What's new

Shavers of Sharks - SoS

I like the setup, very scientific. I'm curious why you chose the Game Changer. Is it a favorite?
Thanks! Wanted to be very thorough in comparing!

The Game Changer was chosen for a couple reasons. It is well known and many can relate to it and it has been reported by many to be sensitive to different blades. Also have some experiance with this razor with Voskhod and Rapira Lux etc before I got into using Sharks exclusively.

After the Game Changer will be doing more tests with different razors.

252542663_3082623228623798_961249540716834543_n.jpg

Razor: Game Changer 84p
Blade: Shark Platinum (1)
Brush: West Coast Shaving synthetic 26mm knot two tone handle
Soap: PAA Sandalwood Supreme Science CK-6
Splash: PAA Sandalwood Supreme Science
Alum Block

Angle of shave: Very steep
Area of Shave: Neck and beard line
Days growth: 4
Passes: 3 plus touch up. WTG,XTG and ATG
Irritation: Zero
Nicks/cuts: Zero
Weepers: One very minor near Adams apple
Smoothness: Better than Super Stainless
Closeness: BBS
Alum feedback: Mild/Medium
Splash sting: Zero
Ranking: Smoother and closeness similar

Very nice shave that was smoother and less audible feedback than Super Stainless. Closeness/efficiency maybe a tad less, hard to tell if this is due to blade or conditions of lather etc. Still BBS with no irritation with one very minor weeper that happened on second pass. When re-lathered for the third was gone, thinking it was just a minor technical error on my end due to being near Adams Apple.

Closeness required a very slight change in buffing clean up. will be interesting to see how both Super Stainless and Platinum change in the second usage.

Up next in 3-4 days Super Chrome!

20211118_091716.jpg

Behold, the Shark SH.25!
Pulled it out for SOTD "Frugal Shaving Gear Week." It is obviously head-heavy with mild bladefeel and efficiency. Not a bad starter razor. And it comes with two tucks of Platinums.

Last edited:
256042341_633486164489134_9173006924209661998_n.jpg

Blade: Shark Super Chrome (1)
Alum Block

Passes: 3 plus touch up. WTG,XTG and ATG more touch ups/buffing than other blades
Weepers: Zero
Smoothness: Good
Alum feedback: slight sting and feedback
Ranking: Less smooth and less efficiency, required more touchups

Well to be honest I thought the Super Chrome would be notably different than the Super Stainless and platinum. This was not the case as all three seem to work well in the Game Changer. The Chromes needed more buffing and touchups but still got BBS in the end with more Alum feedback (thinking do to the more buffing) over all another good shave.

Round one summery:

Super Stainless: Most audible and seems to have the most efficiency at the cost of smoothness compared to the platinum.
Platinum: Best overall with great smoothness and efficiency
Super Chrome: Requires a tad more effort for BBS

Smoothness
1. Platinum
2. Super Stainless
3. Super Chrome

Closeness and efficiency
1. Super Stainless
2. Platinum (very close to Stainless)
3. Super Chrome

Audible feedback (loudest)
1. Super Stainless
2. Super Chorme
3. Platinum

Well not a good morning that will effect results...

A rushed prep that lead to lather problems (not well hydrated and rushed) also no photo... was a morning to say the least...

Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2)
Alum Block

Irritation: slight at bottom of neck. also some redness
Weepers: Two small weepers at the bottom of neck
Smoothness: Surprising very smooth
Closeness: DFS+ with parts BBS since it is very close with a slight micro stubble above Adams apple (user error/lather?)
Alum feedback: Sting and feedback along said issues
Ranking: smooth and efficient with some shaving issues as noted.

All things considered the second Super Stainless was to me better than Super Chrome first use. As noted it was rushed and the lather was very subpar do to me... I have some redness and irritation on the bottom of my neck and a missed spot above my Adams apple (DFS+ but not BBS). These issues where 100% user error and have damaged the results. The lather issue was more of a paste and not hydrated at all do to being rushed. Over all not the worst shave and it was a much closer shave then I was expecting. Needless to say I am not happy with keeping this consistent. Was it an awful shave... no... was it ideal, far from it.
The only good take away is PAA CK6 can semi work when loaded to brush a pasted on like crack filler....

260787307_948335215814139_1359119897425559599_n.jpg

Blade: Shark Platinum (2)
Alum Block

Days growth: 3
Smoothness: Extremely Surprising
Alum feedback: No feedback
Ranking: smooth and efficient

Wow what a great shave this morning with no lather issues this time. Shark Platinum are very impressive!

Well a tad late!!
263310094_887902668595494_8258633766019009930_n.jpg

Blade: Super Chrome (2)
Alum Block

Days growth: 5!
Smoothness: Very smooth
Closeness: BBS- not as close as Palatium
Alum feedback: Zero
Ranking: Extremely surprising!

Wow this was very surprising as the first round of the Super Chrome wasn't as good as Super Stainless or Platinum. Beginning to think all the variation is me not the blades? The Alum block felt like an ice cube nothing more as in no sensation! The finish was BBS barley but can't complain and overall wasn't expecting the second use to be so good.

This has changed my perception... was expecting Platinum, Super Stainless then Chrome in that order...

Enjoy the beard growing and the shaving sabbatical!!! (Having a beard myself, shave that neck!!!)
20211203_105652.jpg

Yeah, I need to keep the beard tidy as I'm starting a business. Shaving the cheeks and neckline gives me some satisfaction. This was yesterday's gear, the Platinum is on 4th use I think.

Sorry I haven't checked in to SoS lately. Usually I get notifications when people post in the thread, but I have not gotten any recently for some reason.

Well a tad late!!
View attachment 1372101

Blade: Super Chrome (2)
Alum Block

Days growth: 5!
Smoothness: Very smooth
Closeness: BBS- not as close as Palatium
Alum feedback: Zero
Ranking: Extremely surprising!

Wow this was very surprising as the first round of the Super Chrome wasn't as good as Super Stainless or Platinum. Beginning to think all the variation is me not the blades? The Alum block felt like an ice cube nothing more as in no sensation! The finish was BBS barley but can't complain and overall wasn't expecting the second use to be so good.

This has changed my perception... was expecting Platinum, Super Stainless then Chrome in that order...
I hear a lot of blades become sharper after the first use. That may be what's going on with the Chrome.

Love shark blades taught scuba for 15 years and part of that time I lead shark dives daily :)
to me using a blade for a reason is kinda reason enough :) and fun love the package so glad the platinum is decent and one of them is also nice and one is not so nice :) forgot which one but its set aside :)

Break in the Game Changer testing...
262968561_1267864403731804_2533329782033439233_n.jpg

Razor: PAA Meta-4
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (3)
Brush: WCS two tone synthetic
Soap: Goodfellas smile Abysso
Splash: Goodfellas smile Abysso

WOW!!! most comfortable shave ever! Zero blade feel and zero alum feedback, felt like an ice cube. Efficiency like the game changer 84p and mild and comfortable. Nothing compares in smoothness and mildness!

If I really feel around my neck maybe DFS+ or BBS-, truly incredible felt more mild than a Game Changer 68 or Mamba. Shaving steep angle works with maybe a tad more neutral. Played around with different angles... even.... shallow.... SASA shudder....

Top Bottom