What's new

Shaving in the Summertime

Just ordered 1oz of menthol crystals for $5 shipped on eBay. Hopefully they won't arrive all in one melted log like some have experienced. Looking forward to chilling down some of my aftershaves...

Interesting. How do you employ them?

p.s.: I use Floid in the summer too. I find it refreshing during all the season.

Interesting. How do you employ them?

p.s.: I use Floid in the summer too. I find it refreshing during all the season.

Mine arrived still in small crystals. After some clarification about the contents of the package with SWMBO I just started plopping them in through the reducer of my Lime Sec. Add some. Test. Repeat. Remember that you can always add more but if you put too much in you will have to grin and bear it or dilute your mix.

I just started plopping them in through the reducer of my Lime Sec. Add some. Test. Repeat. Remember that you can always add more but if you put too much in you will have to grin and bear it or dilute your mix.

I didn't want to change a whole bottle of AS so I poured some into another bottle and did my experiments there.

First I poured a tiny amount and, looking for the ultimate freeze, I dropped an equal volume of crystals in. To my amazement they were fully absorbed. It was extremely cold, as expected. I had made just enough for two light applications to the face.

Then I poured a significant amount more AS in and it was diluted as expected.

Then I poured a whole lot of AS in. I've used it twice since then, and both times it seemed colder than that previous stage where I moderately diluted it. There might be something more to it than mere menthol percentage; perhaps volatility is reduced with too much menthol, like there's some sort of golden ratio where you get maximum menthol content with minimum reduction of volatility, or maybe it's some other effect entirely, or maybe it's my imagination.

Since I am new to DE shaving, this will be my first Summer. This thread is giving me lots of ideas. As said before, " I live in Texas, it's always summer here". Citrus sounds really good.

I think Menthol is one of those things that should be in every house. We put some in her "Scentsy" when she had a cold (summer colds suck!) and it cleared her right up.

As summer begins I have put away my scuttles and moved from warm to lukewarm/tepid lather. I shave in a small 1/2 bath w/o an a/c vent so it can be slightly warm (though not really hot with conditioned air coming thru the open door) so the move away from warm lather is seasonal. In August, I will move into my menthol phase.

$IMG_1584.jpg

Hot and Humid here in North Carolina in the summer..
I always keep my Pinaud after shave in the fridge..
Chilled Liliac Vegetal....awesome!

It was 94F and very humid yesterday in Chicago. I was in bad shape when I got home. Sooooo.....
Showered with Mentha body wash from Bath & Body Works
Shaved with green tub Proraso
then finished up with Krampert's Frostbite AS.
That felt really, really good.

Just got the Fine aftershave sampler and I love them all! Great scents and the menthol cools the skin. I like Proraso green with cold water in the summer - I use the pre-shave and cream. Still looking for a great lime or citrus scent in a cream. I've tried Coate's and I'm not too crazy about it. Thinking about getting TOBS grapefruit. What's your favorite?

I hadn't used my Proraso green in a while because I was trying a few others, but today after I got back from the barbershop I used it and wow... that was a great feeling. I do believe this will be my regular for a while.

Top Bottom