What's new

Help me find the BEST blade (or two or three)

(I posted this as part of another thread, but I think it is getting lost because of that thread title)

As a newbie+++ (not brand new, but not nearly as experienced as many here), the "hunt" for the BEST or PERFECT or FOREVER blade seems elusive, confusing, and inundating as there are hundreds of blades/variations (e.g., Derby Professional and Derby Extra), plus the many iterations of different countries some blades have traveled (eg, Wilkinson Sword (at least 4 countries: England, Germany, China and I think I am missing one).

The point is that *I* am looking for a great blade for me. Naturally, the popular reply is "try out several and see what works for you; move up as you get more experienced" and so on. On the surface (more puns), this all makes sense. BUT BUT BUT, the # of blade permutations to tryout are overwhelming, and while some peopelk will steer you clear of, for example, Derby (see quote above), I find that is untrue (and unfair) to the blade and the new shaver/gentlman.

I DID try a Derby Extra 🙄 in Merkur 34c and the shave was VERY good. I did 3 passes, nice and slowly, carefully for a beginner (actually used FACE lather method, which I much prefer) and then I used my Vikings Emperor Meiji (adjusted to 3--OMG!!--using the "comb" side of that DE razor) using a Derby Extra (not same blade as in the Merkur--a fresh one in each). While some people may truly be horrified, the shave was incredibly close. So it took 4 passes? Meh. No biggie, I *assume* many of us here ENJOY (that is the point (more puns)) the time shaving often for aficionados and "hobbyists" such as us on here. (There are 260M Americans (I know we have International people here, too! 😀👍🏼) but only a sliver (more puns) are on here.

ANYWAY, The Derby Extra gets short shrift. It is an excellent blade when, perhaps, paired with the right razor. (And, of course, we know the basics:

Platinum in/on a blade helps maintain a sharp edge; Tungsten reduces corrosion; Chromium helps maintain sharpness and so on.

So while the Derby Extra that I used yesterday is not an Astra Superior Platihum (Green), Feather or Personna Platinum Chrome (just to name a few very popular brands/specs), it is a fantastic blde (very forgiving, great for sensitive skin/beginners; not great on coarse, so on), it is still a GREAT blade. (Sounds like I am defending it a bit!)

👉🏼 👉🏼 👉🏼 In any event, I AM curious to know that if you could only take THREE different blades to use for the rest of your life, what would it be? The more people that answer, the more informed and %%%s do make a difference in my book. I assume Feather will be on the list. 😍

Cheers; Happy New Year.

Gillette Silver blue, Gillette Perma-sharp, Gillette 7oClock SP , excellent blades, Sharp and Smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Are these "forgiving"? Are they supppppppper sharp.

As of now, I have been using Derby Extra (no cringing allowed!) in a Merkur 34c for first three passes, THEN I use the Vikings Emperor Meiji with a Derby Extra as well (its own separate blade) on adjusted setting 3 or such (great feedback)
Nacet, Lab Blue, permasharp
Yes, I have Nacet. Used it a couple times. Sharper than Derby Extra, very apparent, even for a noob. 👀

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Are these "forgiving"? Are they supppppppper sharp.

As of now, I have been using Derby Extra (no cringing allowed!) in a Merkur 34c for first three passes, THEN I use the Vikings Emperor Meiji with a Derby Extra as well (its own separate blade) on adjusted setting 3 or such (great feedback)

Yes, I have Nacet. Used it a couple times. Sharper than Derby Extra, very apparent, even for a noob. 👀
Perma-sharp would be the sharpest IMO but still smooth.

Perma-sharp would be the sharpest IMO but still smooth.

I "get it" and understand sharp but smooth. However, the dictionary seems to feel differently:

Sharp: "having an edge or point that is able to cut or pierce something"
Smooth "a flat, regular surface or appearance by running one's hand over it."

Sounds a bit contradictory but in the DE world we live in, makes sense. 😱

I did this took a long time :)
tried about 60 blades and compared and compared again
for me the side by side shaving and narrowing down by moving on from the ones I did not like

So IMHO just trying a TON of blades is the only way you will find YOUR best :)

blades vary so much what one person says is best I found horrid and of course some I agree with what is the best

so YUP just going to have to try as many as you can :)

For me I have no direct favorite. I for some reason can get a full week worth of shaves using the great majority of blades. The derby extra gets a lot of flack but even the lowly derby extra gets me a week's worth of shaves. Can I tell some difference between blades? Sure but the differences are not that big. I am not sure a new shaver can evaluate blades adequately, because their technique is not developed yet. Do I think then you have to be a master shaver to evaluate blades? Not at all. What I do say is to work with that blade for a month or two to develop shaving skills first. Then start trying different blades, if you so choose to. This has been my experience.

Uh-oh, you admit to liking Derby Extra. I'm sorry, but you will have to turn in your wet shaver card now. (j/k)

That just goes to show, there are many good blades out there. You don't necessarily have to have THE BEST to get a good shave.

Now, ask about favorites, and I'd say blades such as Perma-Sharp Super, Personna Lab Blue (or Med Prep) and BIC Chrome Platinum. That is based mostly on how many of each I've got stockpiled. I've got quite a few Feathers, also, but you said three blades...

My favorites: Feather, Personna (all of them I've tried), Super-Max

At least very close and maybe in the same category for me but less sure: Derby, RK

I agree about Derby. I think they've often been seen as kind of mediocre or something, which is why I didn't try them for years but for me they've been very smooth and consistent, solid blades. Not the absolute sharpest maybe but enough to give me a good shave each blade.

I really do think it's hard to predict what will work for someone and their setup. A lot of the blades that I didn't care for as much are blades a lot of people like, and I've heard people express displeasure about blades I love.

One thing that might be helpful is to think of it less in terms of finding the absolute best blade, either in general or for you, and more in terms of finding a blade or blades that you really love, however many that might be. It might be one or two or six or twenty blades that fall into that category. You're just not going to try all of them, but that's not a bad thing. It just gives you more to explore.

Also, don't be afraid to throw blades out if they are bothering you for whatever reason. Try a lot but don't feel like you have to spend time you don't want with blades you don't like; focus on the ones you do like.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I started out using an AC razor... There are only a few blade choices.... I found the ones I like best after a couple months. After 5 and a half months, I started venturing into DE razors and the blade choices were overwhelming for me.

I cheated.... I bought the favorites of people here. I only have a few difference ones in any volume. If I had to limit it to three, I guess I'd say Perma-Sharp, Nacet and Wizamet. I have a few Kai blades... and I need to use them more often. I use Perma-Sharp blades more than any other at this point.... For me, they are sharp but I get smooth shaves using them, to make that distinction.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I "get it" and understand sharp but smooth. However, the dictionary seems to feel differently:

Sharp: "having an edge or point that is able to cut or pierce something"
Smooth "a flat, regular surface or appearance by running one's hand over it."

Sounds a bit contradictory but in the DE world we live in, makes sense. 😱
Oh the learning curve can be interesting.

Top Bottom