What's new

Vintage Simpson S10, restoration tips?

Salutations all,

I found myself in a very fortunate circumstance while perusing for a new coffee table and stumbled upon this lovely Simpson S10 Super Badger with a wonderful start to butterscotchification on the handle. While I do not believe the knot is salvageable, it was shedding profusely from just handling it, I would love to start a restoration project on this old lad. Is there any experienced individuals who have successfully removed the old knot from a vintage Simpson? Any recommendations on a replacement knot? I would surely love to be able to fit it with a new Simpson know but am uncertain if they will accommodate such a request.

I have attached a photo and here is an included video of said brush.

Attachments

• 20240311_133502.jpg
    20240311_133502.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Salutations all,

I found myself in a very fortunate circumstance while perusing for a new coffee table and stumbled upon this lovely Simpson S10 Super Badger with a wonderful start to butterscotchification on the handle. While I do not believe the knot is salvageable, it was shedding profusely from just handling it, I would love to start a restoration project on this old lad. Is there any experienced individuals who have successfully removed the old knot from a vintage Simpson? Any recommendations on a replacement knot? I would surely love to be able to fit it with a new Simpson know but am uncertain if they will accommodate such a request.

Mark is a member @A.E. Simpson 1919 and vendor here. It wouldn’t hurt to approach him directly or via their contact form https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/contact/

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
If you can't get Mark at Simpsons to have it done, I'd ask @Rudy Vey . I'd guess he's reknotted more Simpsons than just about anyone else. And he has access to good knots.

Should have asked if you're in the US. If it were me, I'd avoid the risk of a cross ocean roundtrip.

If you can't get Mark at Simpsons to have it done, I'd ask @Rudy Vey . I'd guess he's reknotted more Simpsons than just about anyone else. And he has access to good knots.

Should have asked if you're in the US. If it were me, I'd avoid the risk of a cross ocean roundtrip.
I am stateside, but I'm okay risking an iceberg if it means a true Simpson knot in this ol boy. Do you think this is something Simpson would do?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I believe that Simpsons do restorations on their old brushes. I am not 100% sure but sending an email couldn’t hurt. Nice find by the way.

If you are considering replacing the knot yourself, lots of good information here:

You can start with the "stickies" at the top of the forum.

Salutations all,

Beautiful brush, sir! Enjoy!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Nice find!
I'd try recovering the knot with a good shampoo + conditioner first.
Agreed, my only vintage Simpson brush, from around 1930, has a knot which is very different to any modern Simpson knot I have tried. I would not replace the knot unless absolutely necessary.

Top Bottom