What's new

Shoot the Moon

Getting good moon shots always proved vexing for me. Generally I either never had a sufficiently long lens when I needed one, couldn't catch the moon at a decent size or as has been the case multiple times, I would be driving to work in the pre-dawn darkness and in a position I just couldn't pull over to grab the shot.

A few years ago a friend of mine brought over his 10" reflector telescope (at least I believe that's what it is) and we set it up in the front yard at night to do some moon gazing. His telescope is sufficiently powerful to see the rings of Saturn, though they are a bit indistinct.

On this particular night I had what I want to remember was one of the small Nikon P&S digital cameras, aimed into the eye piece and snapped away. The movement of the earth causes the moon to move somewhat rapidly as you are viewing it at high magnification, so after a half dozen or so attempts I managed to get one I wouldn't be too terribly ashamed to share.

I would really like to do this again sometime with a camera adapter instead of the crude methodology we used then! My overall sharpness in this pic wasn't the greatest.

Do you have any good shots you've taken you would like to share? Moon gazing has always been a favorite past time mine, even with just a pair of 10x binoculars. Seeing impact craters and surface detail always amazes me.

proxy.php

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
That looks awesome. I like the creative way you captured it too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

IMG_0186.JPG

The shot I'm never prepared for is the moondog. Occasionally on a stunningly cold night, -20f or worse, with a full moon, you see a moondog. A huge crystal halo around the moon. No idea what causes it. It looks like the light from the moon is clearly burning through the atmosphere.

View attachment 784746

The shot I'm never prepared for is the moondog. Occasionally on a stunningly cold night, -20f or worse, with a full moon, you see a moondog. A huge crystal halo around the moon. No idea what causes it. It looks like the light from the moon is clearly burning through the atmosphere.

Amazing view. In another couple of weeks I'll be visiting relatives in the south where there is a much better sky view available than where I am currently located (too many trees here to have a good field of view). I hope to get some additional shots to post.

Thank you for sharing!

View attachment 784746

I had heard it called a fairy ring when I was younger. But whatever you call it, a lunar halo is caused by the way ice crystals in the atmosphere refract the moonlight. It is a beautiful thing on a clear winters night.

I managed to get out this a.m. for a moon shot (among other photography endeavors). The most challenging aspect of telephoto work is moving around the tripod while simultaneously swatting mosquitoes, trying to juggle my reading glasses on and off my head and the fine manually focusing required as the moon is trying to move across my LCD viewfinder. Canon EOS 60D, Canon 35-350 f3.5-5.6L @350mm (effective 560mm), 1/125-f16

proxy.php

And this is just a crop out from the same ~16MP file to see what sort of detail remains:

proxy.php

Back out tomorrow morning for sure!

Excellent!

I was watching my bird feeder with the new Tamron 150-600 and happened to look up and saw a daylight moon. Not a great shot, but the moon visible 3 hours after sun-up is pretty cool.

DSC_3620.JPG

Here are some I took on my cannon 600d and sigma 50-500 a few years ago. God it was a horrible night for an eclipse, so much cloud, but there was a little break right at the perfect time.

moon-4411.jpg
moon-4537.jpg
moon-4572.jpg

Top Bottom