting to try such for yourself. It is a double edged sword.

Perhaps, one day, you'll look around and see too much stuff as well. And, you already know where to go to hang with friends in the same boat. If you never decide you have gone overboard, then have fun and ignore our restraint threads.

Stan

I don't know, in the end all the razors shave, the soaps lather up and the brushes all brush. And I have to do it daily! So the "shaving" aspect is accomplished (and enjoyed) by me every day.
And I like to "buy and try" new stuff, so for me the buying and shaving go hand in hand.
Most hobbies cost money as you progress so I don't see this one as any different.
I'm not saying that restraint shouldn't exist with the hobby but @huck1680 makes some valid points with his
opinion. And honestly, he's completely entitled to it without any push back!
That's just my personal opinion!
I also love to buy and try new stuff, but when you spend 500 dollars on soap in two months, I think it’s time to practice some restraint, especially if you haven’t even tried all the stuff you already own. And addictions are better battled with the support of a group
It's quite simple for me: If I read something that I don't like or agree with, I move on!
Exactly what a person should do if he doesn’t agree with the concept of GRUME

Well...that was fun. Perhaps I should've said silly and not stupid. Because now that I think about it "stupid" may be a little mean-spirited. But I am glad to see the sarcasm was appreciated. And thanx for the invite however, I will respectfully decline.
Having appreciated your posts on many other topics, I know you are a not characterized by mean-spiritedness. Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend.

I will be anxiously looking for the the September GRUME kick-off, and thanks to this thread, I am now aware of this helpful resource.

Regarding the original post, I don't think I have ever experienced or detected ill will with any BnB discussions as this is arguably one of the most civil forums existing on the public internet. That is my mindset when reading threads here, so I immediately sensed the humor attempt of the OP, albeit it may be too subtle for some readers to ascertain depending on their mindset in the moment. That is the risk or weakness of text based communications so thank goodness for emoji's :p

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
This thread was an interesting read. As one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, true to point; another man’s attempt at humor can be easily perceived as toxic sarcasm.

It is an interesting note of the obvious lack of emoticon’s in posts and this thread; of which I am a huge, believer, supporter and active follower of. Don’t believe me? Look up my posts and see the over inundated flooding of smiley faces in my posts. :)

They really do seem to be quite helpful for the successful identification purposes of the type of slight internet sarcasm that is slow to pick up on if it doesn’t actually jump up off the page and slap you right across the face as intentional humor.

The way I see it, the OP

1. ‘could have articulated his words and humorous intentions mo’ betta’ which would have been the obvious slap across the face humor, but as we all know, there’s always someone in the crowd you are speaking to, that will see ‘an opportunity’. To react otherwise?

Indeed, emoji’s aren’t meant to get away with being a critical, toxic, insulter, but I definitely find they are very helpful when I get stuck somewhere between those two sacks of apples…. :)

I will be anxiously looking for the the September GRUME kick-off, and thanks to this thread, I am now aware of this helpful resource.

Regarding the original post, I don't think I have ever experienced or detected ill will with any BnB discussions as this is arguably one of the most civil forums existing on the public internet. That is my mindset when reading threads here, so I immediately sensed the humor attempt of the OP, albeit it may be too subtle for some readers to ascertain depending on their mindset in the moment. That is the risk or weakness of text based communications so thank goodness for emoji's :p
If you haven’t purchased anything this month you can still enter the August thread until the 15th :thumbsup:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Guys
I keep running in to this "Grume" thing. I don't get it...restraint until months end? For what? Seriously, I have never heard of anything so damn stupid in my life. To not go after something you might want for what? To appear steadfast in the resolve to not get what you want?
I understand...RAD will bite you from time to time. But grume? Really? I have made some bad decisions before but they've always been mine. I never had to go online to declare my perfidies before anyone else and I will not change that. So in front of all who pledge Grume, I say...not me. I will continue to do as I please without worrying about who thinks what about what I do in any sort of negative context. If that makes any sense at all...excellent!
GRUME BE DAMNED! HooWah! Sense of humour accepted...ONLY...again HooWah!

1691775307203.png

Having appreciated your posts on many other topics, I know you are a not characterized by mean-spiritedness. Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend.
Thank you for a truly appreciated reply. I have a tendency (according to my wife) to let fly and let the chips/comments fall where they may. My internal modulator/governor may be in need ion serving.

Well, I own quite a few firearms, but not over 200 of them. It’s been a few years, but the last time I counted, I had 209 bottles of vintage & modern aftershaves. :)
Truly? That's amazing. Where do you keep them all? Have not some of them gone...south?

Top Bottom