What's new

Simpson Chubby 2 Super vs Simpson Chubby 3 in Best

I mean, bear in mind that a CH3 in Manchurian is way more expensive than any of the options discussed so far. Going by the original options of CH3 Best or CH2 Super, OP's budget is probably about $165 bucks, given the prices on Alrossa. A CH3 in Manchurian is like $470 once you convert it to USD.

That's my budget. I can get either one at the same price.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That's my budget. I can get either one at the same price.
There is no right and wrong answer. If you have no idea if you prefer luxury soft tips or a bit of scrub then it is just a coin toss. Some, like me prefer Best and would not touch a Super grade brush, others prefer Super. Just make a decision and pick one, any one, they are both great and neither will disappoint. You are buying a brush not choosing a house 👍

Sir, this is what I'd do in your shoes: send an e-mail to Mark and ask him to pick a Chubby 2 Best up for you. Ask for the finest selection of Best grade of hair they have available, with whiter tips (almost Super, but still the nice feel of the Best).

You can mention that this recommendation was given to you by Marco of B&B.

P.S. I own both the Chubby 2 Best and Super, Best is my favourite choice for this larger brush.

This is what I just did. I ordered the CH2 in best, direct from Simpsons and sent Mark an email quoting this, letting him know of your recommendation. Thank you!

Last edited:
I tried the Emperor 3 in super for the first time today and must say that I prefer the Simpsons in best. The Super though soft, didn't have as much of the scrubbiness or backbone that I was expecting and was a little somewhat floppy. Glad I ordered my CH2 in best.

I tried the Emperor 3 in super for the first time today and must say that I prefer the Simpsons in best. The Super though soft, didn't have as much of the scrubbiness or backbone that I was expecting and was a little somewhat floppy. Glad I ordered my CH2 in best.
For reference, I have 3 Simpson brushes in Best and an Emperor 3 in Super (that I haven't used yet).

If I may ask: Which models are your "3 Simpson brushes in Best"?

Commodore X3, Duke 2, and Case.

Thank you! These 3 Best Badgers all have a shorter loft than your Emperor 3 with more diameter and/or density on top. So I don't wonder, that you experience your E3 as more floppy. It is given the knot, no matter if Super or if it would be a Best.

But I wouldn't deduct from this that a Chubby 2 in Super is more floppy or has less backbone than the Chubby 2 Best has. Because it isn't.
We had it in this thread, Best has typically more scrub than Super and Super is finer, but also more densely packed to compensate that. We can discuss flow, because of this, but when it comes to backbone, the Chubby 2 Super lacks none compared to it's Best-brother.
A Chubby is designed for face-lathering, the Emperor for bowl-lathering - complete different beasts.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Can anyone tell me if Simpson Chubby 1 and 2 in Super are floppy?
In my opinion Simpson three band Super is a thin hair and is lower in backbone when compared to other Simpson grades. However, the Chubby 1 and 2 have a low loft and are so densely packed that they are not floppy at all in any hair grade, including Super. A Chubby knot in Super will be very soft and will bloom a lot when compared to other hair grades. A Best or Manchurian Chubby knot will have more backbone, more scrub, and will bloom less.

I have the CH2 in best, super and Manchurian. None are floppy. The super is the same as the best except that the super is softer and the best scrubbier. It's a soft scrub, though.

If you tend to mash the brush, go with Manchurian as that will fight back, but it will be scrubby. Very scrubby. Much more so than the best.

The best and super are very fine hair and there is no glue bump, so don't use a lot of pressure. But I wouldn't call either floppy.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have four Chubbies.
  • Ch2 in Best
  • CH3 in Best
  • Ch2 in Silvertip Badger (two band)
  • CH3 in Manchurian.
In general I like them all, but prefer the size of the CH3.

The two Best knots are considerably unlike one another. I prefer the knot in the CH2 Best to the knot in the CH3 Best.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Can anyone tell me if Simpson Chubby 1 and 2 in Super are floppy?
Absolutely not. I am yet to find any Simpson’s brush that is floppy (I’ve owned used >20), but certainly the Chubbies are on the opposite end of the spectrum. Dense, compact, and oh so flexible and gentle with a nice scrub

If you face lather, I don’t think you can beat a Chubby 1 or 2 in Super. Buy with confidence

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
2-2-22.CH3.Best.SS-NIL.Konsul.640JPG.JPG

To illustrated a point already made.

7-14-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.CH3-Manchurian.640.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Variation on Pedigree’s original question:

I had a Duke 2 Best in rotation for a couple of years but sold it. For me, it was “unstimulating”. I prefer stiffer brushes like M&F blonde badger.

So, is a Chubby 1 in Best different enough from my old Duke Best so that it would be worthwhile to try?

Thanks.

Top Bottom