What's new

Simpson Chubby 2 Super vs Simpson Chubby 3 in Best

Ch2 and Ch3 are too big, not practical. Ch1 is functional and pleasant.

The Emperors are great brushes. If I could only have one the Emp1 is more than good enough.

At this point if I had to get a new badger brush it would be a Simpson, any one, in Best.

I would be open to trying a boar.

Most likely my next brush(es) will be synthetic, for ethical, cost, and performance considerations.

The CH1 and Duke
Variation on Pedigree’s original question:

I had a Duke 2 Best in rotation for a couple of years but sold it. For me, it was “unstimulating”. I prefer stiffer brushes like M&F blonde badger.

So, is a Chubby 1 in Best different enough from my old Duke Best so that it would be worthwhile to try?

Thanks.
The CH1 and the Duke 2 are very different brushes, so I think you will be OK trying out the CH1. The knot size of the CH1 is supposedly the same as the Duke 3, but even those brushes seem very different given how the knot is set.

Last edited:
Variation on Pedigree’s original question:

I had a Duke 2 Best in rotation for a couple of years but sold it. For me, it was “unstimulating”. I prefer stiffer brushes like M&F blonde badger.

So, is a Chubby 1 in Best different enough from my old Duke Best so that it would be worthwhile to try?

Thanks.
Go CH1 Super, you won’t regret it. I’ve bought and sold 2 CH1 best but I’d enter my house during a fire to rescue my CH1 Super

I have five brushes I'm quite happy with and more than enough for a proper rotation but I've gotten a bug up my butt over getting a Simpsons CH1 in Super. I don't think it brings anything to the table for me but I think I want one. I contacted Simpsons directly and they offered to make one for me in the CH1 size with a butterscotch handle. Damn them!

I have five brushes I'm quite happy with and more than enough for a proper rotation but I've gotten a bug up my butt over getting a Simpsons CH1 in Super. I don't think it brings anything to the table for me but I think I want one. I contacted Simpsons directly and they offered to make one for me in the CH1 size with a butterscotch handle. Damn them!
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!! YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!

BTW, I have a Chubby 3 in Best, a Chubby 2 in Best, a Chubby 2 in Super, a Chubby 2 Synth, a T3 Synth, and a Duke 3 in Best.

marty

I liked the price of chubby 2
I don't know, $237 seems spendy to me. But the CH2 looks too big for me anyway. I can get a regular CH1 stateside for a little over $152. Not sure that the extra coin for an artificially colored butterscotch handle is worth it. Heck, I don't know that any of them are worth it. I've already got five really good brushes and have absolutely no need for another.

Still...

Another question: Some refer to the Classic 1 as Chubby 0 and and the Classic 2 as Chubby 1.5. Is that accurate, or is a Chubby unique apart from size?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Another question: Some refer to the Classic 1 as Chubby 0 and and the Classic 2 as Chubby 1.5. Is that accurate, or is a Chubby unique apart from size?
It is true that some people refer to them in that way. A CL2 has a 23mm knot and yet a CH1 is more expensive with a 22mm knot. With similarly shaped handles, Simpson brushes are priced mainly according to the weight of hair used. My experience tells me, and the prices also suggest, that the Chubby is therefore denser. I own both and I could not tell a Classic from a Chubby by face feel alone since they feel so similar, but, there is only one Chubby, and that is the Simpson Chubby. It may be psychological, it may be imagination, but that matters not, there is nothing like the feeling of using the real thing, a Simpson Chubby 👍

Last edited:
It is true that some people refer to them in that way. A CL2 has a 23mm knot and yet a CH1 is more expensive with a 22mm knot. With similarly shaped handles, Simpson brushes are priced mainly according to the weight of hair used. My experience tells me, and the prices also suggest, that the Chubby is therefore denser. I own both and I could not tell a Classic from a Chubby by face feel alone since they feel so similar, but, there is only one Chubby, and that is the Simpson Chubby. It may be psychological, it may be imagination, but that matters not, there is nothing like the feeling of using the real thing, a Simpson Chubby 👍
I get it. Thanks.

Sir, this is what I'd do in your shoes: send an e-mail to Mark and ask him to pick a Chubby 2 Best up for you. Ask for the finest selection of Best grade of hair they have available, with whiter tips (almost Super, but still the nice feel of the Best).

You can mention that this recommendation was given to you by Marco of B&B.

P.S. I own both the Chubby 2 Best and Super, Best is my favourite choice for this larger brush.
OK, I'll bite, who's Mark?

Top Bottom