What's new

Age, experience and shaving

I had some pretty high end stuff and I either sold it or gave it away. Having tried so many soap and cream combinations it’s down to a couple items. My only high end product left is 1805 shave cream because I never have found anything comparable to the scent. The one thing I do have is a couple backups of my favorite injector razors. However some modern single edge models are out there and if something breaks I might go that direction.

Have never tried their special reserve. I used to like old spice before they changed the recipe.
A special bouquet of whisky, leather and spices with a background of stale cigarettes, ash, over dried cigar wrapper, yellow nicotine fingernails, Borkum riff bourbon ghosted pipe bowl and a 24h fermented human chest hair infusion.

Amazing. Always in rotation.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I used to be content only with high end expensive brushes, soaps, creams etc. Sixty euro tubs of Aqua di Parma shaving cream were the norm. Anything less than a Simpson brush was frowned upon. But in my thirties this all gradually started to change. I guess it's an age thing. All the high end stuff was sold.
I'm kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum. For years I had minimal kit, a Schick Krona, no brush after my broken-down boar disappeared, no aftershave, and crummy bar soaps.

Now since I can afford it I'm enjoying the higher end stuff in my later years.

So I turned 45 this month and realize I have been a traditional wet shaver since I was 29.

I used to be content only with high end expensive brushes, soaps, creams etc. Sixty euro tubs of Aqua di Parma shaving cream were the norm. Anything less than a Simpson brush was frowned upon. But in my thirties this all gradually started to change. I guess it's an age thing. All the high end stuff was sold.

These days I'm happy with 'just' an inexpensive Omega brush or Yaqi. A Chinese made TTO and and a 2 euro tube of Palmolive. And my shaves are just as good if not better.

No real question. Just wanted to share this. Still curious if any other middle aged gents on this fine forum have similar experiences.
I hear ya. As I age (65+) I don't get all hot and bothered about price. Some of my best razors are vintage that I paid $15 for, my soaps are run of the mill (though I do own a tub of Martin de Candre and some SV), and yet, I get an outstanding shave from a tube of Prorasso or Palmolive. As for brushes, I have high end and low end and truthfully, I can't much tell the difference. I tend to use what I like these days. I took the price tags off my gear long ago.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I was always mostly into razors and after shaves and not so much in soaps in brushes. I mostly use synthetics as they dry faster.

Tomorrow I will use the SuperSlant L3++ OC with a Dorco Prime.

I have not yet reached the point where I am not going to overspend on a razor. I also only recently went into AC blades for SE razors.

I have not yet settled down, basically. 😀

I’m 58, been wet shaving over 40 years. I’ve never owned or tried a new make of DE Razor. I’ve always had Vintage Gillette. I did buy a Gillette King C when I was travelling because it was on offer and good quality. I own a synthetic brush but do have a couple of very god quality pure badger.
never tried Artisan soap I buy the supermarket creams, and have 4 Proraso creams. Blades I buy a 100 pack when on offer.
Never really been in the rabbit hole of collecting I use each razor, I am on the lookout for Gillette TTO but only when they are reasonably priced.

Top Bottom