What's new

Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)?

Which category do you fall under?

• Total voters
I think this kid might be a good candidate for BOSC:

1642642864368.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
"This running up against the limits of language is ethics."

Well said.

I have no understand of the connection or disconnect here. How is running up against the limits of language in any way related to ethics? To me, that's just nonsense.

Not saying I'm right of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm in (better late to a party than never, I say!).

I think I crossed the threshold this year when I made a mad commitment to a multi-year journey of discovery, 'Around the World in 80 Blades'... onwards and upwards!

Don't let Big Nurse hear you saying it's a party arounds these parts. She has strange ideas about what we're supposed to think, say, and do.

Big Nurse Naked.640.png

If you're in big trouble, show her this.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have no understand of the connection or disconnect here. How is running up against the limits of language in any way related to ethics? To me, that's just nonsense.

I took it as when I dont know when to shut up, which I seldom know, and the whole reason I got locked in this place!

Big Nurse Naked.640.png

If you're in big trouble, show her this.

No one is suppose to know about that! Thus proving the point above. :)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Chan Eil Whiskers — the only thing I know about ethics is to watch your wallet when anyone professes virtue.

In this case, it was in response to some guy who decided everyone here was a Big Pockets person and everyone explores every variable of every item they own. Maybe, in his thought process, that was very true, but we’re too boring for him to confirm or further explain. I hope the rest of his days are spent with a large crowd of like-minded folks and that he has a long and healthy life to enjoy people like himself for the decades to follow.

@Alum Ladd — your mention that we all think of Ludwig Wittgenstein at that time of the evening keeps getting better every time I read it.

Not saying I'm right of course...

I am entirely open to the possibility that I may simply be too simple-minded to understand many things, but Wittgenstein has always struck me as having been deeply determined to be a brilliant philosopher but, lacking any particularly brilliant ideas, decided to simply spray fancy-sounding words at the page in a maddeningly oblique manner, in the hopes that people would assume he was a genius... and lo and behold, he was right!

In other words, yes, sure seems like nonsense to me, but of course we may be missing something. However, I am reminded (frequently) of a friend who worked as a technical writer, and her rule of thumb when assessing any text was this: Do you want me to understand what you are saying? If so, make it simple and clear and precise; if not, p*ss off...

... However, I am reminded (frequently) of a friend who worked as a technical writer, and her rule of thumb when assessing any text was this: Do you want me to understand what you are saying? If so, make it simple and clear and precise; if not, p*ss off...
Precisely! :cornut:

Thomas Brogan (that guy who doesn't display BOSC in his signature), take note. :wink2:

thombrogan

What does ASP stand for Thom?

It stands for “ATG Single P***” and it’s club started by @JoWolf

thombrogan

My assumption was bracketing the letter ‘P’ with and tags might not have something that consumed the. coders’ every waking moment. Puzzling

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I confess to having never heard of the man.

Brainy quotations from the mind of Ludwig Wittgenstein as presented by Big Nurse.

I am entirely open to the possibility that I may simply be too simple-minded to understand many things, but Wittgenstein has always struck me as having been deeply determined to be a brilliant philosopher but, lacking any particularly brilliant ideas, decided to simply spray fancy-sounding words at the page in a maddeningly oblique manner, in the hopes that people would assume he was a genius... and lo and behold, he was right!

In other words, yes, sure seems like nonsense to me, but of course we may be missing something. However, I am reminded (frequently) of a friend who worked as a technical writer, and her rule of thumb when assessing any text was this: Do you want me to understand what you are saying? If so, make it simple and clear and precise; if not, p*ss off...

I thought the point of technical writing was to make sure nobody would be able to understand it.

Some don't have to take the entrance exam, right, Cal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom