What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

Pretty much land locked around here. So we see hawks with snakes and rats and sometimes owls with kittens LOL but no fish. We have had eagles moving in the last few years. When the ducks come through so do the eagles. They are something to see. NOt sure what ti is about the white head, but it makes them more majestic than a turkey buzzard haha

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
My wife just told me to post:

"Fried Green Tomatoes and Where the Red Fern Grows." But are they Epic? I says? She's like, "shut up." (someone hasn't had their coffee yet... :eek2: This is were us men have to be careful and not say something stupid. Cuz then we get knives thrown at us and attempt to say;

I didn't call you a witch, I just said, "you are acting like a witch?" Most of us in here are old enough by now, to know this line of reasoning doesn't work? :)

Uhmm... yep. I think she just told me to unretire... or maybe it was go to hell? I dunno. ;)

Edit: This reminds me of another epic movie "Throw Wife, uhmm... I mean, Momma From The Train." :)

We often ate at the "Whistle Stop Cafe" when I attended GADNR departmental meetings since it was near a state park and one of the regional offices. Food was okay, BBQ just passable and not great and $1.50 a slice for a fried green tomato? You gotta be kidding.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
TV. Movies.

I just went outside with binocs and watched an osprey dive bomb the water. A miss, then another.

Then, PISH! and she comes up with a fish in her talons.

Crystal clear in the 7x35s, the bird chooses my exact compass bearing. Flew right at me.

Had to refocus and refocus. Went right over my head with that fish; flew up to the top of a pine tree to enjoy lunch.

Wasn't as good as the time a red-shoulder hawk flew a squirrel over - that was epic - but still a pretty good show.

Happy Erf Day!

AA
One of the projects at the new DNR offices on the GA coast was building Osprey Nesting Platforms. Set them up in the marsh but after a year or three still no nest.

I suggested we should have a flounder fling; everybody circle the pole and fling flounders until one or three land on top the platform.

No one liked my suggestion.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One of the projects at the new DNR offices on the GA coast was building Osprey Nesting Platforms. Set them up in the marsh but after a year or three still no nest.

I suggested we should have a flounder fling; everybody circle the pole and fling flounders until one or three land on top the platform.

No one liked my suggestion.

Ah. We have a local event called the Mullet Toss. Booze and foolishness is involved.

AA

Not sure what mullet toss is. I read it as mutton toss for some reason and was impressed at throwing sheep LOL
If you ever need to, though...

5FAC9C0E-32CE-4457-81EF-C49A05DC1DA8.jpeg

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Thank ya'll for the comedic relief. Sitting here doing the Texas hunter ed course so I can shoot ferals here in a few weeks. Man, it is slow! Enlightening... but slow! And where's the part on hunting bears with spears?!?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Not sure what mullet toss is. I read it as mutton toss for some reason and was impressed at throwing sheep LOL

It's coming up!

AA

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thank ya'll for the comedic relief. Sitting here doing the Texas hunter ed course so I can shoot ferals here in a few weeks. Man, it is slow! Enlightening... but slow! And where's the part on hunting bears with spears?!?
I took it as a class in high school. Even had a live fire part. Opening day of dove season and 1/4 of the trucks in the school parking lot had shotguns in the rear window gun racks. And this was in Austin not a rural area high school.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
It's coming up!

AA
What is a dead mullet? Are we talking about the fish? I hope so. The last guy I saw with a mullet would be pretty hard to toss if he was dead. I’ll just say he was not petite.

edit: nevemind, just read the fine print.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
That's it. The War Department might not be happy, but since she's out of the chicken and egg business I'm buying her a sheep. That woman needs some more farmin' skillz doggone!
But does she need anymore butchering skills? Just saying.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I had the most horrible day today at work. Easily the worst day in 34+ years.
Stupid was in abundance and there was no intelligent life to be found.

And thinking that it couldn’t get worse management has notified me that I am being voluntold to work 6-8 in the morning before my regular shift starts. And I am certain they will keep me another 6 hours after my shift and 5 or 6 hours more on Sunday.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I had the most horrible day today at work. Easily the worst day in 34+ years.
Stupid was in abundance and there was no intelligent life to be found.

And thinking that it couldn’t get worse management has notified me that I am being voluntold to work 6-8 in the morning before my regular shift starts. And I am certain they will keep me another 6 hours after my shift and 5 or 6 hours more on Sunday.
Sorry to hear that. I used to have to work forced 48hr (24hrx2) shifts if my relief didn’t show up. He had COPD and missed more days than he showed. Got to where I just expected to work a 48hr shift every time I went to work.

Top Bottom