What's new

Simpson Chubby 2 Super vs Simpson Chubby 3 in Best

If you could choose between these two brushes, which one would you choose, and why? I'm looking at getting one or the other. For reference, I have 3 Simpson brushes in Best and an Emperor 3 in Super (that I haven't used yet). Is the Chubby 3 too large? Would I be selling myself short by settling for the smaller Chubby 2? Is there much difference between the Best and Super knots?

The difference in best and super isn't as great as the difference between pure and best. Although some variation in Simpson's best grade is consistently spoken of here on the forums.

I'd get the 2 in best, myself, as the 3 is a bit big for my tastes... especially considering the considerable density of the chubby models. Maybe try your Emp3 to get a feel for Super before you decide?

Get both... you're going to get both eventually anyway.

The CH2 is still big and holds a ton of lather. I actually wouldn’t want a Chubby to hold more lather.

I just don’t think a bigger Chubby would give any real extra performance or benefit.

Plus the CH3 looks almost clunky/disproportionate to me if that makes sense.

Not a huge difference between Super and Best with Simpsons IMO. super will be softer and the knot will generally be more dense as the hairs are thinner. Both are excellent IMO.

The CH2 is a pretty big brush...if you're worried about the CH3 being too large, I'd probably just go for a CH2. I don't think you'd be selling yourself short at all...the CH2 is a classic brush (and the one traditionally favored by men of the SImpson family, IIRC).

I'd try out your Emperor to see what you think of Super before you choose your hair...IIRC, the main differences are that Super is softer and its shafts are a bit thinner, so the Super knot might be more dense, but honestly I don't have much experience with Simpson's Super, I'm so infatuated with their Best. Personally, I like a little scrub in my brushes, so I'd probably go with the CH2 in Best (and, indeed, a CH2 in Best is in my regular rotation), but if I were you I'd try out that Emperor and see how you like the Super before making your choice. I don't think you can go wrong either way, though...they'll be very similar brushes, and very good ones at that!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I owned the Chubby 2 and 3 in Super and sold them both as for me the Super grade lacks face feel and scrub and is simply too soft, it is my least favourite Simpson grade. Some say Super is 'luxurious' but for me it is dull and uninspiring; I would certainly try your Emperor before making a purchase. Size preference is again a very personal thing but for me the Chubby 2 was far too large and the Chubby 3 was an absurd, unusable, comedy brush, but plenty of people love them. Conversely, my Chubby 1 Manchurian is incredible. If you are in two minds then get the Chubby 3 as you will always be wondering about it; you can move it on if it is too big. Good luck 👍

linty1

My wallet cries.
I would agree and +1 with everything said above, and there -is- variation (although apparently its been "more consistsnt the past few months"), I have two brushes in best, one has no scritch/scrub while the other has noticible. In terms of size, the Chubby 2 is already quite big, its listed at 27mm, but I've seen ppl take calipers and measure and it gets closer to 29-30mm.

The Chubby 2 is a very large brush, as others have said. It is extremely densely packed, which also makes it fill substantial. I have one in Super. I personally think the Chubby brushes are great in Super—lots of backbone with soft tips. I also have a Chubby 1 in Super.

I would get CH2 in both Best and Super (I actually own both) instead of "upgrading" to the CH3, or maybe a CH2 in Best or a CH1 in Super

Most people say the CH3 handle's girth is not comfortable and the higher loft makes the experience less interesting (too much splay?)

I personally disagree with the Gents above saying that Best and Super are quite close. In my sample of approximately 15 Simpsons' brushes owned in 7 years, I see the validity of keeping both in the arsenal as they give quite different experiences. I am actually digging the Super quite a lot lately - it is the typical true Silvertip grade, it is thinner, softer, more flexible, blooms bigger and has absolutely zero scritchy. Those like me who may have a pimple on the skin every now and then can easily tell the difference

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I personally disagree with the Gents above saying that Best and Super are quite close.
I agree with you completely, for me Best and Super are very different. My favourite Simpson grades are Manchurian, Best, and then Pure. Super is not an option for me and I have read disturbing reports of new Simpson Super grade hairs exhibiting gel like qualities. Having tried a single gel tipped brush, I will never purchase another but many people seem to like them. I have not tried Simpson two band silvertip as the price is so close to Manchurian that I prefer to stick with what I know I will like. Simpson Best grade can be very variable but I think it is one of the best bargains in shaving. 👍

