What's new

Shoot the Moon

Back in 2013, about 4 years into "looking up" at night with a 150mm reflecting telescope, I had the brilliant idea of holding my camera, a Canon PowerShot A630, up the the eyepiece. I was just trying something new (for me) and never really did get into shooting pictures through my scope. But on that day, June 13 or 14, I snapped a picture and was so surprised to see the Lunar X!View attachment 837056

Well done!

Seeing celestial objects so close in person is just a different sensation than when seeing it in other mediums. That was exactly my first reaction to seeing it at such magnification...grabbed my camera and put it to the viewfinder.

FYI there is a "Supermoon" occurring this Sunday evening, and as I understand, it will be easily viewable in the evening sky after sunset. These supermoon events occur when the moon will be within 90% of its closest range to earth.

With any luck the weather will hold out and permit some decent pics, or just gazing at it with a pair of binoculars :)

FYI there is a "Supermoon" occurring this Sunday evening, and as I understand, it will be easily viewable in the evening sky after sunset. These supermoon events occur when the moon will be within 90% of its closest range to earth.

With any luck the weather will hold out and permit some decent pics, or just gazing at it with a pair of binoculars :)
Thanks for the tip Lane! I noticed it was pretty big yesterday in the late afternoon, but didn't have a camera on me. I'm planning to have it with me the next few days, even if it's not completely full or the actual supper moon should be some good chances a few days before and after too. It always looks bigger when it's on or near the horizon, check your local listings for rise and set times.

Thanks for the tip Lane! I noticed it was pretty big yesterday in the late afternoon, but didn't have a camera on me. I'm planning to have it with me the next few days, even if it's not completely full or the actual supper moon should be some good chances a few days before and after too. It always looks bigger when it's on or near the horizon, check your local listings for rise and set times.

I'll be out looking for it...looks like weather is supposed to be cooperating. Actually would be great if there is some cloud structure near enough but not obstructing it :thumbup:

Not technically full or the Super moon, yet, won't be until it rises this evening. But here is a shot of it as it set this morning. Pretty cloudy and foggy here this morning so it's not as clear as I hoped, but I was able to get this shot between the clouds.
DSCF4200 (3).JPG

Not technically full or the Super moon, yet, won't be until it rises this evening. But here is a shot of it as it set this morning. Pretty cloudy and foggy here this morning so it's not as clear as I hoped, but I was able to get this shot between the clouds. View attachment 841768

Nice color Troy.

I had to work this morning and the drive in is in the wee hours. Just as I was reaching work I saw the pink moon just at the top of the horizon with light bands of clouds across it. It would have made a FANTASTIC image if only I had camera, tripod and a place to pull over. Totally bummed out at the missed opportunity.

Taken from the Danish sky a couple of hours ago :001_smile

proxy.php

Great shot Søren...I hope to have a shot at it here soon :)

Nice color Troy.

I had to work this morning and the drive in is in the wee hours. Just as I was reaching work I saw the pink moon just at the top of the horizon with light bands of clouds across it. It would have made a FANTASTIC image if only I had camera, tripod and a place to pull over. Totally bummed out at the missed opportunity.
Thanks Lane! It was a last minute rush for me to get this shot. Wish I would have been more ready and had a tripod and a decent back drop for a landscape shot. I did dig the tripod out for tonight though and hopefully have a good backdrop planned. Moon is going to rise in a little over an hour, hoping to have some good shots. Weather looks and feels great!

Great work Troy! It's absolutely huge in your pics. The street scene is excellent.

Couldn't get a shot last night...cloud cover all evening into the early night. I was able to get a few this morning. I was out at 4am and it was high and not frame worthy, but then some clouds moved in to help. A bright moon is always a dynamic range challenge. This was at 4:30am:

proxy.php

Then around 6:30am it started settling behind the tree line:

proxy.php

Thanks guys!
The street scene is the one I went out for, but I missed the actual rise waiting for it to come up. When I checked a few days before it was rising in the middle of the street. I was waiting for it and it was behind the building so I didn't see it. I wound up walking around trying to find a good shot until it got high enough. So now I know next time to just start a the far east end of town and just walk back home stopping for shots along the way. I fell like I really learned a lot between adjusting the settings and moving the tripod around and seeing how zooming and focal lengths can really change a scene. The more you back up and zoom in the bigger the moon gets.

I really like the clouds Lane! It seems like I lose all detail in the moon if I bring the exposure up enough to even start to see the clouds.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Nice photos! One of these days I'm going to climb to the top of the water tower at work and take a photo of the moon, or sunset, or sunrise. At 100+ feet that's a long climb.....

Nice photos! One of these days I'm going to climb to the top of the water tower at work and take a photo of the moon, or sunset, or sunrise. At 100+ feet that's a long climb.....

I need a tower here...too many trees everywhere. Not sure about a 100 footer though :scared:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Every time I go inside I stand and stare up thinking "should I?". Then say nahhhh and move on.

Top Bottom