What's new

Shoot the Moon

I made my first real attempt at shooting the moon this morning. Still very new at using the manual controls on a camera. Just picked this camera up at the flea market this weekend for a little bit of nothing. It's a Fujifilm Finepix S4200, 14 megapixel 25X zoom point and shoot. I think it's just shy of 600mm equivalent 570 or so. Settings were f8, 1/400 sec, ISO 400. Hand held leaning against my wife's minivan to help stabilize. No manual focus on the camera. Auto focus seemed to work best by putting the sharpest edge halfway in the focus box, but was still pretty hit and miss. So I just kept refocusing and clicking away. First pic is straight off the camera second is a crop with a little playing around with it.
DSCF2873.JPG
DSCF2873 (2).JPG

I made my first real attempt at shooting the moon this morning. Still very new at using the manual controls on a camera. Just picked this camera up at the flea market this weekend for a little bit of nothing. It's a Fujifilm Finepix S4200, 14 megapixel 25X zoom point and shoot. I think it's just shy of 600mm equivalent 570 or so. Settings were f8, 1/400 sec, ISO 400. Hand held leaning against my wife's minivan to help stabilize. No manual focus on the camera. Auto focus seemed to work best by putting the sharpest edge halfway in the focus box, but was still pretty hit and miss. So I just kept refocusing and clicking away. First pic is straight off the camera second is a crop with a little playing around with it.
View attachment 836177 View attachment 836178

Excellent work Troy :thumbup:

Getting good moon shots always proved vexing for me. Generally I either never had a sufficiently long lens when I needed one, couldn't catch the moon at a decent size or as has been the case multiple times, I would be driving to work in the pre-dawn darkness and in a position I just couldn't pull over to grab the shot.

A few years ago a friend of mine brought over his 10" reflector telescope (at least I believe that's what it is) and we set it up in the front yard at night to do some moon gazing. His telescope is sufficiently powerful to see the rings of Saturn, though they are a bit indistinct.

On this particular night I had what I want to remember was one of the small Nikon P&S digital cameras, aimed into the eye piece and snapped away. The movement of the earth causes the moon to move somewhat rapidly as you are viewing it at high magnification, so after a half dozen or so attempts I managed to get one I wouldn't be too terribly ashamed to share.

I would really like to do this again sometime with a camera adapter instead of the crude methodology we used then! My overall sharpness in this pic wasn't the greatest.

Do you have any good shots you've taken you would like to share? Moon gazing has always been a favorite past time mine, even with just a pair of 10x binoculars. Seeing impact craters and surface detail always amazes me.

proxy.php

Very nicely done

When the moon won't cooperate, Photoshop to the rescue. Sky with clouds and contrails taken yesterday afternoon with the moon added from a shot taken moments ago in the backyard.

proxy.php

Back in 2013, about 4 years into "looking up" at night with a 150mm reflecting telescope, I had the brilliant idea of holding my camera, a Canon PowerShot A630, up the the eyepiece. I was just trying something new (for me) and never really did get into shooting pictures through my scope. But on that day, June 13 or 14, I snapped a picture and was so surprised to see the Lunar X!
IMG_3115a.jpg

Back in 2013, about 4 years into "looking up" at night with a 150mm reflecting telescope, I had the brilliant idea of holding my camera, a Canon PowerShot A630, up the the eyepiece. I was just trying something new (for me) and never really did get into shooting pictures through my scope. But on that day, June 13 or 14, I snapped a picture and was so surprised to see the Lunar X!View attachment 837056

Excellent

Back in 2013, about 4 years into "looking up" at night with a 150mm reflecting telescope, I had the brilliant idea of holding my camera, a Canon PowerShot A630, up the the eyepiece. I was just trying something new (for me) and never really did get into shooting pictures through my scope. But on that day, June 13 or 14, I snapped a picture and was so surprised to see the Lunar X!View attachment 837056
I don't think I've heard of Lunar X before, but after a quick google search I can see it in your pic. Awesome shot! :a14:

@troy I didn't see it until the next day or later! I was playing around with the images on my laptop, and noted that white X! I think someone on an Astronomy forum mentioned getting a photo at the same time, and then I realized that I had it in frame without knowing I had! Sometimes observing is like that! I remember the first time seeing the Great Orion nebula in my scope, instead of pictures on the web. At first I thought I'd fogged the eyepiece!

Writing the above makes me determined to get out soon, even if not with my scope, just binos make for great viewing. Soon, the Pleiades will be out, if not already. And there still is a chance to see the Andromeda galaxy, at least if clouds go away. With the time change, it is dark earlier now so by 8 PM one can see some great sights!

Top Bottom