What's new

Your 20% shave

Sometimes when I get home after a day of work, I just feel like taking a shower and going to bed. No elaborate shaving sessions.This is when the Nivea foam from a can comes into action. Paired with my DE I get a great shave in just a couple of minutes. This is my ritual for about every fifth shave, so 20% of my shaves.

Tell me about your routine for when you don't feel like shaving or when there's little time to shave. What products do you use? How do the results compare to your regular routine?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If I want to go brushless, I could either grab a tube of Erasmic gel, or just use the bar soap off the back of the sink. I can quite comfortably use a shave stick that way too, or for that matter, even a blob of cream, but just lathered with wet fingers.

However, if I have a synthetic brush out, or a moderately scrubby badger, and a soap/cream that I trust to give me a good lather without too much fuss (Erasmic shave cream, or Phoenix and Beau, or Wickham's soap), I can still be brush lathered and shaved in under three minutes. So I don't need to forego any shave elements for a quick or effortless shave, unless the only brush(es) I have out aren't conducive to a quick lather (boar hair or floppy badger brushes).

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Instead of soap I'll use Palmolive or Proraso (blue) from a tube. Doesn't save much time, a minute or two at best.

Edit: and a small synthetic brush

When I am tired or in a rush I will use either Cremo Shave Cream, Cella Crema Rapida or Trader Joe's Cream Shave. These all work well brushless and usually I can complete the shave without having to reapply cream. When using these I tend to choose a fairly mild razor like a Tech, SuperSpeed or an Injector and it takes just a few minutes for a decent acceptable shave.

If I'm in a rush I go with Cremo and a two blade cart from dollar shave club. From first water to face to drying face is 4-5 minutes at most. Whereas typical 2 pass DE shave with brush and lather is about 15 minutes from start to end.

My face can handle one cart shave with no problem. But it would need 3-4 days before a second cart shave. DE shaves, on the other hand, can be done daily with a mild razor.

I question those that claim to be able to complete a shave in 2-3 minutes. Part of shaving includes the time it takes to get your products out and ready to go. Also the time it takes to dry your face and put everything away. 2-3 minutes for all that? Really?

Then again, maybe I'm like Kramer, who couldn't figure out how to shower in less than 45 minutes. Giddy up! 😉

Cetaphil gentle cleanser (or top care store brand same stuff) you face doesn’t need to be wet yet to apply, but a little extra water in hands helps to spread it further and soften beard. Then a quick rinse.

Prorasso white can or maybe an Ethos shave stick (usually Proraso).

Moderately efficient razor Paradigm Salient, RR GC 0,76P, etc.

Nacet blade - sharp but efficient and not quite a feather.

One quick pass, maybe a jawline touch up.

Witch hazel splash and a little lotion.

Can perform this all in 3-4 min.

If am tired I either skip shaving or do a quick 2-pass shave CCS/DFS. I use mostly creams and synthetic brush in that case. In today's world (sadly) no one care if you're shaved anymore or do they? Sometimes I feel like I live in a wrong era. I would be much happier in 50s.

In today's world (sadly) no one care if you're shaved anymore or do they? Sometimes I feel like I live in a wrong era. I would be much happier in 50s.
A man should be clean shaven, period.
My grandpa shaved daily with his electric razor.
My own dad never skipped a shave with his Gillette Sensor and later Mach 3 and a can of foam. He still uses the Mach 3 and foam setup to this day.
I shave daily with my DE as well, many times also with foam.

Normally I only shave 3 times a week - my beard is a growing slow and patchy 😅

So normally I can fit 3 full shaves in during the week. But if in a hurry I would reach for Proraso cream instead of my soaps.

Top Bottom