What's new

Shaving in the Summertime

Strangely, I use slightly less menthol in summer than the rest of the year. I should be getting my pucks of Stirling Gin & Tonic and Texas On Fire tonight, and I'm stocking up on Clubman SR and Aramis splash. I tend to use more leathery-scented products in summer time as it sticks to my skin and projects better than in cold weather. I still keep at least one Glacial soap and a puck of Black Ice around.
You'd be a very popular man here where I live. Large neighborhood 4th of July cookout last year what a guy should smell like came up and all the ladies were in agreement. While I don't recall what started the topic, it wasn't shaving that much I do know, they ALL said a man should smell like a musky sweat and leather. Not stinky sweat, and mind you this was the largest disappointment of all men involved, they couldn't say what's stinky sweat and what's musky sweat. But get that and your leather and all the ladies would be nodding in approvement.

EDIT: I play it safe and try to always go unscented since my wife changes her mind hourly, it seems. :laugh:

Last edited:
I love menthol and use it year round. My favorites are...

Palmolive Menthol
Gada Cool Mint
Lea Menthol
Ingram
Arko Ice Mint
Stirling Glacial
Alcolado Glacial
Barbon AS
Fine Aftershave American Blend and XXX.
Myrsol Emulsion
Krampert's Frostbite

All these products blow Proraso Green out of the water in both menthol power, performance, and skincare.

I love menthol as well...but my all time favorite soap in the summertime is TBOS AVACADO! Great lather and a light scent.

As a result of this thread I ordered some Krampert's Frostbite which I've now tried a few times. I'm not 100% sold on it but I like the menthol and I like the moisturizing.

I also picked up a pound of menthol crystals which I believe is roughly a lifetime's supply for every B&B member. I have a home splash formula I have been using and it's a wonderful addition to that.

As a result of this thread I ordered some Krampert's Frostbite which I've now tried a few times. I'm not 100% sold on it but I like the menthol and I like the moisturizing.

I also picked up a pound of menthol crystals which I believe is roughly a lifetime's supply for every B&B member. I have a home splash formula I have been using and it's a wonderful addition to that.

Wow! A pound is a bunch! I'm still looking for someplace local to get some if possible.

Just got my menthol crystals....or should I say....lump. Sent from AZ to CA and sat in my mail box in the heat. Does anyone have a pic of a single crystal (next to something) so can get an idea of how much to chip off this lump?

Just got my menthol crystals....or should I say....lump. Sent from AZ to CA and sat in my mail box in the heat. Does anyone have a pic of a single crystal (next to something) so can get an idea of how much to chip off this lump?
You want anywhere from 0.5 to 5% by weight. 1% is pretty bracing so ... try that first.

Just ordered 1oz of menthol crystals for $5 shipped on eBay. Hopefully they won't arrive all in one melted log like some have experienced. Looking forward to chilling down some of my aftershaves...

This morning I used Stirling Mentha Pre-Shave Oil, but then things got interesting when I lathered my soap with cold water and put it over the oil. The menthol chilled even more, magnified by the cold lather. I am going to try that again tomorrow. First time I ever lathered cold, but it worked! Sometimes I use menthol in the soap, too, so I am going to try that with cold water now.

i'm now becoming a mentho-holic. :). re-read the thread and placed an order for some Fine's(sampler pack). I'm looking at some of the pre-shaves. I don't use them much but it can't hurt to try. before this thread i was settled in on parasso green and Taylor of old bond st lemon-lime as my top two summer soaps. now they are the bottom. TOBs might become the choice for spring. but these menthol products. so many to try :)

Parasso green = a slight tingle, light fresh smell, opens tired morning eyes.
stirling Orange chill = walk in freezer, wide eyed and awake and nose flaring crisp winter morning.
stirling Glacial lemon =holy mother of all that is cold! a slap in the face with ice water from a fire hose, sinus clearing, eye watering greatness.

stiling soaps are outstanding, not just for menthol content but offered up a top notch shave. provided a smooth ride the razor second to none. including some 30 dollar soaps/creams i have. my skin feels so smooth and moisturized that i almost don't want to use an aftershave lotion.

+1 on the Stirling Glacial products being extremely cold! I ordered Wintergreen Soap and AS plus Lemon Chill soap. Received my package yesterday and used the wintergreen combo this morning.

HOLY MENTHOL THAT WAS COLD! I'm talking almost TOO cold. It was right in the line between awesome and painful, but ultimately on the awesome side. It feels like rubbing an ice cube over your face, it's that cold.

Previously Fine Snakebite was the coldest I had tried, but that is kind of a 1-2 punch of alcohol burn, then intense menthol cooling. The Stirling is a witch hazel based AS and so it just builds from nice feel to OMG THATS COLD over the course of 20-30 seconds and hangs around for about half an hour. This is definitely going to come in handy for the Texas heat, glad I ordered the big bottle!

I love the Proraso Green triple. Pre shave oil, cream followed by the AS. It is perhaps the smoothest and best shave. I also use cold water throughout my routine.

Two things; looking for recommendations on soap and a cologne that would compliment? Thanks!

Got some Pinaud Lime sec in the mail in Monday and proceeded to load it up with menthol crystals. Now it is somewhere between Fine Snakebite and Stirling Glacial cold.

Top Bottom