What's new

Simpson Chubby 2 Super vs Simpson Chubby 3 in Best

Well, I bought it in 2005 and have used it every day. I haven't had any problems yet. I dry it with a towel then shake it out many times before putting it in the brush older. Is that not good?

If I can get a super for the same price, would one or the other be the better value for the money or would they be about equal?
I think I prefer Best to Super (I love both from Simpsons), but would always buy Super over Best if it was the same price. Easier to sell down the road if needed as well.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If I can get a super for the same price, would one or the other be the better value for the money or would they be about equal?
On the Simpson site the price of the Super is much higher than the Best so if you can get them for the same price then the Super represents better value. But, for me personally, the Super would be terrible value as I would never use it. Firstly because I do not like Super and regard the Best as far superior, and secondly because the Chubby 2 is far too large for me. The best value brush is the one you use the most. You could probably resell the Super for more money as the original retail price is higher, but you would not sell it to me 👍

That's the answer I was looking for. So the super feels less scrubby and more floppy?

Now, take my opinion with a grain of salt, since it's been years since I've used a Simpson's Super (at least the normal 3-band kind), and I've never used a Chubby in super. But my understanding from the discussion on here is that the Chubbies in Super are denser than those in Best, due to the thinner hairs of the Super, so I'm not sure whether the Super would actually be more floppy...I'm not sure any Chubby would really be that floppy! The Super would definitely be softer, though.

But my understanding from the discussion on here is that the Chubbies in Super are denser than those in Best, due to the thinner hairs of the Super, so I'm not sure whether the Super would actually be more floppy...I'm not sure any Chubby would really be that floppy! The Super would definitely be softer, though.

All correct! 🌞

So the super feels less scrubby and more floppy?

Yes, less scrubby.
No, not more floppy.

Lots of fans of the Chubbies in Super around here—including me. Surprised they’re not chiming in. I’d go for Super myself—soft with lots of backbone. That said, nothing wrong with Simpson’s Best. I’ve got several brushes in that grade as well. Sometimes the Best can be quite soft. I’ve got a Duke 3 in Best that feels like Super to me.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have a Chubby 1 in Best, Super, and Manchurian, and a Chubby 2 in Best and in Super. If I had to give up one it'd be the Manchurian. I use the Chubby 1's a lot more frequently than the 2's, and I really like both Best and Super grades of hair. If I only had one Chubby, I'd be saving my money till I could buy the other one again. I don't want to decide between them. I want one of each. The Chubby 2 has never felt like a regular brush to me- it has always felt extravagant, a brush that I only use when I have plenty of time and I really feel like going over the top. So they each only get used probably 10 or 12 times a year. That said, I really want to have a Chubby 2 in both Best and in Super. If I were considering a Chubby 2, at the prices Alrossa is charging I'd suck it up and get one of each, if possible. Heck, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to own a Chubby 3, but I see the way the prices have been slashed and I'm tempted each night to buy one. Or both.

In my experience the Chubby 1 in Super is really very special. How about getting a Chubby 1 in Super and a Chubby 2 in Best?

No matter what you choose, enjoy your Chubby. They are special brushes.

I derive such exquisite pleasure by vicariously spending your money. I'm so good at it.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Sir, this is what I'd do in your shoes: send an e-mail to Mark and ask him to pick a Chubby 2 Best up for you. Ask for the finest selection of Best grade of hair they have available, with whiter tips (almost Super, but still the nice feel of the Best).

You can mention that this recommendation was given to you by Marco of B&B.

P.S. I own both the Chubby 2 Best and Super, Best is my favourite choice for this larger brush.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In my experience the Chubby 1 in Super is really very special. How about getting a Chubby 1 in Super and a Chubby 2 in Best?

No matter what you choose, enjoy your Chubby. They are special brushes.

Mr. Owen is the Master when it comes to Simpson brushes and I always share his point of view.

The Chubby 1 Super and Chubby 2 Best are the two Chubbies that will never leave my den.

Bravo @Owen Bawn, tu amico mio sei un vero intenditore. :thumbup1:

If I were you, I'd get CH3 Manchurian and a budget-friendly CH2 Synthetic. That way you get both sizes, with arguably the best of both worlds.

If I were you, I'd get CH3 Manchurian and a budget-friendly CH2 Synthetic. That way you get both sizes, with arguably the best of both worlds.

I mean, bear in mind that a CH3 in Manchurian is way more expensive than any of the options discussed so far. Going by the original options of CH3 Best or CH2 Super, OP's budget is probably about $165 bucks, given the prices on Alrossa. A CH3 in Manchurian is like $470 once you convert it to USD.

I mean, bear in mind that a CH3 in Manchurian is way more expensive than any of the options discussed so far. Going by the original options of CH3 Best or CH2 Super, OP's budget is probably about $165 bucks, given the prices on Alrossa. A CH3 in Manchurian is like $470 once you convert it to USD.
Which is why I said "If I were you", but since I am not the OP, it doesn't really matter...

Me, I use synthetic brushes only. To each his own...

Top Bottom