What's new

My Top Ten Blades

So I've been at this thing long enough now and have tried enough different blades to have a pretty good idea of which blades I like best. Of course, sometimes a blade I like in one razor doesn't work as well with another, etc. But in general, these are my Top Ten blades:

1) Gillette Nacet
2) Gillette Perma-Sharp
3) Astra Superior Platinum
4) Bolzano Superinox
5) Voskhod
6) Rapira Platinum Lux
7) Wizamet Super Iridium/PolSilver Super Iridium
8) Derby Extra
9) Shark Super Stainless
10) Gillette Platinum

Obviously, there are a lot of blades I haven't tried yet: none of the Wilkinson Sword series, Feathers (although I have some I haven't broken out yet), a kazillion Treets (they're in the queue), Sputniks (can't find any), Ladas (same), Personnas and many more. I will get to some, probably won't get to others, as the blades I already have I really like.
None of the blades I listed are "bad". In fact, all are quite good.
It's interesting and, frankly, kind of sad that my top six blades are all made in Russia. Or were. Who knows where they'll be made in the future, if made at all. Some blades like the Wizamet Super Iridium and Bolzano Superinox seem already to have disappeared from the market. We'll see what happens in the future.
So I'm genuinely curious: what are your favorite blades?

I can’t rank them, but I’ve settled on these 10 in the past few years.

Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Astra SP
Wizamet
Feather
Voskhod
Personna Lab Blue
Wilkinson Sword (India)

It’s splitting hairs. In fact, I can’t really tell the difference much between these 10. They are all sharp and work great.

I can’t rank them, but I’ve settled on these 10 in the past few years.

Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Astra SP
Wizamet
Feather
Voskhod
Personna Lab Blue
Wilkinson Sword (India)

It’s splitting hairs. In fact, I can’t really tell the difference much between these 10. They are all sharp and work great.
If I were blindfolded, I doubt I could tell much difference between any of them either. They're all high quality blades.

Based on how much I have used them, the only blades I can really claim as favourites are:

Feather
Personna IP
Russian Permasharps
Astra SP

Most of the PPI blades are perfectly serviceable and I can happily use all of them. I have been through quantities of 7OC SS and SE, and GSBs in the past, but wouldn't class them as favourites. I don't like any Mostochlegmash blades I have tried.

Recently, I have been discovering the Lord offerings and have purchased Lord Platinums and Silver Stars in bulk. I have also tried a few Supermax offerings and purchased SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum in bulk. I would purchase Indian Wilkies in bulk if the price was better. Currently waiting for a selection of LOI and Treet tucks to land and see if there are any gems there. I used to be less price conscious, but as I get fewer shaves out my blades these days, I am more interested in finding the bargains!

SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium
Wizamet Super Iridium
Lord Silver Star
Personna Med Prep
Astra Superior Stainless
Sputnik
Gillette Permasharp
Gillette 7 OC Super Platinum ( Russian )
Gillette 7 OC Super Platinum ( Indian )
Treet Durasharp ( Yellow wrapper )

Ask me next year and I bet I'd have 2-3 new blades on here.

That's an impressive list.

As a newcomer to our wet shaving lifestyle, I don't have as large a sample size to choose from, so I thought I would share the blades I have purchased in quantities (100 or more) as a separate cutoff. These are:

Astra Superior Platinum
Bic Chrome Platinum
Lord Silver Star
Treet 7 Days

Interestingly, the only blade on your list that I know I would not pursue is Voskhod. Those blades are great for a lot of folks, but they just don't work for me.

Thanks for the discussion!

My 10 favorite blades in no particular order:
Personna Lab/Med Prep
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Astra SP
Super-Max Blue Diamond
Dorco ST series
Dorco Prime
BiC Chrome Platinum
Lord Silver Star
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge
Tie Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless and Gillette Minora Stainless

SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium
Wizamet Super Iridium
Lord Silver Star
Personna Med Prep
Astra Superior Stainless
Sputnik
Gillette Permasharp
Gillette 7 OC Super Platinum ( Russian )
Gillette 7 OC Super Platinum ( Indian )
Treet Durasharp ( Yellow wrapper )

Ask me next year and I bet I'd have 2-3 new blades on here.
Excellent list!
And I'll bet a year from now I'll have a few new blades in my list too.