From my experience, some best knots come close to super and others are far from it. Just too much variability in the best knot grade. Super on the other hand has been consistently soft and pleasant.
Personally I would opt for the CH2 in super (which I have a use regularly), but I agree with the other posters about trying your super grade brush first and then decide.

with all due respect...
(you know what's coming after that, right?)
You're an idiot if you aren't USING your Emperor 3.
Now get in there and stop fidgeting around; get that puppy wet, dunk it on your puck, and lather it up!
Your FACE will thank you for HOURS thereafter.
You don't have to thank me, just throw money.
Cheers!

Simpsons best grade shows considerable variability ...

Of course there is variability and it happens across all grades as it's not plastic hair. But I think that the variability-factor is severely overblown with Simpson's 'Best' and of course we hear more reports about Best as it's surely the most sold grade. Sometimes I think that folks who get their first Simpson Best Badger and don't feel the scritch they feared for, think they won the batch-jackpot.

Regarding the current situation, Mark said some weeks ago:

Our Best has never been more consistent. We’ve been monitoring batches for several months & are pleased to say it’s exceptional.

Thought it fair to comment given your past experience.

--

... and can overlap their super if you get lucky.

The problem I have with this wording is that some folks might conclude, that - if they just get lucky enough - they get a 'Chubby Best' that's like a 'Chubby Super', which wont happen unless Simpson mounts a Super knot in a handle that's states 'Best Badger' by mistake.

Super is considerably softer and considerably thinner, the latter adding to the former. To compensate for that in order to deliver the backbone for which the Chubbys are famous, Simpson packs the Super-knots much more dense than their Best-knots.

Some may feel, that their Best is 'as soft' as their Super and I won't dispute that perception and the lower density of Best might add to that feeling.
However - in my experience - this can only be valid for the feeling of the hair, not for the feeling of the knot.

Is the Chubby 3 too large?

A Chubby 3 is just so extraordinarily absurd in a great way for a guy with average size and normal weight, such a wall of badger is pure fun and very, very special.

The Chubby 3 as an object is a giant. I find that side-by-side pictures can only give a remote idea and you have to know the brushes shown next to it to even get the notion.
Here's my Chubby line up to show all 3 sizes: #186

For those who don't have a Chubby or other brush to relate to, I placed my Chubby 3 in two directions next to a bowl of Tabac and centered on it's lid, probably that helps to imagine it's dimension: #194

In addition to all excellent advice already given by other, here's my thoughts about Simpson's different grades: #191

Would I be selling myself short by settling for the smaller Chubby 2?

No! As much as I love my Chubby 3 which I use frequently and though I would absolutely miss it, the Chubby 2 already is a statement in size and has a huge impact. It's a serious thing in your hands and on the skin, there surely won't be a feeling of 'Hmm, it's a bit small'. :wink2:

A Chubby 3 is just so extraordinarily absurd in a great way for a guy with average size and normal weight, such a wall of badger is pure fun and very, very special.

The Chubby 3 as an object is a giant. I find that side-by-side pictures can only give a remote idea and you have to know the brushes shown next to it to even get the notion.
Here's my Chubby line up to show all 3 sizes: #186

For those who don't have a Chubby or other brush to relate to, I placed my Chubby 3 in two directions next to a bowl of Tabac and centered on it's lid, probably that helps to imagine it's dimension: #194

In addition to all excellent advice already given by other, here's my thoughts about Simpson's different grades: #191

No! As much as I love my Chubby 3 which I use frequently and though I would absolutely miss it, the Chubby 2 already is a statement in size and has a huge impact. It's a serious thing in your hands and on the skin, there surely won't be a feeling of 'Hmm, it's a bit small'. :wink2:

For me the Chubby 1 is just fine and I also enjoy it’s ’little brother’ the classic 2!! :a29:

Why do you have so many brushes? I have one Simpson Chubby 3 in super badger and that's all I use.

You might want to get a second brush...a CH3 is going to take a couple of days to fully dry out, so if you use it every day it'll stay damp constantly, which isn't great for it.

Top Bottom