That's an impressive list.

As a newcomer to our wet shaving lifestyle, I don't have as large a sample size to choose from, so I thought I would share the blades I have purchased in quantities (100 or more) as a separate cutoff. These are:

Astra Superior Platinum
Bic Chrome Platinum
Lord Silver Star
Treet 7 Days

Interestingly, the only blade on your list that I know I would not pursue is Voskhod. Those blades are great for a lot of folks, but they just don't work for me.

Thanks for the discussion!
It's funny ... I wasn't originally a huge fan of the Voskhod either but for some reason it's working for me now.
I can't explain it. But now I like it. 🤷‍♂️

Great question!

Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Wizamet Super Iridium
Feather
Astra Super Platinum
Voskhod
Rapira Platinum Lux
Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack

Unfortunately, I don't have a tenth blade that I can include in this list.

Cheers!
❤️🪒
Great choices, Beto. 🙂
I'm tempted to try the Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack but I have too many blades already. 😃
I love the Wizamet Super Iridiums and would have placed them higher on my list but can't find 'em anymore. 😥

My 10 favorite blades in no particular order:
Personna Lab/Med Prep
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Astra SP
Super-Max Blue Diamond
Dorco ST series
Dorco Prime
BiC Chrome Platinum
Lord Silver Star
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge
Tie Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless and Gillette Minora Stainless
You have a lot of choices on there I haven't tried yet: the Personnas, Super-Maxes, Dorcos, Bics, Lord Silver Stars (although I love their Shark Super Stainless and Lord Platinums) and the whole 7 O'Clock line. Very interesting blade choices ... and I'm sure I'll explore at least some of them down the road.

Man, I’m a sucker for this kind of thread:

1. Personna lab blue
2. Wilkinson sword (Germany)
3. Gillette Platinum
4. Gillette Nacet
5. Lord something
6. Permasharp
7. Gillette Minora
8. Derby Premium
9. Wizemet Super Iridium
10. Voskhod

The Minora, Voskhod, and Derby definitely pair better in a more aggressive razor, and tug a bit too much in a milder razor. Likewise, I don’t like to use something like a nacet in an aggressive razor. Personna and Wilkie are my favorites and work well in everything. You should try them!

Great choices, Beto. 🙂
I'm tempted to try the Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack but I have too many blades already. 😃
I love the Wizamet Super Iridiums and would have placed them higher on my list but can't find 'em anymore. 😥
I really like the Wilkinson Sword Saloon Pack with the R41 as they are quite smooth and at a great price.
My Wizamet was purchased some time ago at parfum-luxe on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/usr/parfum-luxe
It looks like they still have them for sale.

Congratulations on the post, my friend!

Cheers!
❤️🪒

Man, I’m a sucker for this kind of thread:

1. Personna lab blue
2. Wilkinson sword (Germany)
3. Gillette Platinum
4. Gillette Nacet
5. Lord something
6. Permasharp
7. Gillette Minora
8. Derby Premium
9. Wizemet Super Iridium
10. Voskhod

The Minora, Voskhod, and Derby definitely pair better in a more aggressive razor, and tug a bit too much in a milder razor. Likewise, I don’t like to use something like a nacet in an aggressive razor. Personna and Wilkie are my favorites and work well in everything. You should try them!
I would concur with your opinion that the Voskhod and Derby pair better with aggressive razors (I have no experience with the Minora). They're relatively mild blades but, man, I really like 'em. I also agree that a Nacet in an aggressive razor wouldn't be my top choice ...
I'm sure I'll try more blades as time goes by the Wilkinsons and Personnas and would really like to try the Minoras as well.

Last edited:
It's funny ... I wasn't originally a huge fan of the Voskhod either but for some reason it's working for me now.
I can't explain it. But now I like it. 🤷‍♂️

I have always liked Voshkod's. But their price has more than doubled. At under $10, they were a great "value menue" GSB type blade. Now they sell for more than the GSB's, close to $20/hundred.

If you like blades like Voshkod's and GSB, try the Treet King. They are normally about $16. Lately, they have been selling for under $10/hundred on Amazon, a great price on an excellent blade.

To me, they are quite similar to the Gillette 7-O'clock Black. But the Black's have really gone up in price and are now $32/100.

Top Bottom